What's new

Personna What happened?

image.jpg

I bought these blades back in April. They are made in Israel. These blades are wonderful. I bought them on Amazon. This particular pack is no longer available on Amazon. Can anyone tell me what happened to them? If it’s not to much to ask could you gentleman or ladies post a link to an equivalent product?

Hi,

There are several Personna branded blades and plants they are made in. They used to be American Safety Razor, and then split up in several directions. Where you get the ones you are interested in, I don't know. I was always trying to avoid those.

The outfit still making what they did which I want is AccuTec in Verona, VA USA and they make the Med Preps. They used to be in a white box with blue lettering. Changed now, but buying Med Preps always gets me what I was after from Verona.

They used to make a laboratory blades, originally in a blue box with white lettering. Hence the name Lab Blues. They changed from that packaging several times now and I find it difficult to source these. This is the image they have on their website today:

product-6002570000-double-edge-blade-1.jpg

Maybe someone else knows where to get the variant you are looking for.

But, that is the basic story of what happened to Personna.

Stan

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Comfort Coated and Med Prep Personna blades are/were made in Estados Unitas.

The Platinum Personnas; aka Israeli Reds — even when shipped in blue packaging; are now being made in Germany. Or so the fine folks in the below-mentioned thread say:

Editing to add: I’m just getting my info off the internet. My lab blues are from Sally Beauty Supply and tryablade.com, my med preps are from tryablade.com, and my reds are from an amazon sample pack.

They’re all from Earth and that’s not nothing.

Last edited:
Hi,

I looked at West Coast Shaving, and they list they have the Israel made ones:

But, they say 'red' and you showed 'blue' and I don't know if that makes a difference or not....

WCS shows no stock on the Lab Blues and the Med Preps are always significantly higher priced (but still in stock).

Stan

First, Personna is the most difficult to understand brand in ‘traditional’ wet shaving! Period. :mad2:

My problem is that I really enjoy some of their blades, especially the US made lab blues and med preps. I also enjoy their ‘reds’ (formerly made in Israel, now made in Germany). My substantial stash is mostly from 5 years ago when I laid in a good stock, so I cannot comment knowledgeably on current packaging.

They have multiple other options, such as the Crystals and many store brands.

There are a maddening number of packaging options, which are difficult to keep up with. My best suggestion is to order from Robbins (a medical supply supply company) or one of the reliable B&B vendors.

The blades that are labeled "Comfort Coated" are made by AccuTech products in Verona, VA. They were once part of Personna, but now produce blades under license for laboratory, industrial and medical use. That is why we call them Lab Blues. They are designed for laboratory use, but shavers have found them to be good blades.

The Israeli plant made Crystals, Personna Platinum, Viking, and many generic labeled blades. The last shipment from Israel to the USA was back in early March. It appears that stocks of Personna Platinum whether in the Israeli Red or Blue UK packaging are becoming limited. Edgewell announced almost two years ago that the plant in Nazareth Israel would be shut down. However, there is no confirmation that closure has occurred. However, some of the generic blades previously made in Israel are now being made in Germany. As far as I can tell from my experience, the German blades are identical in quality to the ones made in Israel.

View attachment 1145405
I bought these blades back in April. They are made in Israel. These blades are wonderful. I bought them on Amazon. This particular pack is no longer available on Amazon. Can anyone tell me what happened to them? If it’s not to much to ask could you gentleman or ladies post a link to an equivalent product?

they closed the Israel plant.

that box is available with German blades, but I didn’t think they felt the same.

here is the same blade as youposted, made in Israel. Decent price too.

Personna Israeli Platinum Red Chrome Double Edge Stainless Steel 100 Blades 20BX Amazon.com: Personna Israeli Platinum Red Chrome Double Edge Stainless Steel 100 Blades 20BX: Home & Kitchen - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KGI6ATA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.YMrFb56S45NC

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
The current German produced reds are excellent blades and my current go to blade. The comfort coated I just can't get on with, they just don't seem as smooth and often leave me with a weeper. The med prep I tried in the last couple of months for the first time and loved them, even pipped the reds lasting a shave or two longer and being just a bit smoother. I have been waiting for my regular supplier to get some in

The Personna Platinum Chrome are very good blades, I believe that my blades are made in Germany. Never tried ,,the Israeli reds" but the new production is very good.

Hi,

I miss the 74s..... :(

I wish Verona would put them back into production.

Stan

I was fortunate to have had the opportunity to use a coupe 74s in a blade dispenser that I got from an old gentlemen, now deceased, from whom I also got a couple Gillette Superspeeds. They were great blades!

The blades that are labeled "Comfort Coated" are made by AccuTech products in Verona, VA. They were once part of Personna, but now produce blades under license for laboratory, industrial and medical use. That is why we call them Lab Blues. They are designed for laboratory use, but shavers have found them to be good blades.

The Israeli plant made Crystals, Personna Platinum, Viking, and many generic labeled blades. The last shipment from Israel to the USA was back in early March. It appears that stocks of Personna Platinum whether in the Israeli Red or Blue UK packaging are becoming limited. Edgewell announced almost two years ago that the plant in Nazareth Israel would be shut down. However, there is no confirmation that closure has occurred. However, some of the generic blades previously made in Israel are now being made in Germany. As far as I can tell from my experience, the German blades are identical in quality to the ones made in Israel.

You are correct.

Personna = mystery.

To be sure I get the right ones, I buy my Labs from a laboratory supply company (EMS) and my med preps from a medical supply company (Robbins).

a variety of personna blades offered here

Edwin Jagger sell Personna Platinum and describe them as “Israeli Reds”. Here in the UK, I get them from La Barbiera, on eBay, or direct here:

Personna packaging keeps changing and confuses everyone. You can't really go by color.

The "Med Preps" have been consistently great blades for me. The newer ones are laser etched instead of printed. Somewhat premium priced, but I have been quite happy with them, and they do last quite a long time. Made in Virginia, USA.
personna-med-prep-1.jpegpersonna-med-prep-2.jpeg

The "Lab Blue" blades are also made in Virginia, USA. Similar to the Med Prep. The packaging looks like this, except blades are now laser etched.
personna-lab-4.jpeg
The older Israeli made Personna platinum blades were packaged like this for sale in the UK:

personna-ir-1.jpg

The newer German made Personna platinum blades are packaged like this:

personna-de-1.jpg

You can get them from Connaught Shaving in the UK, a reliable and trustworthy online shop.

The Israeli Personna "reds" were packaged like this for sale in North America. They are the same blade as the blue and silver packaged Israeli blades for the UK market.

personna-ir-2.jpeg

So, what are these nicknamed? Are these the newer German Platinums?

Attachments

• 20201206_202848.jpg
    20201206_202848.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 20201206_202859.jpg
    20201206_202859.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 39
  • 20201206_202934.jpg
    20201206_202934.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 36
Those are interesting. At first I thought they were the old Israeli Reds but the packaging says nothing about Chrome Platinum and they say made in Germany. I wonder if they could be German made versions of the Israeli Crystals? Might be something new.

Top Bottom