What's new

Peterson experts help identify pipe

I recently purchased a Peterson 268 pipe. The box is marked as a Supreme Deluxe System pipe. But what the box contained appears to be a Silver Supreme. The only reference I have is a pipe picked up in England, a B61 that is supposed to be a Silver Supreme. Shank stamping is just about identical. Finish is the same on both pipes. Briar grade looks right to my eye. Neither pipe has system drilling.

The vendor of the 268 says it is marked a system pipe in their inventory.

Photo below. B61 at the top and new 268 below. Thoughts from the Peterson experts, what do I have?

image.jpeg

I will add the vendor has been very helpful and has an excellent reputation. Been doing business with them for years. I don't want to take advantage if a mistake has been made.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
What were you supposed to be getting?

I've had multiple pipes come in the incorrect box including a 999 green spray.

What were you supposed to be getting?

I've had multiple pipes come in the incorrect box including a 999 green spray.

I too have experienced the wrong box thing before. The box label is Supreme S/MTD 268 FT. Similar to my other pipe which I was told was a Silver Supreme.

The listing on SmokingPipes was a Supreme De Luxe System (268) Fishtail. But the photo didn't match the description on the vendor site. I've seen this type of mixup once before on their site. Not sure how the vendor got De Luxe System - the pipe definitely is not a Deluxe System pipe. The finish is wrong and the briar grade is wrong for it. So too the stem is all wrong.

Customer service rep was responsive but I'm not sure he knows his Petes or really believed me. Like the vendor by the way. SP is a straight up business and great folks. Just not sure the rep knows Petes.

Really appears to be the same series and grade of pipe as my other. Makes me question which assertion is correct because they are similar. Either both a Silver Supreme pipes or neither are Silver Supreme pipes. I'm happy either way but would like to know for the sake of knowing.

Below is a Deluxe System pipe image from Al Pascia. Same as on Peterson's site. The stem is a system stem, similar to the Royal Irish stems from outward appearance. The stain is darker, similar to a Kapp Royal natural.

image.jpeg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Below is a Deluxe System pipe image from Al Pascia. Same as on Peterson's site. The stem is a system stem, similar to the Royal Irish stems from outward appearance. The stain is darker, similar to a Kapp Royal natural.

View attachment 798924

I was going to mention that deluxe systems have/had the metal stinger, while the standard and premiers for some reason don't. That's where my knowledge of Petes starts and ends lol!!

I was going to mention that deluxe systems have/had the metal stinger, while the standard and premiers for some reason don't. That's where my knowledge of Petes starts and ends lol!!

I'd respond similarly if asked about Tinsky.

I am hopeful this is in fact a Silver Supreme 268. One of my two dream pipes.

I sent a note off to Peterson asking for their assistance with the pipe identification. Hoping they respond.

Peterson confirmed both pipes are Silver Supreme pipes. Any pipe stamped Supreme is their highest grade of briar.

I own my dream pipe, a Peterson 268 Silver Supreme. This is a great day!

Top Bottom