What's new

Pets are Family Members Too-Show Yours

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Last year we got a kitten for Easter. His name is Brutus. He'll be two next March.

$20151204_225716.jpg

Just love these pics of the pets.

Many years ago I got a call from my mother. She said there was a kitten in the backyard that was starving. We went to her house and found a scrawny kitten that was eating insects. The cat was very weak and obviously malnourished. We got the cat and brought him home to the apartment we were living in - which didn't allow pets. I had my 7 year old niece with me then and I took out a bag of potato chips, put it in a bowl, and set it on the table. I was planning to go to the grocery store to get some cat food. The next thing I knew was the kitten managed to jump on the table and began eating the chips! I immediately went to the store and got some cans of cat food. We named the cat Chester, since this was the name of the town we were moving to in NJ. That boy ate one can right away. Chester started growing and became a huge cat. His paws were enormous.

Chester used to love to sit on any bed that had sun streaming in from a window. He was a great hunter but to us was the most gentle cat I have ever had. Unfortunately, he only lived about five years.

Since then we have had a succession of dogs the latest being a standard poodle, Lucy. Lucy is without a doubt the smartest dog I have owned. She loves to take a ride in the car and loves road trips. She also has figured out how to open drawers, doors, and other places she should not get into.

$LUCY 2014 2.JPG$Lucy nov 15.jpg

We took in a stray a couple weeks ago. He has also been climbing the Christmas tree, no pics of that though. We are calling him Leo (the lion). He hasn't stopped eating since I brought him home. I think he has doubled in weight.

That is a Maine Coon cat! He will get pretty big and be quite a companion. They tend to bond more closely with one member of the family and be rather annoyed at everyone else.

That is a Maine Coon cat! He will get pretty big and be quite a companion. They tend to bond more closely with one member of the family and be rather annoyed at everyone else.

I've heard of Maine Coons. How can you tell if he is one not just any run of the mill long haired gray tabby. I will say he dose eat like a horse. I think he is going to be very upset when he realizes that we don't have leftover Thanksgiving smoked turkey in the fridge year round.

I've heard of Maine Coons. How can you tell if he is one not just any run of the mill long haired gray tabby. I will say he dose eat like a horse. I think he is going to be very upset when he realizes that we don't have leftover Thanksgiving smoked turkey in the fridge year round.

Several things identify him as a Main Coon, one is the ear hair, one is the "M" above the eyes, one is the fur around the neck kind of like a lion's mane, I can't tell for sure but I bet he has lots of hair between and around the pads on his feet. All these are Main Coon marks of distinction. The last is the sound of the meow. It is squeaky and interrupted likely rather than smooth and slick like most other breeds.

Main Coon males are pretty docile once grown, but are also very much dog like in their desire for petting. One last thing when they get upset and start growling it is very unique and different sound from your average cat.

Several things identify him as a Main Coon, one is the ear hair, one is the "M" above the eyes, one is the fur around the neck kind of like a lion's mane, I can't tell for sure but I bet he has lots of hair between and around the pads on his feet. All these are Main Coon marks of distinction. The last is the sound of the meow. It is squeaky and interrupted likely rather than smooth and slick like most other breeds.

Main Coon males are pretty docile once grown, but are also very much dog like in their desire for petting. One last thing when they get upset and start growling it is very unique and different sound from your average cat.
Thanks for the info. He does have very furry feet, and a squeaky meow. As far as being dog like he constantly chases his tail, always wants attention and to be petted, and growls if you touch him while he is eating. Perhaps his mommy or daddy was someone's expensive cat who was allowed to go out and play one night.

It's also the structure of the head and the ears.

I have cats. Cats are like the deadbeat brother-in-law of family members. The deadbeat BIL who knows you have money and he is in the will.

Here is a fairly rare breed of dog which I own;
$image.jpeg
$image.jpeg
THIS IS A KENMER MOUNTAIN CUR, which happens to be the breed of dog Ol' Yeller was in the book the movie by Disney was based on. Disney used a half Lab, half English Mastiff in the movie. The movie dog was three times the size of the correct breed of dog.
My dog's name is Buddy, and he is just that.
Cur dogs are prized hog and small game hunting dogs. Mine is mostly just a family pet. He loves cats but hates any other kind of small animal.

$image.jpeg

And here are Diamon and Christmas. Diamond is our Black cat a large female. Christmas is our tabby female. Christmas got here name from when we got her. Three years ago at Christmas time we went to my mothers house for Christmas Lunch and when I arrived a six month old kitten jumped up into my arms as I was going from the car into the house. She would not let me put her down and ended up coming home with us. And so Christmas became her name.

Top Bottom