What's new

Personna's drawbacks?

I'm about a month into DE shaving, and I'm about out of my sample blades. The one that surprised me was the Gillette 7 O'clock shadow; it worked for me much better than my Derby's...So anyway, now it's time to buy some blades and I'm really tempted to buy some personna med preps based on all the positive reviews. Any potential drawbacks being as I'm so new to shaving and these things supposedly are the sharpest thing going? I've only nicked myself twice and both weren't even good enough to be considered bleeders and I'd like to keep that streak going!

God bless,

Fred

I'm about a month into DE shaving, and I'm about out of my sample blades. The one that surprised me was the Gillette 7 O'clock shadow; it worked for me much better than my Derby's...So anyway, now it's time to buy some blades and I'm really tempted to buy some personna med preps based on all the positive reviews. Any potential drawbacks being as I'm so new to shaving and these things supposedly are the sharpest thing going? I've only nicked myself twice and both weren't even good enough to be considered bleeders and I'd like to keep that streak going!

God bless,

Fred

How many are you thinking of buying? Buying 5 or 10? There's no real drawback I guess.

100 or more? I think the drawback is that you're spending too much. You can get the same thing as a Personna "Lab" for $13 per 100 on Ebay.

I've never heard of "Gillette 7 O'Clock shadow". A typo perhaps?

Hi. I tried several blades and liked the Personna Reds fine and bought, I think, 500, and have been using them over the years to no complaint in all my Gillette'. Sharp, last a long time. Good blades. Don't know what current good prices are. My opinion, use them.

I should also add the disclaimer that I've only used Derby, Merkur (thumbs down), Wilkison(?) and a few other singles I can't remember

The one thing I've learned is that no two people have the same experience with a blade. IMHO buy a small quantity and give it a shot or you could end up with a few hundred blades you're not thrilled about. Speaking from personal experience buying blades based on the opinion of others.

Astra SP and Red Israeli Personna are the only ones I've ever bought blind, and they are both excellent. Honestly, to me, they are more comfortable than Meds or Labs. 7 O'Clock Blacks and Yellows are also very good, but tend to be pricier. But it probably is a good idea to avoid buying 100 packs until you figure out what is right for you.

The one thing I've learned is that no two people have the same experience with a blade. IMHO buy a small quantity and give it a shot or you could end up with a few hundred blades you're not thrilled about. Speaking from personal experience buying blades based on the opinion of others.

Crucial info here. Agree 100%

Try as many as you can, and you will know what works for you.

God bless,

Fred

As has already been said, it's a good idea to try another sampler pack of different blades, so you can narrow down the list to a few on, maybe, only one blade.

RAmen,

David

Personna med preps are my go-to blade, there are no drawbacks as far as I'm concerned. That said, my beard is not your beard. I would second the advice to try a few before you buy a box of 100, in fact if you were in the UK I'd send you a couple.

IMO meds and labs are not the same, somewhere there's a thread showing photos of the edge taken through a microscope and it shows a different grind. I've also tried a lab and didn't find it as smooth.

Personna med preps are my go-to blade, there are no drawbacks as far as I'm concerned. That said, my beard is not your beard. I would second the advice to try a few before you buy a box of 100, in fact if you were in the UK I'd send you a couple.

IMO meds and labs are not the same, somewhere there's a thread showing photos of the edge taken through a microscope and it shows a different grind. I've also tried a lab and didn't find it as smooth.

I'll believe that when there's enough such data to eliminate the possibility of variation between production runs. So far, both have shaven my face very similarly (and the test by Oscroft had similar results, as well).

Personna Reds, then, differ a lot and definitely aren't in my rotation.

They are a popular blade, buy 100, if you don't end up liking them, you can always sell/trade on B/S/T for close to what you paid.

Top Bottom