What's new

Pesky carrion eaters

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
@Intrigued gave his soapbox, which is:

P.S. Please don't use any lead pellets around the birds. In the last few years of following the rescue efforts of The Wildlife Center of Virginia, I've seen far too many eagles, vultures, hawk, owls, falcons, etc., die from lead poisoning. Just this week they were unable to save an osprey due to lead toxicity.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
P.S. Please don't use any lead pellets around the birds. In the last few years of following the rescue efforts of The Wildlife Center of Virginia, I've seen far too many eagles, vultures, hawk, owls, falcons, etc., die from lead poisoning. Just this week they were unable to save an osprey due to lead toxicity. Osprey #17-0622 | The Wildlife Center of Virginia

@Intrigued Said the words above to defend turkey vultures and other Birds.

Here's an idea! Get
High-powered slingshots(Axiom, Hammermil Bunny Buster, Pocket Predator, etc.) with Hornday lead round balls(.50 cal) or .50 cal G25 steel ball bearings. Check out Simple-Shot online.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Those are nice looking slingshot, though I'm willing to venture that those turkey vultures are protected as are all other birds of prey.

Here's an idea! Get

Those are nice looking slingshot, though I'm willing to venture that those turkey vultures are protected as are all other birds of prey.
I have a slingshot, but I don't use it often, so my accuracy isn't great. I guess I'll have to practice a bit. Again, I have no desire or intent to harm the creatures...just make them less comfortable, so they don't want to hang around. And I suspect a slingshot pellet (or a pebble shot with a slingshot) would sting a bit, and get their attention -- and hopefully spread the word to the rest of the gang.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
As has been said...contact your local wildlife agency. We have a bunch of the turkey buzzards around here but since it's the country they have a lot of places to go and have never tried to roost on any roofs or anything. I've seen them out in the pasture trying to walk up and peck on cows that were lying down...that did not turn out well for them. :lol:

I'm sure you've probably browsed around and came across these sites, but here are a few things to try.

How to Get Rid of Turkey Vultures: Humane Control Solutions and Methods of Vulture Removal

https://secure.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Nuisance_Bird_Info_Turkey_Vultures.pdf

How a Tiny Southern Town Handles a Turkey Vulture Invasion

Hmm.. Kill a feral hog, put it in the back of your truck, and drive slowly to the next county.
Interesting suggestion...

I don't have feral hogs on my property (a problem much worse than a few vultures!!), but, if I did and tried your idea, I can envision the vultures riding on the truck to the next county, and then 1-2 riding back to my home on the truck, just to be annoying -- and to await the next mobile feast!

Kill that feral hog and deposit it on your neighbor's property. Repeat weekly until you have the vultures trained.

By the way, in my experience, it's not the carrion that get's eaten. It's the checked luggage. At least when it gets lost, I assume it's been eaten.

On the farm we'd put an empty feed sack on a pole and mount it near where we wanted to keep them away. It flaps in the wind and scares them off. Obviously feed sacks aren't an option (or available) in town, but perhaps something else that flaps. Maybe a flag? But flags aren't as stiff and won't make as much noise.

On the farm we'd put an empty feed sack on a pole and mount it near where we wanted to keep them away. It flaps in the wind and scares them off. Obviously feed sacks aren't an option (or available) in town, but perhaps something else that flaps. Maybe a flag? But flags aren't as stiff and won't make as much noise.
You've given me an idea...if I could catch one of these pest s, and tie IT to a pole, I'm sure it would flap enough to scare its mates away... however once the tethered one dies (you don't expect me to feed it, do you?) I know the mates would be back to feast.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Osprey #17-0622

Admission Date:
April 26, 2017
Location of Rescue:
Franklin County, VA
Cause of Admission / Condition:
Possible contact with a powerline and lead toxicity
Outcome:
Died May 10, 2017

Lead helped kill this critter.Some Wise guy with a gun helped it to die.

Franklin County, VA and @Intrigued are against people shooting birds with fire arms.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Interesting problem! Yet we are here to help.

How about one of those hot Chinese lasers, that can burn a hole in a trash bag? It would startle and annoy, no projectile or marksmanship needed. Don't beam their eyes, eh.

I had one of those lasers, kept beaming a (drunk) buddy during a fireworks show. He though he was being stung by insects.

AA

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Osprey #17-0622

Admission Date:
April 26, 2017
Location of Rescue:
Franklin County, VA
Cause of Admission / Condition:
Possible contact with a powerline and lead toxicity
Outcome:
Died May 10, 2017

Lead helped kill this critter.Some Wise guy with a gun helped it to die.

Franklin County, VA and @Intrigued are against people shooting birds with fire arms.

Let me climb back on my soapbox for just a bit.
proxy.php

First off, I'm not against legal hunting and fishing. I'm just not fond releasing a lot of lead casually into the environment.

Actually the Osprey wasn't shot and most of the birds of prey that are admitted to the Wildlife Center of Virginia haven't been either and yet far too many have lead toxicity. Vultures and eagles (especially young eagles) eat carrion and pick through landfills, so I understand some of the exposure. But Ospreys are piscivores (fish eaters), so I'm surprised and alarmed that it also had high lead levels.

Interesting problem! Yet we are here to help.

How about one of those hot Chinese lasers, that can burn a hole in a trash bag? It would startle and annoy, no projectile or marksmanship needed. Don't beam their eyes, eh.

I had one of those lasers, kept beaming a (drunk) buddy during a fireworks show. He though he was being stung by insects.

AA
Interesting...could also use it to keep squirrels off the bird feeders (another potential topic for a long thread...).

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Interesting...could also use it to keep squirrels off the bird feeders (another potential topic for a long thread...).

It probably won't light their fur on fire ... probably. :a16: Kidding!

Of course, I beamed myself with it first. An itching, stinging feeling. We're not talking Star Trek phaser fire here.

There are whole laser forums, etc. with a ton more info. I recall it was sent from China/Hong Kong. Get one that takes a 18650 battery.

AA

Stop putting food out. And don't use anything lethal or injurious unless you have the financial resources to pay the fines and the time to spend in Club Fed.

Update on this...

I bought an airsoft pistol. I figured the low velocity softish pellets would annoy without injury. And the one I bought has a full auto option... awesome!

I'm pleased to report that it worked! Since I bought it, there have been no large gatherings of vultures. They are gone... and I never had to fire a shot.

Never underestimate the intelligence (or capacity to annoy/frustrate) of wildlife!

Top Bottom