What's new

Personna Red ... Israel or Germany?

I like Personna Reds.. On ebay there's a couple of sellers that state theirs are from Israel, not Germany. Is there that much of a difference...and how can I tell it they ARE actually from Israel?
thanks

Israeli Reds come in cardboard tucks. The new German ones, sadly, in plastic. The German ones also have a blue label and 10 in the tuck.

personna.png

I'm pretty sure those Personnas in a plastic tuck of 10 are made in Israel. I have some of those that were made long before they were ever produced in Germany. However, it's possible they were made in both Israel and Germany.

I haven't tried the German-made Personnas, so I can't comment on them. But, the Israeli-made blades are excellent, and are no longer being produced.

The plastic 10-pack with lower case "personna platinum" are made is Israel. For the European market I believe. North American market got identical made in Israel blades in red 5-pack tucks, which is why they acquired the nickname "Israeli Reds".

At some point all production moved from Israel to Germany, and they are supplied in plastic 10-pack with uppercase "PERSONNA PLATINUM" on it.

I don't notice any difference at all between the Israeli or German blade.

The main thing to look for are the words "Personna Platinum Chrome" stamped on the blades. Production of blades in Israel ceased back in 2019, but there seem to be blades in the pipeline.

The blades sold in the 5-blade cardboard tucks with the red packaging fetch premium prices, but I am pretty sure the quality is the same as the ones in the 10-blade plastic packs that were produced for the UK market. Thus, paying a premium for the red packaging might not be warranted.

I have no way of confirming this, but I suspect that at least some of the equipment from the Nazareth plant was transferred to the plant in Germany where both Wilkinson Sword and Personna Platinum blades are now made. However, the blades made in Germany should state their German origin. If the current Personna Platinum blades are made on equipment relocated from Israel, the quality should be nearly identical. Every review I have seen for the German made blades seems to confirm identical performance.

Thus, when making your purchasing decision, decide which packaging you want, because it is unlkely you will be able to distinguish the performance of the blades inside the wrapper.

I have bought from Archer.206, and communicated back and forth with him. He has the 200 box still for $30, the German ones are only $2 cheaper.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Israeli Reds come in cardboard tucks. The new German ones, sadly, in plastic. The German ones also have a blue label and 10 in the tuck.

View attachment 1365253

Well... a clarification is due.

The Israeli-made Personna Red blades (from our good ol' Nazareth Elit (Nof ha Galil) factory) came in red-colored cardboard tucks for the US market and most other markets in the World, but for the European market they came in sky-blue colored sleeves of 200 blades, with 20 white plastic dispensers of 10 blades each. I still have both types from that period.
The blades inside actually looked very similar to the current German-made blades, but not identical 100%.

Here are the European market Personna Red sleeves I've mentioned:

Personna Israel for European market.jpg

Well... a clarification is due.

The Israeli-made Personna Red blades (from our good ol' Nazareth Elit (Nof ha Galil) factory) came in red-colored cardboard tucks for the US market and most other markets in the World, but for the European market they came in sky-blue colored sleeves of 200 blades, with 20 white plastic dispensers of 10 blades each. I still have both types from that period.
The blades inside actually looked very similar to the current German-made blades, but not identical 100%.

Here are the European market Personna Red sleeves I've mentioned:

View attachment 1365498
Correct - as regards the Euro-land ones.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I have tried them in the past , but I need to try them in my 1 year old Ikon 104 tech .

I wish you good results with that thing. I never tried the Ikon tech, although I've tried some of their other razors.
I think it should actually be a good combination. If my memory is right, users have reported that the Ikon tech is actually relatively aggressive (am I wrong?), while the Personna Red blade is mild, and can balance it.

I wish you good results with that thing. I never tried the Ikon tech, although I've tried some of their other razors.
I think it should actually be a good combination. If my memory is right, users have reported that the Ikon tech is actually relatively aggressive (am I wrong?), while the Personna Red blade is mild, and can balance it.
They say it is aggressive but I consider it smooth and efficient.

Much better than my R41 2013.

The Ikon 104 tech has no blade tab overhang - R41 has slightly.

And the Ikon has a slimmer ( height) head compared to the R41 -- which is better when shaving under ones nose.

The Reds have been the smoothest and most comfortable blades that I have used since I began shaving. Like @BigJ and @SharpieB, I laid in a good stockpile of them about this time last year when you could get a 200 pack of the Euro market Reds on Amazon for $22 per box. The Reds are always the first blade that I use on an unfamiliar razor. I know if I get a bad shave it isn't due to the blade. I keep saying that I am going to try the German made version but I just haven't gotten around to it.

The Reds have been the smoothest and most comfortable blades that I have used since I began shaving. Like @BigJ and @SharpieB, I laid in a good stockpile of them about this time last year when you could get a 200 pack of the Euro market Reds on Amazon for $22 per box. The Reds are always the first blade that I use on an unfamiliar razor. I know if I get a bad shave it isn't due to the blade. I keep saying that I am going to try the German made version but I just haven't gotten around to it.
Strangely, I have about 700 Personna Reds and barely use them.

I know they are excellent, but have so many other blades that I just want to blow thru as I know I have the Personnas.

Inuse about 150 blades a year, so even then I am set.

Have you tried Crystals? Very similar IMO. I have 400 or 500 of those too. 👍

Strangely, I have about 700 Personna Reds and barely use them.

I know they are excellent, but have so many other blades that I just want to blow thru as I know I have the Personnas.

Inuse about 150 blades a year, so even then I am set.

Have you tried Crystals? Very similar IMO. I have 400 or 500 of those too. 👍
I have a tuck of 10 Crystals and I used one blade. That was long ago but at that time I found it uncomfortable. I need to retry it soon. I just used a Gillette Super Platinum (black tuck from India) for the past three shaves in my Winning razor with good results. That was my second time to use that blade and the first time I thought it was harsh but this time it seems smooth and comfortable.

I took the plunge last year and bought a 200 pack of the new German Personna blades, also known as the Personna Red, now from Germany. While I LOVED the Israeli Personna Red blades, I really don't care for the German replacement. While they're *almost* as smooth, they're way too 'edgy' for lack of a better word. Loaded in my Rex or Timeless (95 OC), they leave mystery weepers afterwards, which doesn't happen with the Israeli made blade, and they're not quite as comfortable, at least to my face. With my Rex, I need to turn it down to around 2 on the dial, or they feel a little rough, and I usually set the Rex to 4 on the morning shave. Even in my Rockwell (R6), they're not as smooth as I'd expect, and perhaps just not a good match for my face. - Guess I toss them on BST, along with the gear I'm not using, once I get around to it.

I finally settled on the Rapira Platinum Lux blade for a replacement for the beloved Israeli Red, which delivers a fantastically smooth & close shave in both those razors. The RPL blades are now my favorite, and like them more than the original Israeli Reds.

I took the plunge last year and bought a 200 pack of the new German Personna blades, also known as the Personna Red, now from Germany. While I LOVED the Israeli Personna Red blades, I really don't care for the German replacement. While they're *almost* as smooth, they're way too 'edgy' for lack of a better word. Loaded in my Rex or Timeless (95 OC), they leave mystery weepers afterwards, which doesn't happen with the Israeli made blade, and they're not quite as comfortable, at least to my face. With my Rex, I need to turn it down to around 2 on the dial, or they feel a little rough, and I usually set the Rex to 4 on the morning shave. Even in my Rockwell (R6), they're not as smooth as I'd expect, and perhaps just not a good match for my face. - Guess I toss them on BST, along with the gear I'm not using, once I get around to it.

I finally settled on the Rapira Platinum Lux blade for a replacement for the beloved Israeli Red, which delivers a fantastically smooth & close shave in both those razors. The RPL blades are now my favorite, and like them more than the original Israeli Reds.
Thank you, I am glad I only ordered one pack to try. The box of Israeli made ones that I bought last year is still available, but $5 more now. I am trying to decide if I should get more before they are gone. I worry about QC from Mostochlegmash.

Glad I stocked up in 2015 when the rumors of the plant possibly closing first began. I still have 400 Israeli Personna Red blades in US 5 pack box and 10 pack UK plastic. They were always an inexpensive, dependable and forgiving blade.

Top Bottom