What's new

Philips 6000 or 7000 or 9000 series ?

Hi all,
I have been using razor untill now and planning to shift to electric shaver. I did my study and decided to go with Philips and in last step of making decision for which I need some guidance. Mine is not sensitive skin and I usually expect clean shave. I have shortlisted Philips 9000, 7000 and 6000 series. 9000 and 7000 have 8 directional movement of blade heads and 6000 has 5 directional. 7000 and 9000 are costly compared to 6000. Hence my questions,
1. Does 8 directional movement plays very important role in getting clean shave?
2. Do we need to be serious in buying 9000 version or it doesn’t matter even if we buy 7 or 6000 series also?
3. Any other suggestions please.

I have found the newer Braun foil shavers give a smoother more comfortable shave than the newer Philip's rotary shavers. I use both Braun Series-7, and Series-9 shavers. I don't recommend anything below the Braun Series-5, which by the way also always gave me a smooth comfortable shave.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Hi all,
I have been using razor untill now and planning to shift to electric shaver. I did my study and decided to go with Philips and in last step of making decision for which I need some guidance. Mine is not sensitive skin and I usually expect clean shave. I have shortlisted Philips 9000, 7000 and 6000 series. 9000 and 7000 have 8 directional movement of blade heads and 6000 has 5 directional. 7000 and 9000 are costly compared to 6000. Hence my questions,
1. Does 8 directional movement plays very important role in getting clean shave?
2. Do we need to be serious in buying 9000 version or it doesn’t matter even if we buy 7 or 6000 series also?
3. Any other suggestions please.

Head movement effects comfort more than closeness. Even old Norelcos that don't have much play in the heads are capable of shaving relatively close.

1. No
2. No
3. Any of the above.

The Philip's 6000 and 7000 Series shavers use the SH60/70 heads which have the "ComfortGlide" rings, and provide the most comfortable shave of any rotary in my opinion, but not quite as close as the 9000 Series SH90 heads, which with the upgraded SH90/72 heads provide the closest shave of any rotary, IMO. Any of these shavers will give you a close (enough), comfortable shave. The additional head movement will - maybe - give you a marginal benefit in comfort, but the fact is if you are pushing hard enough to go through all possible movements of either head you are likely pushing too hard. Easy does it with a rotary. And the transition from a blade shave to an electric does take time - particularly with a rotary. Expect a couple of weeks - likely longer - at least, to see the maximum benefit.

I have found the newer Braun foil shavers give a smoother more comfortable shave than the newer Philip's rotary shavers. I use both Braun Series-7, and Series-9 shavers. I don't recommend anything below the Braun Series-5, which by the way also always gave me a smooth comfortable shave.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

I've never been a fan of the shave from the Philips razors. Braun is my choice for electric as well, and suggest the 7 series. Always gave a close shave.

To answer the first two questions:

1. An irrelevant amount. Foil quality and a slight flex will serve better in this capacity.

2. Probably not. Any brand's mid-range will be decent enough.

I've never been a fan of the shave from the Philips razors. Braun is my choice for electric as well, and suggest the 7 series. Always gave a close shave.

To answer the first two questions:

1. An irrelevant amount. Foil quality and a slight flex will serve better in this capacity.

2. Probably not. Any brand's mid-range will be decent enough.
Good thanks can you suggest one or 2 Barun models also let me check them out too

I’m also partial to foil type shavers. I have found that Braun shavers give a close and comfortable shave. I use a Braun 7983s model. I had a Panasonic shaver before and it also gave me a close shave but slightly more aggressive on my face. No one can give you exact advice because everyone has different thickness beard and different skin. Every shaver manufacturer offers at least a thirty day return policy if you decide you don’t like their shaver you can send it to them prepaid. I think Braun’s return policy is two months. Regardless, you need to shave with your new shaver daily for a couple of weeks to allow your beard and skin to become acclimated to your new shaver. If you order the shaver from Amazon, they accept returns within 30 days no question asked.

Hi all thanks for all suggestions I did my analysis and some how feel Philips can suite my skin. But I have one question I have shortlisted below and need suggestions,
1. Philips – S9711 – this comes with cleaning unit but launched in 2014. I feel its costly
2. Philips - S9721 – this 2018 model but doesn’t come with cleaning unit. This is 10 euros more than above model 9711
3. Philips - S6640/44 – this is 2019 model but as its 6 series I am not sure whether it will give complete and clean shave.

Now,
1. Does 6 series give complete shave?
2. Is cleaning unit very important to be taken to consideration?
3. Can I consider S9711 with cleaning unit even though its 2014 model?
4. Is it good to go with 2018 model S9721 even though it doesn’t have cleaning unit ?
5. Any other suggestions please ?

I just returned my 6800 because of the closeness of shave. I don’t think a cleaning station is needed with a Phillips. The head comes competely apart for easy rinsing under the faucet.

i get very good results from my Panasonic Arc 4. It too is easy to clean.

I just returned my 6800 because of the closeness of shave. I don’t think a cleaning station is needed with a Phillips. The head comes competely apart for easy rinsing under the faucet.

I assume you returned it for lack of closeness. My experience has been that a foil shaver will shave closer than a rotary. I also agree that a cleaning station is a waste of counter space, electricity, water and money. 🥵👎

Hi so you mean 6000 series did not give you close shave?

Hi all after many suggestions here I again revisited my research and understood foil shavers will give closer shave than rotary. My main purpose is to get clean shave hence shortlisted few Braun models and need help in finalizing. As I am not in US, model names are little different.

Series 5
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B071WVXLDZ...ements=p_89:Braun&rnid=669059031&sr=8-10&th=1
I think this is launched in 2017

Series 7
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07DTC152N...refinements=p_89:Braun&rnid=669059031&sr=8-21
I think this is launched in 2018

Series 8
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07SLNCW5F...refinements=p_89:Braun&rnid=669059031&sr=8-17
I think this is launched in 2019

Series 9
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07FD3JT3N...refinements=p_89:Braun&rnid=669059031&sr=8-31
Launched in 2018

My need is simple, easy handling and shaver which gives me complete shave is needed. I have black hair and not sensitive skin

Braun foils are among the top foil shavers and will indeed give you a close and smooth shave. The shavers you have listed have progressively more features, top to bottom, but added features won't necessarily give you a closer shave, just perhaps better speed, comfort and convenience. The Series 5 and 7 models, incidentally, have newer models than shown. I have only personally used the (older) Series 7 and Series 9, and can recommend either of them without reservation - they are both excellent shavers. The shaves are very similar among these, because the head design is similar. You could perhaps separate them for your preferences based on whether you want a cleaning station (I assume not since none of your listed shavers have one), whether you want a smaller head (5 or 7 = smaller), whether you shave wet or dry (although I believe all of those listed provide both), and whether you want or need the additional features provided by the higher Series numbers (mainly display and battery life). Also how much you want to spend.

You didn't mention the new Series 6, which along with the new Series 7 has a radically different design for Braun, but likely provides a similar shave as well, but not much data currently. Honestly there is little to seperate these other than cost and the shaver head, which is larger in the Series 8 and 9, and if you're not sure whether a foil shaver will meet your expectations you might start with the least expensive of them. I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of these.

Last edited:
Braun foils are among the top foil shavers and will indeed give you a close and smooth shave. The shavers you have listed have progressively more features, top to bottom, but added features won't necessarily give you a closer shave, just perhaps better speed, comfort and convenience. The Series 5 and 7 models, incidentally, have newer models than shown. I have only personally used the (older) Series 7 and Series 9, and can recommend either of them without reservation - they are both excellent shavers.

Thanks for immediate response. 2 points.
1. These were models which i was able to find in amazon here did not 2019 models in series 7 and series 5.
2. So your suggestion is go go ahead either with series 7 or series 9 and both of them are equally good is my understanding correct ?

Thanks for immediate response. 2 points.
1. These were models which i was able to find in amazon here did not 2019 models in series 7 and series 5.
2. So your suggestion is go go ahead either with series 7 or series 9 and both of them are equally good is my understanding correct ?

I expanded on the above for a bit more detail. There are tons of reviews on all of these, but the main difference in the 7 and 9 is the size of the shaver head. If you haven't used a foil, a smaller head might be easier to adapt to, which would be the Series 7, and the older 7 is certainly cheaper. Having said that, I use a Series 9 for a number of reasons - the locking mechanism for the head on the 7 (a button on the head that locks the head from swiveling) is notoriously weak and prone to breakage. Not a show-stopper, and many in fact don't even use this feature. The other functional weakness is the built-in trimmer, which on the 7 is a pretty flimsy flip-up arrangement, also notoriously prone to breakage. Both the trimmer and the head lock are more robust in the 9. Again, not show-stoppers, and the overall build of the 7 is more solid than the 9, with actual metal in critical parts of the head rather than plastic. The other difference is the battery, which in the 7 is the older NiMh and the 9 is newer Li-Ion. NiMh batteries will not last as long, but for the life of the shaver that may not be significant. The larger head on the 9 does provide a quicker shave for me, but not significantly better than the 7. The 7 also has an adjustable speed, where in the 9 it is automatic based on your beard, but many find either function not really significant. Either shaver will proved a smooth, comfortable shave with practice, and both are considered top-of-the-line foils.

Hi Guys, i found series 7 with charging station at the same price for series 7 without charging station. Now my question is if i buy series 7 with charging station is the model like it gets charged only with charging station ? Cant we charge series 7 bought with charging station seperately without charging station. I am just thinking in case i take with charging station it should not be like i need to carry it every where when i go for trip etc

Hi Guys, i found series 7 with charging station at the same price for series 7 without charging station. Now my question is if i buy series 7 with charging station is the model like it gets charged only with charging station ? Cant we charge series 7 bought with charging station seperately without charging station. I am just thinking in case i take with charging station it should not be like i need to carry it every where when i go for trip etc

You can charge the Series 7 with just the cord, and the voltage automatically adjusts - I keep a spare cord for travel charging, but you can use the cord that came with the cleaning station. Takes about an hour for a full charge, or 5 minutes or so for one shave. None of the wet/dry shavers can be used as corded shavers - i.e., shaving with the cord attached.

I did not get a very close shave with the 6800 Phillips. My wife also tried it and didn‘t like it either. The Panasonic Arc 4 gives a closer shave by some reviewers than the Braun 7. I think Amazon has them at a very good price right now. The new Braun’s are not available in the states until January 21

Therefore I have not seen any reviews. Just remember new is not always better.

Hi all,
Based on all inputs/guidance in this thread I have almost decided to go with Braun series 7. Series 9 is costly to me.
I am getting series 7 model with station for 10 euros more than without station, hence planning to go with station.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01IN8LBOY/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&th=1

But this model I think is available from 2016. I hope there are no new models in 7000 series which are launched later to this model with same performance which I have missed to consider. If so please suggest/guide me.

Top Bottom