What's new

Personna. What do I have?

Ive read about 4 different Personna blades and I have two different types in my box of blades. I think the 10 pack are Personna but Im not sure. IMG_20211004_195553009.jpgIMG_20211004_195553009.jpg
Please let me know what i have.

I hear about these Med blades but not sure what they are. I had another kind of Personna but it didnt agree with me so I gave them away.

Ive read about 4 different Personna blades and I have two different types in my box of blades. I think the 10 pack are Personna but Im not sure.View attachment 1340070View attachment 1340070
Please let me know what i have.

I hear about these Med blades but not sure what they are. I had another kind of Personna but it didnt agree with me so I gave them away.
The blades with the blue label are Personna "Crystal Super +". Usually referred to more simply as Personna Crystals.

The Red package could be the old Personna Platinum Chrome. Old manufacture was in Israel and they are referred to as Israeli Reds. New manufacture is in Germany now.

Red are red Israeli personnas. "Red IP"
Blue are crystals sometimes called "blue IP"

I don't know if they are still making the reds in Israel or not but a few months ago I got a shipment in the white plastic tucks (European market case), verified to be Israeli made and with recent date code stamped on the wrappers.
Not sure if they're changing over completely to Germany or not but as of now they are still making them in Israel too, and may continue for different markets

To add to confusion they are now also making the red IPs in Germany lol. Supposed to be the same but haven't done a deep dive yet.

Edit; considering the red package looks updated they seem to be new reds from Israel. The one in the red should have a made in on the box. Should say Israel. But let me know. The tuck art is different than mine but mine are very old.

Reds should say platinum chrome on the ink on the blade. Blues will say platinum +
I see the crystals say Israel on them so just have to confirm the red box says Israel too.

Ok update. I spoke with my contact for the Israeli blades. Whatever is out there is all there is. Both the blue and the red. The date codes on the last batch that left the factory are the end of 2019.
So whatever you can find is all there is.
German reds, lab blues, med preps are all that are currently being produced under the personna name.

The reds dont have an origin printed on the blade the rapper or the box. The box says Personna Super Blade and Personna Platinum. Blade says Personna Platinum Chrome.

The Blue says Stainless Steel Blades. Israel. Super Plus Platinum on the blade.btheyvcome in the hard white plastic tuck.

So are these the same blade made in different locations? Im trying to put this all together as i like the red blades but the others dont agree with me.

So what i get from this right now is I like the German reds. But dont know if i have tried the Med preps or lab blues. And the blues i have now or no longer made.

Last edited:
The reds dont have an origin printed on the blade the rapper or the box. The box says Personna Super Blade and Personna Platinum. Blade says Personna Platinum Chrome.

The Blue says Stainless Steel Blades. Israel. Super Plus Platinum on the blade.

So are these the same blade made in different locations? Im trying to put this all together as i like the red blades but the others dont agree with me.

The red ones look like they are Personna Platinum Chrome ("Israeli Reds"). The blue ones are Personna "Crystal Super +" (Personna Crystals). They are different blades and both were made in the Israeli Plant and now out of production (along with all other Israeli Personna blades).

If you like the Reds, then the Personna Platinum Chrome currently made in Germany are made to the same specification and most folk (myself included) say they shave identical to the Reds. I am not sure if there is a German equivalent of the Personna Crystal Super + but it sounds like your not as interested in that blade anyway!

German version of the Personna Platinum Chrome look like this
1633425661254.png

And the bulk German red look like this
Screenshot_20211005-032950.jpg

Screenshot_20211005-033612.jpg

What you have are genuine red Israeli personnas and blue Israeli personnas crystals.

If you find the German to be the same then you'll like the German ones.
Both Israeli red and blue are no longer made. Only German red supposed to be same as the Israeli red.
Both of what you have are different and we'll regarded blades.
If you run out you'll need to get the German ones but the blue ones are gone for good.

Here is a fairly brief explanation of the different Personna blades with some photos:

Both of what you have are now discontinued. But the red ones you can get that are now made in Germany as asb88 said.
You can still find the blues at an ok price. My guy still has those he said but the Israeli reds are gone. He said he got the last shipments out of that factory.

Ok. Now i got it. I like the Isreal reds but i need to forget about the color and think Platinum Chrome, as the replacement blade is now made in Germany and is no longer Red. I will just save the pictures and order one tick to see if they feel the same before buying 100.

Thanks for clearing that up. Now that I have found a Personna blade i get along with and know what it is, I think I will leave the Meds and Labs out of the equation.

Thanks for the pictures and the link.

Last edited:
I call them German reds. To keep their roots alive lol.
It wouldn't be personna I'd it wasn't confusing.
But if you like your reds get the 100 pack that I pictured above from Amazon. The one without tucks just one box of 100. Easier to store lol

+1! My best guess also (and you need to do a bit of guessing with Personna).

I laid in a stock of the Israeli reds because they moved all production to Germany. Apparently, the German blades are very nice.
I'm 99.5% sure that's right. I have them all. Between conversations with personna, my blade guy that got them direct from Israeli factory and now changed to German channels, and my own knowledge over the years, that's what those are.
I even buy each time they make a box change to ensure its just a box change. I now have 4 variation of lab blue packages in the 100 single box.
But if you're out of the loop for a bit it does take some catching up. Had to contact my blade guy. He filled me in. That's why all my Israeli I got last time last year were stamped end 2019. He said he got the last shipment out of that factory.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I actually prefer Crystals to Israeli Personnas. I find the shave and blade life very close to Gillette Silver Blues. For me the Israeli Personnas are a bit rough on first use, terrific for a week, and then going downhill, albeit gradually rather than with the abrupt failure I get with some blades, especially Feathers.

I agree the first shave is a bit rough then they smooth right out. I keep thinging a stropping or corking might take care of the first use feel. But i just cant remember to try it because im testing so many blades right now.

Personna Reds being my favorite blade... I tried out the new German (same "Personna Platinum Chrome" printed on blade) ones:
Personna-Platinum-MadeInGermany.jpg

It may be all in my mind, but I definitely prefer the "Made in Israel" originals.

Plus, the originals don't have any damned annoying wax dots to spoil the shave (or take up time attempting removal):
Personna-Red-EU-packaging-MadeInIsrael.jpg

European packaging ▲

Thankfully Connaught still have the originals (Reds) which I have stocked up on... and they are less expensive than the new German (Platinum) ones. :cornut:

I call the Israeli made ones Personna Reds and will NEVER call the German ones that, simply Personna Platinums. :001_tt2:

YMMV :laugh:

I love the "which Personnas are these" threads. That is one company that makes it so difficult to nail down their blades. As far as I know, there are the Crystals, The Lab Blues, The Barber Blades, the Med Preps, the Israeli Reds that also come in blue packaging, and I know I'm forgetting some.

I love the "which Personnas are these" threads. That is one company that makes it so difficult to nail down their blades. As far as I know, there are the Crystals, The Lab Blues, The Barber Blades, the Med Preps, the Israeli Reds that also come in blue packaging, and I know I'm forgetting some.
Does make for some interesting conversation and another time to catch everyone up.

Instill prefer calling the German ones German reds lol. Not red at all. 🤣

I did get a tuck of the Personna blades with the Gold Stripe on the label. Smooth and keen. Yep. That's the one. Now to buy a 100. But at this rate, I'm going to have 100 of 5 or 6 different DE blades. Add that to 200+ straights... I will never have to hone or buy blades again!

Top Bottom