What's new

Personna Med Preps

I just used a Med Prep for the 5th shave today. After hearing so much about them I had to give them a try so I bought 10 blades off ebay. I got a nice close shave today, but to me this blade is not that smooth. On my face the Labs and Reds seem much smoother I'll use up my supply and my impression might change. Does anyone else think the Med Preps are not as smooth as the other Personnas?

I'm only 2 shaves into a med prep. It's the first time I've used them so I can't give a definitive answer. Thus far it's been pretty much the equal to the Reds that I've used. Interested to hear if your opinion changes. Since they cost quite a bit more, I think they'd need to be distinctly better for me to consider using them over the Reds.

I think sharper blades in general can be like that. So many people find Nacets to be smooth and I think they're one of the rougher blades I have ever used. And yet, Feathers don't feel rough to me. You may be in the camp where the med preps are rough and other people think they're very comfortable.

They are my number 1 blade and the only one that works in all of my DE razors. However, I don't find any significant difference in the Labs or Med Preps.

Controversial topic!

To me Med Preps are the same as Lab Blues (which I like a lot)! Some think they are superior, but my understanding is that the only difference is that Med Preps get an additional cleaning step.

I just used a Med Prep for the 5th shave today. After hearing so much about them I had to give them a try so I bought 10 blades off ebay. I got a nice close shave today, but to me this blade is not that smooth. On my face the Labs and Reds seem much smoother I'll use up my supply and my impression might change. Does anyone else think the Med Preps are not as smooth as the other Personnas?
can_of_worms.jpg

To my face, Med Preps feel exactly the same as Lab Blues. Given the price difference, that means I won't be buying the Med Preps again. But that still rates them higher than most of the others I've tried.

I like the Med Preps very much.
If they are in fact the same blade as the Labs then I’ve been totally duped. Lol!!
They are my most numerous blade. Close to 300 of them.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I tried Med Preps a few years ago and found them to be harsh. Maybe I got a bad batch, I don't know.

I have more than 500 on hand, as they and the PolSilvers are my top 2 blades.
I have been shaving with my Gillette New LC and 2 blades that used gave me horrible shaves and plenty of irritation.
As stubborn as I am, I tried a third blade and got the great shaves that I always expected with these blades.
Either I was in a slump or I got 2 bad blades in a row.

I guess I shouldn't be so quick to post an opinion of a blade without using it more than once! When I went back to the Med Prep I got really good shaves. After using the Med Preps in a Merkur 34c they seem to perform a lot like the Lab Blues. Another blade that I originally thought was overrated until I used it more. I think 5 shaves might be too many with these blades for me. I'll probably start changing blades sooner than wait for a rough shave and blame the blade!!

Just had an awesome shave with a med prep and Fatip Gentile. It was the blade’s 3rd use.
Welp, it was all downhill from here. Subsequently I had two miserable shaves with a Game Changer 84 and Rockwell R3. My experience was that it lost its edge very quickly.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Med Preps are fine blades. They are very sharp and have good longevity.

It sounds like you're on the first blade, so you might change your mind.

I purchased Labs and Med Preps by the 100's, and my experience was that they are incredibly similar. For the ones I used the Med Preps had slightly better quality control. Not that the Labs were bad: I averaged 4% with a bad edge.

Yesterday I ordered 25 med prep blades for $15.99. To me they are rather expensive, and I wanted to see if a more expensive blade would be worth the extra money. I've been using Dorco Prime, Gillette yellow and Derby Premium.

Last edited:
Top Bottom