What's new

Personna Red ... Israel or Germany?

IMHO, somebody who loves a Feather or similar blade, would most likely love the new German Personna blades, they have that same edgy feel to them. For the rest of us, or those who find the Feather a little edgy, just not a good fit.

I'm only so-so on Feather blades, they work well in lower plates in my Rockwell, the Karve, and Slim (when dialed down a bit), but otherwise, not smooth for me. Others, toss them in a Slim/SA/R41, and feel they're the best blade ever made, but that's not me.

Thank you, I am glad I only ordered one pack to try. The box of Israeli made ones that I bought last year is still available, but $5 more now. I am trying to decide if I should get more before they are gone. I worry about QC from Mostochlegmash.

Could you send the link for those real Israeli made ones?

Are the ones pictured below similar to the other Personna platinum blades made in Israel?

I found the ones below on Amazon.

Glad I stocked up in 2015 when the rumors of the plant possibly closing first began. I still have 400 Israeli Personna Red blades in US 5 pack box and 10 pack UK plastic. They were always an inexpensive, dependable and forgiving blade.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221117-154104_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20221117-154104_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20221117-154031_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20221117-154031_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    612.8 KB · Views: 7
I bought a stash of Personna Platinum "Reds" around the time Personna stopped making the blades in Israel. I have always wanted to know if the German-made Platinums "Reds" are or are not the same blade.

In my opinion, the German-made Platinum "Reds" are the same blade as the Israel-made Platinum "Reds".

I reached out to another member who posted using the German-made "Reds" and we swapped blades. Today, I loaded a German-made "Red" into my Fatip Original Grande, and an Israeli-made "Red" into my Fatip Original Piccolo, and then shaved using each razor for a different side of my face.

The two blades felt the same to my face. Great blade - smooth and sharp. One of my favorite blades.

Israeli-made box.

1687719066136.png

1687719081315.png

German-made box.

1687719111615.png

1687719124401.png

German-made blade on left. Israeli-made blade on right. I marked the German-blade with a Sharpie.

1687719200823.png

I recently added some more of these to my stash, as I realised that actually, they were probably one of my favourite blades that I had just taken for granted. Of course, my view of them was based off the Israeli ones and the ones I just received are the German ones. Good to know they are similar in character. I will open a tuck and try them out for myself as a priority.

…In my opinion, the German-made Platinum "Reds" are the same blade as the Israel-made Platinum "Reds".

I reached out to another member who posted using the German-made "Reds" and we swapped blades. Today, I loaded a German-made "Red" into my Fatip Original Grande, and an Israeli-made "Red" into my Fatip Original Piccolo, and then shaved using each razor for a different side of my face.

The two blades felt the same to my face. Great blade - smooth and sharp. One of my favorite blades.

As the member Frank reached out to I am happy to report that I conducted a similar exercise this morning. I loaded one blade of each origin into two post war fat handle Techs I own. I’ve used both of these razors enough to comfortably say they would not influence my perception. I used a soap and brush combo I’m very comfortable and familiar with - Stirling Tangerine bowl lathered with an AP Shave cashmere knot.

The blades were indistinguishable to me. This is my first experience with the Israeli reds, but the German model is my most commonly used blade and has been for close to a year. I can honestly say I would believe they came from the same tuck if I didn’t know any different.

I know there are some deeply held beliefs to the contrary by some members with a lot more experience than myself, but I think it’s fair to say Personna is manufacturing these blades in Germany as closely as possible to the spec of the Israeli ones. They’re close enough that I will happily continue to buy the new ones with no fear I am missing out.

Thanks to @Frank Shaves for giving me the opportunity to settle my mind!
IMG_3816.jpeg

And just when I thought the confusion was over.

After comparing the German and Israeli blades, I ordered 100 German-made blades from Amazon. Keep in mind that the packaging for the Israeli-made blades contains the words "chrome", "platinum" and "stainless". The blades arrived this afternoon.

The cardboard and paper packaging for the German-made blades from Amazon say "stainless".

1687824916575.png

1687825049910.png

1687825078921.png

But the blades have the same "PLATINUM CHROME" label. Phewww! I did not shave with the blade but have no reason to believe that these blades are different from the blades that Trevor sent me. Obviously, I will need to shave with one to be certain.

Fingers crossed, this case is closed.

1687825137379.png

After comparing the German and Israeli blades, I ordered 100 German-made blades from Amazon. Keep in mind that the packaging for the Israeli-made blades contains the words "chrome", "platinum" and "stainless". The blades arrived this afternoon.

The cardboard and paper packaging for the German-made blades from Amazon say "stainless".

View attachment 1677359

View attachment 1677360

View attachment 1677361

But the blades have the same "PLATINUM CHROME" label. Phewww! I did not shave with the blade but have no reason to believe that these blades are different from the blades that Trevor sent me. Obviously, I will need to shave with one to be certain.

View attachment 1677362
The ones I sent are packaged exactly like that.

View attachment 1677359

View attachment 1677360

View attachment 1677361

View attachment 1677362
IMG_4865.png

All is well. The confusion is the very similar packaging to Israeli Reds.

I just wanted to jump on this thread and agree with folks saying that the German production blades are 100% tickety-boo.

I finally got around to using one today. It was going to be a second outing with a SuperMax Super Stainless, but I changed my mind at the last minute and grabbed the razor with the Personna loaded in it (I guess we can't call them IPs anymore).

This was something of a "recovery shave", as my promiscuous blade testing over the past couple of weeks has given me a bit of stubborn irritation on my jawline that needs to recover, so I wanted a blade I could trust. The German Personna did not let me down!

A superb shave. Close, comfortable, and application of Brut at the end produced not so much as the tiniest sting, even on my recovering patch of irritation. I agree that I could easily believe these were exactly the same blade as the old production...maybe even a tiny, tiny bit smoother?

Either way, a great balance of sharpness and smoothness that mowed down my stubble a damn sight more easily than some of the other blades I have been trying recently. Personna done got it absolutely right with this one.

:clap::clap::clap:

Top Bottom