What's new

Peterson System Pipe

My first pipe was a Peterson 314 with a P-Lip stem. I still use it and really like the P-Lip, esp with a system pipe. Does the moisture reservoir make a huge difference - not that I have noticed - but is is a great smoker.

Yes you need one, yes get it with a P-Lip and you better get one in each style...just in case that they stop making them after 120 yrs

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I own three system pipes all with P-Lips and like them all. My favorite is the B-42 because it has a bigger bowl which I prefer when smoking burley blends. Check out the linked vid which I found particularly helpful when looking to purchase my first system pipe. It explains the System fully, proper packing as well as cleaning. Although this all seems self explainitory, System pipes benefit from following the Peterson System process and it isn't as intuitive as it appears. You can smoke them the same as all your other pipes...but why not get the most from them? I will say that the P-lip can be a love hate thing among pipers. Some, like Kentos don't have strong opinions while others hate them passionately still others wish they could get them on all their pipes...

I think every pipe smoker should have at least one Peterson System pipe. They are iconic.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have a 301 and like it fine especially the rather narrow bowl diameter relative to depth. Smokes great and is easy to maintain.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
My Petterson family.
20201111_103159.jpg

From left to right: Summertime 2019 XL02, Summertime 2019 606, Rosslare 999, Standard System 301, Standard System 312, Standard System B42.

I'd like to see @Mike H and @Tim_McD show off theirs! They have excellent Peterson's to show off...

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I have eight Peterson's, four with the P-lip, two of them Systems. I don't have any strong feelings either way. The System does collect a good amount of moisture, but I don't find that it makes a noticeable difference in the quality of the smoke, and I don't think the P-lip is necessarily an improvement either, although I don't think it makes it worse. It's just there. But I think you made a good choice. As @brandaves said, they're iconic. The System and P-lip are what put Peterson on the map, and they've been successful for a long, long time. At a time when I could only afford one Peterson (an estate at that), I knew it had to be a System.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
And here they are.

On the left, top to bottom: rustic System 309 (my first Pete), System 31, army mount Dracula 05, and Dark Smooth Sherlock Holmes Baskerville.

On the right: Summertime 150 (with a double stamped stem; the logo is on both sides, so the stem can never be upside down), Summertime B10, Irish Made Army 101, and rustic Barrel.

IMG_20201111_234104301.jpg

And here they are.

On the left, top to bottom: rustic System 309 (my first Pete), System 31, army mount Dracula 05, and Dark Smooth Sherlock Holmes Baskerville.

On the right: Summertime 150 (with a double stamped stem; the logo is on both sides, so the stem can never be upside down), Summertime B10, Irish Made Army 101, and rustic Barrel.

View attachment 1181222
Nice collection. I’ve got a rustic barrel church warden in one of my carts. Need to just pull the trigger.

Top Bottom