What's new

Philips Electric Razor Upgrade

I've been shaving with DE and cartridge razors for many years but have recently had some issues with razor bumps. I'm going to swap to an electrical shaver for the time being, to be a bit gentler on my skin whilst I try and treat these. I already have a Philips SensoTouch model which I've swapped to at the moment, however, I've never been that impressed with the results, in both closeness and comfort of the shave. I'm also sensitive to sound and find it a bit noisy when in use, so I'm wondering if the more modern models would run a bit more quietly. As I'm looking for a quiet shaver, I presume foils will be out of the question as I've read these tend to be noisier than rotarys.

Therefore, I've been looking at the Philips Series 3000 and 5000 shavers. From the Philips UK website, they seem to get 4.4/5 stars vs 3.6/5 stars for my older model, so I guess they do perform a bit better.

I've read mixed opinions on both the newer models. Some say the 3000 is a solid option and it's not really worth spending more on the 5000. I also note that the 5000 series model is the new replacement for my now discontinued 7000 SensoTouch model, so wondering if the 3000 would technically be a downgrade?

Philips 3000 - £55

Philips 5000 - £84

If anyone has experience on these models and can comment on how they compare in terms of quietness, closeness and comfort of shave, it would be much appreciated! Also if you think it's worth upgrading at all and whether the 5000 is worth the £30 extra over the 3000. Thanks in advance!

Model I already own:

Philips RQ1145/17 Series 7000 SensoTouch​

proxy.php

There's a thread in this section that might be helpful:

And this link:

I haven't used an electric shaver for about 15 years, but in the past I've used Phillips, Braun and Panasonic. I found that the Panasonic was the best shaver of the three by a country mile. Of course, 15 years is a long time and products change over time, but I would suggest that it might be worth your while reading some recent reviews on Panasonic products. Just my 2p worth.

Outside the box here, but I've hung onto a Philips oneblade (uk version) and have found that for a mid week quick while at work shave wet or dry, it does really very well. Infact I took it on holiday with me as I knew id have nothing to worry about. Just gives me a decent enough shave to keep me looking tidy.

I have the model @Scaramouche posted about in another thread. Comes with a nifty cleaning station powered by the razor. No extra cords on the cabinet.

The razor is quiet, less noisy and less vibration than the Braun foil razors. I do find the Braun easier to shave with. Like mowing the lawn, straight lines instead of circles.

I think the ULTIMATE solution for skin irritation is a good straight razor with an awesome edge. Yes it is a learning curve, and yes they are a maintenance item, but as you know, you only get what you paid for - in terms of money and time.

• Sad
Reactions: ctr
Top Bottom