What's new

Personna Super Made in the USA

Hey all,
Used one of these for the first time last night thanks to DMShaver. Stuck it in my new long comb and used it with some WSP Formula T Gaelic Tweed. All I can say is wow. Sharp, smooth and quick. I kept checking to make sure that the blade was in there. Here is the problem. I can't tell which Personna this actually is. When I do a search for Personna Super I get multiple returns that all look different. Please help so I can add these to my regular rotation.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
From my limited research if it has super printed on the Personna blade it is the Lab Blue, they changed the blue wrapping of the blade to a white wrapping(Why?) and some folks like them a lot. They will have comfort coating on the box also and are made by Accu-tec in Verona, Virginia USA. Personna makes excellent razor blades for over 100 years.

@Ron R is correct, they are Lab Blues* Here is one from my 100 pack, bought late last year:

lab_blue.jpg

My crusade to rename them Lab Whites is, sadly, not gaining the traction it so obviously deserves... :p

Packaging looks like this:

I just picked up some of these personna lab blues, with the persona's super imprint being lasered into the blade. It wasn't an easy process by any means Acquiring these lab blues. The first order I placed on Amazon ended up being, what are known as Isreali personnas around these parts. Isreali personas don't work as well for me, as the lab blues. Shane from blackland says, the key to picking up the personna lab blues is to look for the,"made in the USA on the package." The lab blues have a persona super written on the blade, it can be lasered in metallic ink, or plain black ink...The ink could be appear sloppy, neat and even faded at times. The packaging can vary greatly as well.

These are lab blues. They are made by accutec in Virginia. These have a personna super etched into the blades. these 120 packs have the greyish persona super imprint. These blades are wrapped in plain white paper. notice, the," made in the USA.".that's the whole key to acquiring the lab blues.
7BD260F8-6F1E-4C6A-B210-570E5B55CBC6.png

Attachments

• 5C877127-19D1-49C9-8F95-67125E6D9D3F.jpeg
    5C877127-19D1-49C9-8F95-67125E6D9D3F.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I just picked up some of these personna lab blues, with the persona's super being lasered into the blade. It wasn't an easy process by any means picking these up. The first order I placed on Amazon ended up being made in Germany. Or what they call the Isreali personnas around these parts. they don't work as well for me, as the lab blues. Shane from blackland says, the key to picking up the personna lab blues is to look for the,"made in the USA on the package." The lab blues have a persona super written on the blade, it can be lasered in metallic ink, or plain black ink...The ink could be appear sloppy, neat and even many times faded at times. The packaging can vary greatly as well.

These are lab blues. They are made by accutec in Virginia. These have a personna super etched into the blades. these 120 packs have the greyish persona super imprint. But notice that "made in the USA.".that's the whole key to acquiring personna lab blues.

I'm still not 100% certain those are actual 'lab blues' in the sense of the blades actually produced for medical lab use. Personna has a complicated history of correctly identifying their products and a lot of end-users apply labels that may be inaccurate.

That said if they work for you that's awesome and I am glad you found them. I still have about 50 US-made Personnas that I enjoy quite a bit from a 100 pack I bought years ago that came in a box that was fairly similar to the one in your photo.

I'm still not 100% certain those are actual 'lab blues' in the sense of the blades actually produced for medical lab use. Personna has a complicated history of correctly identifying their products and a lot of end-users apply labels that may be inaccurate.

That said if they work for you that's awesome and I am glad you found them. I still have about 50 US-made Personnas that I enjoy quite a bit from a 100 pack I bought years ago that came in a box that was fairly similar to the one in your photo.

I agree. I have blades that a lot of people call Lab Blues but the package was distributed by a beauty supply company.

Gillette was the first company to come out with a coated razor blade. However, it was Personna that came out with the first coated stainless blades. Personna had to pay a royalty to Gillette due to the coating patent. At first, Gillette thought they could keep making their Super Blue blades and compete against Personna, but the market soon realized the advantages of stainless blades vs carbon steel. Soon all but a few razor blade manufacturers switched to stainless. Today, there are a few holdouts like Treet Black Beauty that still use carbon steel, but there are not many.

The Comfort Coated blades have a very thick polymer coating that makes the blades really smooth, but reduces sharpness on the 1st shave. As that coating wears off the blades become much sharper, but less smooth. If you are not expecting the change in sharpness, the blade might "bite" you on subsequent shaves.

Top Bottom