What's new

Personna Med Prep blades

Yesterday I received a box of Personna Med Prep blades that I traded for and used one today for the first time. Loaded into my E-3 Fat Boy set on 5, I got one of the best effortless shaves yet. These med prep blades are the smoothest blade I've ever used. Even more smooth than Gillette Silver Blue blades. I can't wait for tomorrow's shave to see how well it performs on a second shave.
So what does everyone else that's used these blades think about them?

I like GSB. Just finished a Med Prep Blade, and yes they are very good. Feel sharper than the GSB, and I love the fact of no glue
on the blade...

They are my number 1 blade. Smooth and sharp. I started using them in 2010 and periodically try other blades. However, for me, nothing has been as good.

I'll match them with anything out there. Only GSB & Polsilver are in the same league for me, Voskhod just a step behind. The only downside is longevity, but that's not what they're intended for.

I like them just fine

I prefer Spoilers though.

Spoilers are definitely a great razor as well. I've only used two of them so far. One of them didn't want to give up the fight and wanted to give great shaves forever. After 20 shaves I tossed it out just so I could use something else.

The second shave was even better than the first using the Personna Med Prep blade. I used it in my Fat Boy again, this time set on 7. Got that rare for me BBS today.:001_smile

I've used Personna Med Prep and Personna Lab blades. I tend to favor the Personna Lab, and honestly I'm one that can't tell a difference between them. The reason I favor the Lab blades is simply because of price. The Med Prep is just too expensive. Even Personna has stated in the past that they are the same blades, but the Med Prep goes through an additional wash, if I remember the threads properly.

While they are fine, they don't seem to last as long as other blades do for me, and aren't as comfortable on later shaves, like the 4th, 5th, etc. Instead, I tend to favor Gillette Black, Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilver Super Iridium, and Feather. I've used a Gillette Silver for 14 shaves, and only stopped because I dropped it when rinsing it and the razor.

In the end, use whatever blade you prefer, and enjoy yourself! That's what this is all about! :)

Med Preps are my best and most numerous blade in my stash.... smoothest and best longevity.

I went 30 shaves one time on one of them.... only my Perma Sharp Supers rival them.

I love the Med Prep Blades!

I get four BBS shaves from each of them.

Which after trying Feather, Astra, Silver Blue, Voskhod and one or two other brands I gleefully purchased a hundred of them.

I love the Med Prep Blades!

I get four BBS shaves from each of them.

Which after trying Feather, Astra, Silver Blue, Voskhod and one or two other brands I gleefully purchased a hundred of them.

+1. 4 great shaves but it really starts to give up the ghost on #5

Excellent blades IMO. For me, Personna med preps are essentially identical to their lab blues. I also like Personna (Israeli) reds.

Rounding out my top tier are German Wilkinson swords and GSB.

I've been using the Med Preps just short of a year. I bought the Lab Blues recently to compare. Not much difference, but BOTH are better than the six blades I tried in a sampler pack.
I'll wind up using the Lab Blues up, since SWMBO refuses to use anything other than the Med Preps.
One definite difference between the two blades is that the Lab Blues are enclosed in a single wrap while the Med Preps are double wrapped. (both in bulk packages). I guess that is keeping with the preservation of the finish and fending off contamination.
Great blades.

Well, the assessment that 7 to 8 shaves can be had with a Personna Med Prep blade before needing to chuck it, is pretty dead on. Tossed my first one today after the 7th shave.

Top Bottom