What's new

Personna Matrix 3 razor

I had to share this with you guys. I happen to love my Gillette Mach3 razor, I just hate the high price of the cartridge refills. I went to my nearby Walmart to price the cartridges there and YES they are expensive (about $16.00) for 8 of them. I then noticed that there was a competition razor which looks very much like the Mach 3, so I bought it to test it out.
It's made by Personna, the Matrix 3 and it shaves great! :biggrin:
It has the same sleek look as my chrome Mach 3, slightly longer and lighter. The Matrix 3 razor costs $3.96 as opposed to the $8.00 Mach 3. The cartridge refills costs $4.36 as opposed to the $9.00 Mach 3 refills. It looks like I have a new favorite cartridge razor, at least until Gillette lowers their prices or the store stops carrying matrix 3 refills. Just thought I'd share since I was pretty excited.
Ernest
proxy.php

Mach 3 on the left. Matrix 3 on the right
proxy.php

Mach 3 on the left. Matrix 3 on the right
proxy.php

My new favorite cartridge razor
proxy.php

J

Jarmo P

ASR makes quality cartridge razors that amazingly are cheaper than their original Gillette models/cartridges.
I am lucky in that I can shave just as well with a cartridge razor as wel as with a DE, so I rotate between them on alternative days. Mine is a generic Personna Tri-Flexxx model that can be bought here under a local brand name and it is a Sensor 3 clone.

Not sure if your Matrix cartridges can go to Mach3, since I have seen that razor only in pictures

Nope, Matrix cartridges don't fit the Mach 3. That would've solved all my problems. On the Matrix, the tiny shaft of the carridge that slides onto the razor is narrower than the Mach 3 so it won't fit. On the Mach 3, the release buttom is pressed forward to remove the cartridge, on the Matrix 3, the release button is pushed backwards to remove the cartridge.
Ernest

J

Jarmo P

This is the only site I found, not after your post, but a month ago, that has some information on Matrix 3:
http://www.tanacara.com/ingles/produtos.php?p=lancamento

Here in Finland it is not available. It could be a good razor and I rather think it is.
Some Gillette patent does not allow it it marketed in here or what I think rather? Just no real interest. Wet shavers getting the Fusion or Mach 3, not really interested on the shaving cost. Since it is not compatible with Gillette handle no one cares to bring it up to mass markets in here?

If it shaves well for you I should stay with it. Really interesting though to know on what countries ASR markets Matrix 3.

I know this thread should have been on a general shave forum than here :p
Here the DE snobs that think cartridge razors are all bad and get annoyed, lol.
Just a joke

Does anyone know how long it will be before companies like Personna can start selling Mach3 compatible cartridges? There must be some kind of time limit on the patent, because you can buy non-Gillette TracII and Atra cartridges. Or maybe Gillette sold the rights to Personna, Walgreens, RiteAid, etc. to make them? Anyone know how that works?

Just curious.

-Mason

Does anyone know how long it will be before companies like Personna can start selling Mach3 compatible cartridges? There must be some kind of time limit on the patent, because you can buy non-Gillette TracII and Atra cartridges. Or maybe Gillette sold the rights to Personna, Walgreens, RiteAid, etc. to make them? Anyone know how that works?

Just curious.

-Mason
I'm thinking it takes something like 20 years for the patent to expire, which I think would explain the TracII and Atra generics.

Don't quote me though, I'm no expert in the murky depths of patent laws.

these are sold under the personna brand in mercadona brand supermarkets in spain, and under the auchan brand in alcampo supermarkets in spain,

just in case you visit spain,

Is this thing still even on the market? ARSCO doesn't have it listed on their website...and since Gillette is going after DORCO due to their 6 blade razor, I wouldn't be surprised that Gillette shut the Matrix3 down as well.

It seems to me that someone should be looking at anti-trust issues with Gillette...

why is gillette going after DORCO ? they have a patent on shaving utencils with ridiculous ammount of blades ?

I was checking out the razors at Whole Foods--and they carry the generic Personna Tri-Flexxx, too.

I was actually looking at the blades for the recycled razors and bought a pack of their twin blades for my Sensor. Four cartridges for about four bucks. The shave was remarkably good, so I emailed Recycline, the company that sells them, and guess who makes 'em?

Yep, ASR. They have side-stepped the patent issue by the design differences in the cartridge itself.

I had to share this with you guys. I happen to love my Gillette Mach3 razor, I just hate the high price of the cartridge refills. I went to my nearby Walmart to price the cartridges there and YES they are expensive (about $16.00) for 8 of them. I then noticed that there was a competition razor which looks very much like the Mach 3, so I bought it to test it out.
It's made by Personna, the Matrix 3 and it shaves great! :biggrin:
It has the same sleek look as my chrome Mach 3, slightly longer and lighter. The Matrix 3 razor costs $3.96 as opposed to the $8.00 Mach 3. The cartridge refills costs $4.36 as opposed to the $9.00 Mach 3 refills. It looks like I have a new favorite cartridge razor, at least until Gillette lowers their prices or the store stops carrying matrix 3 refills. Just thought I'd share since I was pretty excited.
Ernest

I've been using Personna Atras for years. I have to admit I'm a little tempted...

-Mason

BTW, I thought the criteria for "Safety Razor" is that it's not a straight. That would include DE's and cartridges.

I'm thinking it takes something like 20 years for the patent to expire, which I think would explain the TracII and Atra generics.

Don't quote me though, I'm no expert in the murky depths of patent laws.

Under recent changes in the laws, in the United States patents are now granted for a term of 20 years from the date of application (14 years for design patents). Different rules apply for patents covered by applications filed before June 8, 1995. Patents may be extended only by a special act of Congress (except for certain pharmaceutical patents).

After expiration of the term of the patent, the person holding the patent loses the right to exclude others from utilizing the invention, so that anyone can go ahead and make use of the invention without permission of the patent holder.

why is gillette going after DORCO ? they have a patent on shaving utencils with ridiculous ammount of blades ?

Apparently Gillette believes that they own the rights to every conceivable method of producing a razor: http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/04/...iness/suit.php

Seriously though, I appreciate that Gillette has patents and that they are the market leader, but based on simple public policy I would be inclined to deny Gillette's claim if I were a judge.

With the Caliber and GT ranges, they really should bin the Matrix. Even more bizarrely they reintroduced the Triflexxx...

Sold in the ALDI supermarket chain in the UK under their own label brand.

3 Blade Razor Shaving System

Replacement blades in six pack at same bargain price.

3 Blade Razor Shaving System Refills
Yep! I just went to Aldi and picked up a Matrix 3 handle with 3 blades for £1.99 and a six pack of carts for another £1.99 so that’s
Matrix 3 handle plus 9 carts for £3.98!!!!!

It’s a great shaver I must say and in terms of performance and feel just as good as the Pace 3.
Really nice handle too.

The bad news for Brit users - Edgewell UK have just advised me that the Matrix 3 is discontinued here.

A visit to three ALDI branches (the last source) has confirmed this - no handle/cartridges packs or replacement cartridge packs to be found.

I have discovered, by chance, that there is UK Shave Club which uses compatible cartridges - have asked if they will consider selling these, less replacement handles which are a different profile from the regular Personna model.

Awaiting reply.

Top Bottom