What's new

Peterson Silver Supreme pipes

Being an old codger happens gradually and with some destination. The realization however comes as a sudden surprise. Initially unwelcome, then acceptance, and finally with a touch of pride. Perhaps the biggest benefit to being an old codger is the luxury of time. Having had time to accumulate a few things.

I accumulated many pipes over the years but never could stand all that stuff about. Most of the collectibles were traded or sold off. But a few special pipes were kept.

These are Peterson Silver Supreme pipes. A B61 smoked on very special occasions and enjoyed the experience immensely. The 268 models are all pristine. Quite certain there is no other collection of 268 Silver Supreme pipes in the world such as these.

One of the Silver Supremes was misidentified and mis-labeled on the box. This mistake occurred at the factory and surprisingly wasn’t caught by a well known pipe dealer. I offered to make it right but they declined stating it wasn’t possible. Wanting to be certain I received verification from none other than Glen Whelan himself.

Also have a Dunhill Zulu straight grain natural (not shown) quite similar in appearance to the Peterson pipes. That pipe oddly passed from the factory, thru the dealer and into my hands without having been identified or priced as such. Lucky fellow.

F703E658-E039-47F8-BD55-356620B2B591.jpeg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Being an old codger happens gradually and with some destination. The realization however comes as a sudden surprise. Initially unwelcome, then acceptance, and finally with a touch of pride. Perhaps the biggest benefit to being an old codger is the luxury of time. Having had time to accumulate a few things.

I accumulated many pipes over the years but never could stand all that stuff about. Most of the collectibles were traded or sold off. But a few special pipes were kept.

These are Peterson Silver Supreme pipes. A B61 smoked on very special occasions and enjoyed the experience immensely. The 268 models are all pristine. Quite certain there is no other collection of 268 Silver Supreme pipes in the world such as these.

One of the Silver Supremes was misidentified and mis-labeled on the box. This mistake occurred at the factory and surprisingly wasn’t caught by a well known pipe dealer. I offered to make it right but they declined stating it wasn’t possible. Wanting to be certain I received verification from none other than Glen Whelan himself.

Also have a Dunhill Zulu straight grain natural (not shown) quite similar in appearance to the Peterson pipes. That pipe oddly passed from the factory, thru the dealer and into my hands without having been identified or priced as such. Lucky fellow.

View attachment 1187942
Outstanding’

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Those are absolutely stunning and the circumstances under which you acquired them makes one believe that you were just destined to have them. I'm envious of your good fortune and hope you enjoy them!

Reactions: ctr

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

View attachment 1187942

Beautiful pipes! I've had to return a couple of Petersons due to poor drilling & a blemish in one of the silver spigots, but when they get them right, they get them right.

I still haven't put a flame to my B61 Silver Cap. Your post is making me want to remedy that sometime soon.
002-029-34862.jpg

What model number is your Dunhill? I have a 4135 Dress as my one and only Dunhill. Mine tended to get a bit warm, so I dedicated it to English blends.

Beautiful pipes! I've had to return a couple of Petersons due to poor drilling & a blemish in one of the silver spigots, but when they get them right, they get them right.

I still haven't put a flame to my B61 Silver Cap. Your post is making me want to remedy that sometime soon.
View attachment 1188198

What model number is your Dunhill? I have a 4135 Dress as my one and only Dunhill. Mine tended to get a bit warm, so I dedicated it to English blends.

Beautiful Dunhill there. The dress series are nice pipes but I never warmed to the finish.

Most of my Dunhill pipes in the photo below. Excellent pipes with open draws. The 3421 Root Briar is the pipe mentioned in the first post. It is third from the left. Not a bad smoker in the bunch though I favor the little 3101 Bruyere setter and the Ruby Bark set. The setter is a reject from the Spitfire series didn’t quiet make the cut on size I suspect.

4B2EE225-1EFB-41C2-93C8-3AD6BD9F5474.jpeg

You are quite right about Peterson. When they get it right it is exceptionally well made. There were issues with quality in the fills and especially the drilling in the years around 2014? Got so bad I stopped buying Peterson for a while. Those issues are behind them these days as I haven’t seen a bad drilling for a while now. Staining issues also occurred during that time period. There were issues with the silver smithing when the apprentices were learning. Those are past now too. Six smiths I believe replaced their single master silversmith when he retired. He trained them all. Mostly now I see stem bending issues. Bent to one side or forced to bend too quickly narrowing the passage or collapsing it. On a few pipes but annoying when a customer receives one.

I prefer the Peterson pipe over others. Better smoking for me, enjoy the draw, the shape, and the feel of the pipe in hand. There are a number of high grades in my cabinet, mostly spigots, some red, most natural. I’ve been on the hunt for a short smooth natural 03 but no luck so far. Codgers have time though.

Top Bottom