What's new

Personna Med Preps

I got 250 of these yesterday. I loaded it up in a 40's super speed and gave it a spin this morning on a 2-day old beard.

Overall, this is a good blade. Sharp and smooth, a little bit of tugging on a couple of spots where my beard is particularly heavy. I would say about a 9 out of 10 on sharpness and 8 out of 10 on smoothness. This blade left me with an easy 3 pass BBS with a middle of the road razor.

I am curious to see how long it lasts. Cost per shave is a factor on whether or not I will buy more. I look to get 2-4 cents per shave. I paid $65 delivered for 250, so that is about 26 cents per blade, needs to go about about 2 weeks since I shave 4 times a week.

Most people find the first shave is a little rougher due to the comfort coating. Give each blade a chance to smooth out and I think you'll like them. 8-10 shaves per blade is usually what I get from them.

I developed a compelling urge to have some of these blades, so I went to Robbins to order them. They only had the 250 box in stock, but the urge was too great to resist so I bought it. I can't wait to try them. They definitely feel like different blades than the Personna Lab, as they're thinner. I'll report back once I've tried them. I'll also likely put some out on the classifieds section at cost, as I really don't need 250.

I developed a compelling urge to have some of these blades, so I went to Robbins to order them. They only had the 250 box in stock, but the urge was too great to resist so I bought it. I can't wait to try them. They definitely feel like different blades than the Personna Lab, as they're thinner. I'll report back once I've tried them. I'll also likely put some out on the classifieds section at cost, as I really don't need 250.

Congrats. A splendid blade.

The Personna Med Prep is a great blade. I typically change out my DE blades after 5 - 7 full 3-pass + touchups shaves. Feather DE blades get binned after 3 shaves.

My shave is usually 3-1/2 passes. I'll see if I can get as many shaves as you're getting out of the Med Preps. I had the same experience you did with the Feather blades. I would dump them after two shaves because the third shave was unpleasant.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My shave is usually 3-1/2 passes. I'll see if I can get as many shaves as you're getting out of the Med Preps. I had the same experience you did with the Feather blades. I would dump them after two shaves because the third shave was unpleasant.
My whiskers are definitely wiry. I'm sure that contributes to blade destruction. ;)

First shave today. I hadn't shaved for about 36 hours. Razor: 1957 Gillette Red Tip. Shave cream: Kiss My Face Cool Mint.

Wow, what a great shave! There was so little irritation with the growth I had that it felt like I didn't have a blade in the razor. Absolutely flawless, BBS results. This bodes really well.

Second shave this morning. Same razor, 1957 Red Tip. Different shave cream however, TOBS Cedarwood.

Same outstanding shave with almost no irritation. Another BBS shave. I'm liking this so far!

As is my usual process, I flipped the blade to the other side for the next couple of shaves. We'll see what happens.

I truly enjoy them, and at about 25 cents per blade, they are more expensive than a Nacet, but I still think that's pretty darn cheap. I do find that they are better on subsequent shaves however I still bin them after about 4-6 shaves.

Got delayed at work, so just posting now for the third shave. Same razor. The shave soap today was Chiseled Face "Cedar & Spice".

The third shave was every bit as good as the first two. No real irritation to speak of. BBS all the way. This is almost getting boring. No, not at all! These things are performing fabulously so far.

One last post on this topic. The Med Preps performed fabulously in my other two razors, a Gillette Super Speed from 1948-1950 (no date code) and a Gillette Fat Boy from 1959 (setting 7). I could have likely gone past four shaves with each blade, but I chose to not push it and enjoy the good shaves.

I have since loaded up all three razors with the Personna Labs that I've been using for a while, just as a comparison. There is actually no comparison. The Med Preps are miles in front of the Labs in quality and comfort of shave. I've got a dozen or so Lab blades remaining in my stash. I'm not sure if I'll use them of PIF them.

Well, this thread got me to find my stash of Med Preps for today's shave. Slapped one into my Blackbird and was rewarded with an excellent, close shave. I was quickly reminded how good these suckers are. Been a while since I've used the Med Prep and had forgotten how good they shave.

Now I'm in the hole as I purchased 500 of them today.....:eek2: Got to get ahead of the 2023 purchase sabbatical.

Well, this thread got me to find my stash of Med Preps for today's shave. Slapped one into my Blackbird and was rewarded with an excellent, close shave. I was quickly reminded how good these suckers are. Been a while since I've used the Med Prep and had forgotten how good they shave.

Now I'm in the hole as I purchased 500 of them today.....:eek2: Got to get ahead of the 2023 purchase sabbatical.
Where from? I’m looking to get a stash of these and it seemed the last time I checked the best prices were from Robbins Instruments(?)

Top Bottom