What's new

Phasing out tallow shaving soaps in the EU?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have many wet shaving friends from all over Europe (Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, the UK and Ireland) and the vast majority of them really do not care about the removal of tallow from shaving soaps. Nowadays there are so many OUTSTANDING tallow-free soaps whose performance is at a such high level that tallow is no longer a priority for them. I agree 100%.
I take your point Marco but with respect it might be nice if a couple of traditional tallow soaps could be left alone for those that prefer them, after all there are already so many outstanding tallow free soaps whose performance is at such a high level that more hardly seem necessary 👍 There is an interesting item on this very subject today on the BBC.

OK, but I've been in manufacturing for quite a long time. There's no reason at all to import product from Malaysia. The entire manufacturing process can be put into place right in Turkey using the reformulated ingredients. If it really is less expensive, it's likely to happen. Unless, of course, Evyap is the one company on the planet that isn't interested in reducing costs and making more money, as a result.

This sounds a lot like the discussions around a Tabac reformulation that was never going to happen.
It has begun.
Is MWF next?
Scary words and prescient.
About 15 months.

marty

I have many wet shaving friends from all over Europe (Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, the UK and Ireland) and the vast majority of them really do not care about the removal of tallow from shaving soaps. Nowadays there are so many OUTSTANDING tallow-free soaps whose performance is at a such high level that tallow is no longer a priority for them. I agree 100%.
Agree.

I agree with @Marco that there are some outstanding soaps to be found without either tallow or palm for that matter (and I am personally - but YMMV - more focused on avoiding palm than I am avoiding tallow). That said - although technically not EU - some also outstanding tallowed soaps are made by Areffa currently and here in the Netherlands a local soap maker makes excellent Bergamot soap. Super curious to the performance of new MWF so I will get a puck in the future. I am in between about getting the old formula (which is currently still the only version sold here in the Netherlands at least where I live) and feel like I am definitely more acting on FOMO than anything else.

Cheers,

Guido.

What tallow-free soaps would you recommend with similar characteristics to MWF? I think most users praise it for the post-shave feel, among other things. I’m pretty new, but I was intrigued with MWF for quite a while and now I can’t get it at a reasonable price from where I live. Never got to test it, could only get a new formula puck from Connaught. Thanks

What tallow-free soaps would you recommend with similar characteristics to MWF? I think most users praise it for the post-shave feel, among other things. I’m pretty new, but I was intrigued with MWF for quite a while and now I can’t get it at a reasonable price from where I live. Never got to test it, could only get a new formula puck from Connaught. Thanks
Where are you based?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Haslinger Schafmilch, Sir.

Top Bottom