What's new

Peterson P-Lips- Are you a fan?

How do you feel about the P-lip?

• I love it!

• It's just ok.

• I don't care for it.

• I hate it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
The P-lip is quite polemic in the pipe community. It seems that some people are fans of the design. While others detest it. Detractors of the p-lip seem to loathe it much more than the usual stem variation battles (saddle vs taper bit).

I still stand strong with the sentiments that p-lip isn't suited for straight virginias. Alas, I'm curious to see how many fans we have of this mouthpiece style.

For those of you who don't know, the p-lip is made to direct smoke to the roof of the mouth rather than the tongue/back of the throat. Peterson claims this reduces tongue bite and provides a cooler smoke that traditional moutpieces.

proxy.php

I'm indifferent to it.

I won't buy a pipe because it has P-Lip, but I also won't not buy a pipe because it has a P-Lip

I voted "OK" cause I have only smoked about 5 bowls with me new Peterson, so to early to pass FINAL judgment, but so far I think I like it.

Does seem to reduce the amount of drool that goes down the stem, but sometimes it seems I have to draw a little harder to get a good mouthful of smoke, but that could be as much to do with the system. Never done a controlled experiment on this.

I've just started resting my tongue on bottom of the stem (like a little pedal for your tongue) and have found it not only to be comfortable, but also tasty as well. May be because my tongue is arched up and getting more flavor? I may be over thinking this...

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I don't have any Petersons, so I've never smoked a true "name brand" P-lip, but I am not unfamiliar with the basic concept. The Dr. Grabow Omega and one of my El-Morjane pipes both have faux P-lips, which have the same shape, but don't direct the smoke up. From them I know that I find the shape comfortable, but obviously they contribute nothing else. I also have an Italian basket pipe that has a true P-lip style stem on it. With regard to tongue bite, I think it does help. However, if you're smoking fast enough to get tongue bite, a P-lip won't save you any suffering. By directing the smoke away from your tongue, it is now directing it at the roof of your mouth, and that hurts just as bad. So in my opinion, it's a wash. You're better off working on your technique.

I have one P-lip pipe. It's okay. I notice that if I smoke a VA too aggressively instead of getting tongue bite, I get roof bite. I do think the smoke is cooler. But the next Peterson I get will be a fishtail stem.

I can only imagine that I would not like it. I like my tongue to be directly in the stream of smoke to get the most taste out of it.

I really liked it on my Peterson 303. Unfourtunately I dropped that in my grill while barbequing and it acctually caught fire. I rescued the bowl but I havent replaced the stem yet.

I've just started resting my tongue on bottom of the stem (like a little pedal for your tongue) and have found it not only to be comfortable, but also tasty as well. May be because my tongue is arched up and getting more flavor? I may be over thinking this...
That's what I do with the one P-lip I have. Took a while to figure that out, but it does seem more comfortable to me too. I think it does help to lessen tongue bite. For me, it's not a deal breaker either way, but I certainly will not go out of my way for one. Having a Softee on it and it stopping while mostly on the stem is a bit of an issue too. I've gotten so used to Softees that I only smoke with them on.

I had one 303 briefly not long after I started with the pipe, and I wasn't a fan. I should probably look into trying one again one of these days.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have one P-lip pipe. It's okay. I notice that if I smoke a VA too aggressively instead of getting tongue bite, I get roof bite. I do think the smoke is cooler. But the next Peterson I get will be a fishtail stem.

That is exactly my experience. For me it doesn't solve a problem, merely a trade off. And like Cursethis, I won't avoid a pipe I otherwise like because of the P-lip, but if given the choice of a Peterson with a fish tail, I'd rather the fish tail

I really enjoy P-lip stems; so much so that when I look at a Peterson, I factor it into my purchasing decision.

Aggressive smoking (which I will cheerfully admit is my style) can open you up to roof-bite as easily as a fishtail bit can cause tongue-bite. The english blends I tend to favor are less "bitey" than other tobaccos, so even with my steam locomotive puffing the P-lip scalds me very infrequently.

I have seen the other thread about virginias being less impactful because of the P-lip, it really hasnt mirrored my experience - but I will do the old Pepsi challenge if the Ice Age ever ends and I can once again sit comfortably outside long enough to enjoy a pipe

I am a huge fan of Peterson Pipes. I picked up my first pipes while visiting them in Dublin. Of my 9 Briars, 7 are Petersons. I'm also waiting on a custom ordered Pete, custom ordered without the P-Lip. Just not a big fan of it. I feel like it weakens the flavor I receive. That, and I also appreciate being able to direct the flow of smoke as I please. I love their pipes, but much prefer a fishtail.

Top Bottom