What's new

Phasing out tallow shaving soaps in the EU?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I ate a vegan burger today and most of my cosmetics are vegan and cruelty free. Veggies not also seem nicer to animals, but better for ones skin.
I like both veggie and tallow, but won't lament tallow eventually going away. Animal fat generally does smell bad.
We won't miss tallow soap like we don't miss whale blubber soap or ivory shaving handles.
That's just my guess

I agree 100% Olivia, with the exception of those ‘ivory shaving handles’ if you mean razor scales, it was a unique material that could be made paper thin and doesn’t warp, at least if it was not badly abused by it’s new owner. Ivory brush handles maybe, I’ve never had one.

It is in the stirling clubs and brotherhoods thread somewhere last 2 weeks. And the source was an interview of stirling. Due to availability of high quality mutton tallow. The question is if mutton tallow is going to be completely gone or change into a seasonal offering.
And yes I have a tub of glacial electric sheep, varen and some pine sheep, just never had port au prince….hmmmm.

As long as they keep making beef tallow soaps, I'll be OK.

I have no issues with the vegan soaps and I really like my Speick Active, however i've noticed that vegan soaps are much softer, go really fast and go bad more often than tallow soaps. I could be wrong, but those are my observations with the few tallow and vegan soaps in my collection.

I have high hopes for 3P to be a tallow free alternative for Tabac.

BC51519B-26F0-40E4-A378-4FF8A10A5179.jpeg

06AB2E6D-1B73-41AD-BEDD-4A051956A6B4.jpeg

I have no issues with the vegan soaps and I really like my Speick Active, however i've noticed that vegan soaps are much softer, go really fast and go bad more often than tallow soaps. I could be wrong, but those are my observations with the few tallow and vegan soaps in my collection.
The hardness/softness is more related to water content and proportion of sodium vs. potassium lye used. A vegan hard milled soap like Klar Seifen is extremely long lasting. Hard milled soaps will generally not go bad for many years.

The hardness/softness is more related to water content and proportion of sodium vs. potassium lye used. A vegan hard milled soap like Klar Seifen is extremely long lasting. Hard milled soaps can generally last for many years.

I see. I guess the ones i've got just happen to be on the soft side. My Speick Active for instance is a very nice soap, but it vanishes pretty fast.

The hardness/softness is more related to water content and proportion of sodium vs. potassium lye used. A vegan hard milled soap like Klar Seifen is extremely long lasting. Hard milled soaps will generally not go bad for many years.
There is a manufacturer of curd soap here (dalli) that makes a tallow-based and a vegan curd soap, the only difference being the use of sodium tallowate in the former and sodium palmate in the latter.

The tallow-based one is 100gr and the vegan one 125gr, yet the vegan one goes noticeably faster, and in general gets much mushier under warm/hot water.

I prefer the vegan soap though, because it feels lighter on the skin and the soap scum on the shower walls/floor is not nearly as persistent.

There is a manufacturer of curd soap here (dalli) that makes a tallow-based and a vegan curd soap, the only difference being the use of sodium tallowate in the former and sodium palmate in the latter.

The tallow-based one is 100gr and the vegan one 125gr, yet the vegan one goes noticeably faster, and in general gets much mushier under warm/hot water.
I'm pretty sure this is not a property of vegetable soap vs. tallow soaps. I can give you some examples such as Klar Seifen and Pre de Provence. Both soaps are extremely dense & hard vegetable-based soaps. Most of the water, glycerine and air have been removed during the refinement process. They last at least as long as hard milled tallow-based soaps such as classic Tabac.

Soaps that contain a higher proportion of water, glycerin and air will wear faster, whether tallow or vegan. Soaps that are softer because of a greater amount of potassium vs. sodium lye will wear faster. It's just chemistry. There is no magic in tallow, it's made of fatty acids like any other fat.

I'm pretty sure this is not a property of vegetable soap vs. tallow soaps. I can give you some examples such as Klar Seifen and Pre de Provence. Both soaps are extremely dense & hard vegetable-based soaps. Most of the water, glycerine and air have been removed during the refinement process. They last at least as long as hard milled tallow-based soaps such as classic Tabac.

Soaps that contain a higher proportion of water, glycerin and air will wear faster, whether tallow or vegan. Soaps that are softer because of a greater amount of potassium vs. sodium lye will wear faster. It's just chemistry. There is no magic in tallow, it's made of fatty acids like any other fat.
Well yes, but the fatty acid composition is quite different between tallow and palm oil for example.

I cannot get the tallow soap mushy because it just becomes slick and I cannot even get much friction from it, but the vegan one dissolves much easier on the surface, getting creamy.

This also translates to a much more persistent soap scum from the tallow soap, it takes double if not triple the effort to remove it.

And quite possibly Cyril Salter (the very economical hard soap is tallow, and excellent) and D.R. Harris tallow. What’s wrong with those? I almost never see them mentioned but they are excellent soaps. I’d take a puck of tallow Arlington over tallow Tabac any day, not to mention the lavender and Marlborough (which like Tabac is not everyone’s cup of tea). And Windsor is a classic scent, now in tallow!
I'm a big fan of DR Harris soaps and shave sticks as well and also Cyril Salter. They both have the same formula but Salter is about half the price and so punches well above its price point! Captain Fawcett also uses the same base and has a couple of interesting scents.

Le Pere Lucien also still has a couple of tallow soaps and make Lainess (not tallow but uses Donkey milk). Saponificio Bignoli have a tallow soap as well.

Phoenix & Beau are mainly all tallow although they have 3 non-tallow soaps now as well.

Steve56

I have high hopes for 3P to be a tallow free alternative for Tabac.

View attachment 1406119
View attachment 1406121

I believe that you will not be disappointed. I have about a half a brick left and have another brick on the way from the UK. Of course, it smells nothing like Tabac but the performance is excellent. It has a formula similar to Martin de Candre and ABC hard soap (previous version). If left unsealed it will cure out very hard just as MdC does (MdC cures soaps 6-8 months).

I believe that you will not be disappointed. I have about a half a brick left and have another brick on the way from the UK. Of course, it smells nothing like Tabac but the performance is excellent. It has a formula similar to Martin de Candre and ABC hard soap (previous version). If left unsealed it will cure out very hard just as MdC does (MdC cures soaps 6-8 months).
Does it start as soft as Vitos or Cella red?

Steve56

Does it start as soft as Vitos or Cella red?

It can - fresh from the brick (bag) it’s almost a stiff cream and can be scooped and lathered like a cream. The tub product that I had was stiffer, about like a normal Italian croap. The 3P that I have in a Nuavia coffret has hardened to MdC-like consistency.

The answer is probably how much that it’s ‘aired out’ before we get it, but it can range from very soft to hard. This is true of ABC cream too, when you open a tub it’s a cream but it won’t stay that way long, it hardens up nicely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom