What's new

Phasing out tallow shaving soaps in the EU?

It can - fresh from the brick (bag) it’s almost a stiff cream and can be scooped and lathered like a cream. The tub product that I had was stiffer, about like a normal Italian croap. The 3P that I have in a Nuavia coffret has hardened to MdC-like consistency.

The answer is probably how much that it’s ‘aired out’ before we get it, but it can range from very soft to hard. This is true of ABC cream too, when you open a tub it’s a cream but it won’t stay that way long, it hardens up nicely.

I like this idea, though I don't think I could use a whole kilo of 3P. Maybe I will split one, who knows?

I can see it does have similar ingredients to MdC, but does it really shave about the same, once it has cured?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Can you share the link for that?

The brick still has tallow on it?

No 3P is not a tallow soap, never has been. I was responding mostly to @Multum in parvo post #86 about a non-tallow Tabac alternative.

Looking for the link, but

8FCECE1A-EA68-4017-8FEC-DFEA7CC03557.jpeg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I like this idea, though I don't think I could use a whole kilo of 3P. Maybe I will split one, who knows?

I can see it does have similar ingredients to MdC, but does it really shave about the same, once it has cured?

Well, in the states 150ml of 3P in a tub from IB was around $16-17 plus shipping back when you could get it, maybe 18 months ago.

1000ml of 3P from Connaught was $26 delivered to the US, also about 18 months ago. So that’s $10 more for another 850ml of soap. I don’t believe that there’s a decision to be made here, lol.

Having said all that, none of these purchase options seem to be currently available in the states, the EU gentlemen are more fortunate.

Yes, it is similar to MdC in performance, see below. But 11€ for 1000ml vs MdC is quite a lot of difference in cost; as far as barbershop/drugstore soaps go 3P is top of the pile. I like Cella brick fragrance better, but all my Cella, tub or brick, went bad pretty quickly, 3P doesn’t.

PS I haven’t explored Vitos.

11651D5A-C050-48B4-A8C6-209D26B53B2A.jpeg

Well, in the states 150ml of 3P in a tub from IB was around $16-17 plus shipping back when you could get it, maybe 18 months ago.

1000ml of 3P from Connaught was $26 delivered to the US, also about 18 months ago. So that’s $10 more for another 850ml of soap. I don’t believe that there’s a decision to be made here, lol.

Having said all that, none of these purchase options seem to be currently available in the states, the EU gentlemen are more fortunate.

Yes, it is similar to MdC in performance, see below. But 11€ for 1000ml vs MdC is quite a lot of difference in cost; as far as barbershop/drugstore soaps go 3P is top of the pile. I like Cella brick fragrance better, but all my Cella, tub or brick, went bad pretty quickly, 3P doesn’t.

PS I haven’t explored Vitos.

View attachment 1407879
I can confirm that the Vito's bricks will not go bad on you.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Many have noticed that tallow is being phased out from shaving soaps manufactured in the EU, by either discontinuing the product or changing its formula. There are many rumours/stories floating around as to why this is so.

Does anyone know the real reason?

Is it regulatory and, if so, does it relate to manufacturing only or does it include selling? Is it just the manufacturers following what they perceive to be public opinion?

I just hope that Turkey doesn't join the EU.
The EU is anti beef critters. They should have cricket fat soon though.

It is likely either Climate Change or Veganism. (I won't state my opinion on either)
It’s mostly about potentially contaminated beef tallow (nerve tissue/Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy) and a (perceived?) change in consumer habits. Getting tallow that complies with every regulation (EU/UK) for cosmetic products is nowadays just more expensive than switching to another fat source that is cheaper and can be labeled as vegan.

BSE is currently not an issue in the EU, and hopefully not anywhere else, nor has it been a concern for ages.
The real reason for tallow getting replaced by big companies is likely that vegan is the latest fad. Marketing driven manufacturers apparently seem to think it will boost their sales if they label their products vegan.
I'm not a marketing expert, so time will tell how well their approach works.
In the meantime I'll use artisan soaps, they come in all varieties made to please the enthusiasts. Most are tallow based, some vegan, lots of great stuff - and very popular in the EU too.

BSE is currently not an issue in the EU, and hopefully not anywhere else, nor has it been a concern for ages.
The real reason for tallow getting replaced by big companies is likely that vegan is the latest fad. Marketing driven manufacturers apparently seem to think it will boost their sales if they label their products vegan.
I'm not a marketing expert, so time will tell how well their approach works.
In the meantime I'll use artisan soaps, they come in all varieties made to please the enthusiasts. Most are tallow based, some vegan, lots of great stuff - and very popular in the EU too.
That’s unfortunately not how EU regulations work. The list of potentially harmful substances is growing from year to year which lead to many reformulations of products, mostly fragrances.

That’s unfortunately not how EU regulations work. The list of potentially harmful substances is growing from year to year which lead to many reformulations of products, mostly fragrances.

Very true and i agree regarding the harmful substances, especially the restrictions when it comes to the fragrances.
This is a challenge for soapmakers and many have reformulated their scents and toned down the strength as well.
But I don't see anything that points to tallow being a regulation issue. If a healthy cow is slaughtered and the meat is put into the food chain, the tallow is definitely good to go into soap production.

Very true and i agree regarding the harmful substances, especially the restrictions when it comes to the fragrances.
This is a challenge for soapmakers and many have reformulated their scents and toned down the strength as well.
But I don't see anything that points to tallow being a regulation issue. If a healthy cow is slaughtered and the meat is put into the food chain, the tallow is definitely good to go into soap production.
Unfortunately the EU is not making it that easy. The regulations, from what I have read, that are being mandated by the EU, center around the harvesting and the tight regulations that are being imposed. The manufacturers do not want to take on these added costs, therefore less expensive to go the vegan route.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod

People of the EU and certain other countries are luck to have such caring regulators to protect them from skin allergies. I commend them for their vigorous pursuit in determining such harmful substances.

Although rare, aquagenic urticaria is also a concern they need to act on. We are just waiting.

Where will the regulators draw the line?

Unfortunately the EU is not making it that easy. The regulations, from what I have read, that are being mandated by the EU, center around the harvesting and the tight regulations that are being imposed. The manufacturers do not want to take on these added costs, therefore less expensive to go the vegan route.

A few weeks back I researched the requirements to make and sell soap in the EU, for a completely unrelated question.
Basically my amateur finding was that there are no required certifications or tests.
Basically as a manufacturer you just need to make sure that you are adhering to all restrictions as to banned/regulated substances. And the latter do not include tallow from animals cleared for food processing.
That's pretty much it.
If you have different information, please do enlighten us.

Top Bottom