What's new

Personna red Pairing

After using many different blades I have settled on a preferred blade for most of my razors. From referring to a few forums it is commonly referred to as a Personna red (despite the 10 pack being blue and being labeled personna platinum, and the blades themselves having personna platinum chrome on them).

Am happy to be corrected if I have got the common name for these blades wrong. But these blades are fantastic! Sharp, smooth and durable. I get nearly twice as many shaves from a blade as I do from most others.
The two best razors I have so far found to pair with this blade are a Gillette NEW OC and the ikon x3. People would probably refer to these as mild /non-aggressive razors.
How have others found this blade with more aggressive razors and any recommendations for a razor to match the blade?

You are correct, I have been using them for over 2 years now and have found them to work well in all the razors I have. My youngest son and wife both use them as well. My oldest likes the Vikings Sword blades which are very similar to the Personna Red blades, though I can tell the difference.

I use them in 1970 SuperSpeed, 1975 Super Adjustable 109, Early Tech, MingShi 2000s and 1954 Flare Tip all with good results. The adjustable razors seem to do very well with them.

-Stephen

After using many different blades I have settled on a preferred blade for most of my razors. From referring to a few forums it is commonly referred to as a Personna red (despite the 10 pack being blue and being labeled personna platinum, and the blades themselves having personna platinum chrome on them).

Am happy to be corrected if I have got the common name for these blades wrong. But these blades are fantastic! Sharp, smooth and durable. I get nearly twice as many shaves from a blade as I do from most others.
The two best razors I have so far found to pair with this blade are a Gillette NEW OC and the ikon x3. People would probably refer to these as mild /non-aggressive razors.
How have others found this blade with more aggressive razors and any recommendations for a razor to match the blade?

I've used these blades a few times and find them very sharp and efficient. When paired with a very high efficiency razor (i.e., my late 40's Aristocrat) I just have to be careful to take it slow and easy. But the reward is a fantastically close shave :)

Yes a nice smooth blade. I use them exclusively with my two Red Tips (Rocket and US). A nice coincidence too.

Personna Reds were my first blade love, and remain one of my favorites. They work great in every razor I've tried them in (about eight).

The most aggressive razors I've tried them in are my Mühle R41 (2013), my Fatip Piccolo Mk1 (more aggressive than the current Mk2), and my Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant.
Wonderful shaves. :thumbup1:

I'm fond of the Reds that come in the blue package that says Personna Platinum while the blades say platinum chrome, too. (And some people find this stuff confusing....)

I agree with your assessment. The Personna Red is a great middle of the road blade that works consistently well in all my razors.

Personna Reds are my go to blade in medium aggressive razors like my DE89L and The Standard Razor. I don't use them in mild razors opting for sharper blades from St. Petersburg or Feathers.

Although not as sharp as blades like the feather, the personna blades aren't dull by any measure and cut cleanly - possibly feeling more rigid than blades like feather. IMHO they are efficient, good value and are less prone to causing irritation. They seem to hold an edge longer which avoids tugging.

Interesting regarding medium aggressive razors working best. Might try them in my black beauty and experiment with different settings.

The Israeli Red are a nice blade in my slim. Set to 5 or 6 I get a very efficient shave.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

After trying a bunch of different blades, the Personna Reds are my favorite on all three of my razors (Feather AS-D2, Timeless, and EJ). I love that I can just concentrate on one blade to keep on hand, too.

Top Bottom