Pet Peeve -- numbers for dates

Discussion in 'The Barber Shop' started by Rusty Blade, May 15, 2019.

1. Doc4

Doc4 Moderator Emeritus

Why is "dyslexia" such a complicated one? If I had a dollar for every time someone has told me he has lysdexia ...

2. TexLaw

TexLaw Contributor

When speaking, it's all over the place. You might any or all of "June fourth," "June four," "four June," or "fourth of June." The first instance is the most common in conversation, the third is the least common overall, the second often gets used in a business context and little otherwise, and the last typically is seen in a formal context.

3. Thanks Doak & Chris, so really no different than us northeners, had no idea whether the written convention carried over to speaking.
    dave

4. 06/01 or even better 6/1 is fine for June 1st with a little context. That is all I used in my notebooks where the year is understood.

5. How do think I feel. Born late 1960's and was taught both metric and imperial systems. All the maths books were still the old system but the new world was all metric. I like to mess with my teenage daughter who only knows metric, I say "whats that in kilometres or mph or thats about 6 1/2 inches then" to her and her face goes blank.

6. As far as I can recall, growing up in England from 1961, dates were always dd/mm/yy but I never went to a posh school. Legal documents always seem to be dated "This 24th day of May" and it sort of makes sense temporally

7. captp

captp Contributor

Monosyllabic
    I'll just leave that here.