What's new

Pet Flea Medication questions

Our dog recently picked up some fleas outside. When we noticed them on him, we immediately gave him a flea bath. Within a week, the fleas moved back.

So I started looking online at better alternatives and it came down to Frontline or Advantage/K9 Advantix. Is anyone familiar with using these?

I read reviews on Frontline and some were saying theres a bad batch that has actually killed dogs. Advantage had all good reviews, so I went with that, I wasnt going to gamble on Frontline for obvious reasons.

So last night I picked up the Advantage at Petco and put it on him at about 7pm. He seemed to do ok, not even noticing it was on him. I go to bed later and at about 3am my girlfriend is shaking me saying that the dog is whining. I try to blow it off, but he was really going nuts. I couldn't ignore it so I went to check on him and he looked fine, but was so hyper I couldnt beleive it. He is NEVER up that late, he sleeps through the entire night. But he was whining and going nuts. We keep him in the kitchen with a baby gate where his bed/wee wee pad is since he's still a puppy. I decided to take him on a walk so he could maybe burn off some energy and go to the bathroom. After I walked him, he seemed fine and didnt really sleep the rest of the night. I should know since I only got about 3 and a half hours of sleep.

Now I know this has something to do with the advantage we put on him. He has never acted this crazy before, even when he's really excited. Has anyone else run into this with the advantage or frontline flea medications? I really feel bad I put something on him that bothered him this much. He is probably the best dog I've ever had.

I know you need to be careful with flea/tic medication when it comes to puppies. I would call your vet and ask them.

Our dog recently picked up some fleas outside. When we noticed them on him, we immediately gave him a flea bath. Within a week, the fleas moved back.

So I started looking online at better alternatives and it came down to Frontline or Advantage/K9 Advantix. Is anyone familiar with using these?

I read reviews on Frontline and some were saying theres a bad batch that has actually killed dogs. Advantage had all good reviews, so I went with that, I wasnt going to gamble on Frontline for obvious reasons.

So last night I picked up the Advantage at Petco and put it on him at about 7pm. He seemed to do ok, not even noticing it was on him. I go to bed later and at about 3am my girlfriend is shaking me saying that the dog is whining. I try to blow it off, but he was really going nuts. I couldn't ignore it so I went to check on him and he looked fine, but was so hyper I couldnt beleive it. He is NEVER up that late, he sleeps through the entire night. But he was whining and going nuts. We keep him in the kitchen with a baby gate where his bed/wee wee pad is since he's still a puppy. I decided to take him on a walk so he could maybe burn off some energy and go to the bathroom. After I walked him, he seemed fine and didnt really sleep the rest of the night. I should know since I only got about 3 and a half hours of sleep.

Now I know this has something to do with the advantage we put on him. He has never acted this crazy before, even when he's really excited. Has anyone else run into this with the advantage or frontline flea medications? I really feel bad I put something on him that bothered him this much. He is probably the best dog I've ever had.

Make sure an treat his bed, and anywhere he rests often. The eggs can live for about 2 weeks iirc off the body.

Always empty your vacuum cleaner right away as they can crawl back out of it. We use some stuff the vet sells us, I think it is frontline.

I also recommend you talk to your vet. We use Advantage flea meds. However, depending on the breed of the dog, the area you live in, etc., his advice may differ.

Also, as Crowort indicated, fleas can remain in a house on dog bedding, furniture, etc., for some time.

The vet says it's fine. Well, because they sell it.

I checked on him when I took my lunch break, he seemed to be a-ok. Maybe while it's soaking in it was bothering him and making him insane for a while.

After reading all the horror stories about frontline/advantage/k9 advantix, you start to get paranoid. Dogs have had secere reactions to it and have died.

It seems there is some harsh stuff in them, but still works for most dogs. I am affraid to use it again. Its like when someone allergic to peanuts eats one for the first time, they swell up. The second time they eat a peanut, the effect is worse and can lead to death. Who knows, but maybe I shouldnt take the quick route to get rid of fleas in the future.

You really have clean the areas where he sleeps and hangs out. If there's grass areas you should keep the dog away from there for a few weeks.

age and breed would be of some help.. I have used Frontline Plus for years and we never have fleas or ticks. I pick up ticks just mowing and walking the woods with him so it must be working. As mentioned, once the fleas are in the house you got to purge them and the dog at the same time. Most of the flea and tick meds get applied every 30 days and some of the heart guard type meds are also given every 30 days. it's best if you off set these by 15 days. I assuming you used the correct amount for the weight of your pup.
beware if you have cats you do not want to use K9 Advantix.

Don't forget to treat your yard as well. There are lots of natural remedies to try, just google "getting rid of fleas in yard"

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
age and breed would be of some help.. I have used Frontline Plus for years and we never have fleas or ticks. I pick up ticks just mowing and walking the woods with him so it must be working. As mentioned, once the fleas are in the house you got to purge them and the dog at the same time. Most of the flea and tick meds get applied every 30 days and some of the heart guard type meds are also given every 30 days. it's best if you off set these by 15 days. I assuming you used the correct amount for the weight of your pup.
beware if you have cats you do not want to use K9 Advantix.

This is exactly what we do: Heartworm meds on the 1st of the month, Friontline Plus on the 15th. Our dogs are both fine with the Frontline Plus and never picked up anything, and they are out very often during the day.

He's about 6 months old, Dachshund. He weights maybe 7 lbs right now, really small and has the soft puppy skin. I am guessing that's why it bothered him so much.

I read Frontline had a bad batch and dogs werent reacting well to. you might want to read up on it. I went with the Advantage by Bayer because I read about that. Frontline cause neurological problems in some dogs, even killed some.

cause neurological problems in some dogs, even killed some.

don't believe it was a 'bad batch' but any dog could have a reaction to any of the flea/tick control meds (poison)

this from the Advantage site..
Cautions:
Individual sensitivities, while rare, may occur after using any pesticide product for pets. If signs persist,
or become more severe, consult a veterinarian immediately.

I'm a little confused about the Vet comment did he say after it caused your dogs problem it would be fine or did he says the product would be fine to use
on a 7 pound puppy before you used it and had the reaction.

I hang out over on Upland Journal (I own gsp's) and most of those guys have multiple dogs and I've never heard this brought up or has our Vet ever mentioned it (no he does not sell any brand since they are now available OTC).

Last edited:
cause neurological problems in some dogs, even killed some.

don't believe it was a 'bad batch' but any dog could have a reaction to any of the flea/tick control meds (poison)

this from the Advantage site..
Cautions:
Individual sensitivities, while rare, may occur after using any pesticide product for pets. If signs persist,
or become more severe, consult a veterinarian immediately.

I'm a little confused about the Vet comment did he say after it caused your dogs problem it would be fine or did he says the product would be fine to use
on a 7 pound puppy before you used it and had the reaction.

I hang out over on Upland Journal (I own gsp's) and most of those guys have multiple dogs and I've never heard this brought up or has our Vet ever mentioned it (no he does not sell any brand since they are now available OTC).

There's actually a mutation of the MDR1 gene in certain breeds of dogs, and when they take certain medications are unable to pump the drugs out of the brain and develop neurotoxicity. It's common in Australian Shepherds and Collies, but the only true way to find out if your dog has it is to have them tested. The first link has information about known affected breeds, and what it is as well as a drug list. The second link has a list of drugs and common brand names that they're in and I just personally like the layout a little better. I don't believe Frontline or any flea medication is on the list, but just something good to be aware of.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/index.aspx
http://www.busteralert.org/

My dog only gets fleas when she goes to stay with my parents. They've become the crazy cat people on the block and the freakin' things brought fleas with them.

I've used Frontline for years and it has worked phenomenally... until this year. This is the second time she has stayed with my parents this year and same as last time the Frontline was completely ineffective.

The last time I ended up having to take her to the groomer to have it taken care of. They mentioned that for some reason the fleas this year seem resistant to even the veterinarian prescribed flea medications.

Whatever the groomer does takes care of it though. They are all gone when we get her back and she doesn't scratch anymore.

I'll continue to use Frontline but if I have the same issues next Spring/Summer I'm going to have to look at alternatives.

Top Bottom