What's new

Personna Lab Blue vs. Personna Med Prep (a direct comparison)

I just received an Amazon order with the Personna blades that I was expecting them to be Lab Blues, but pretty sure they are not. It was mentioned in another thread I started a while ago and will have to revisit to see if I goofed. Here's the picture of the box and blade wrapper and blade. I don't think these are the Lab Blues, Israeli blue or red, or Crystals. What is this?

Personna 1.jpg

Personna 2.jpg
Personna 3.jpg

I just received an Amazon order with the Personna blades that I was expecting them to be Lab Blues, but pretty sure they are not. It was mentioned in another thread I started a while ago and will have to revisit to see if I goofed. Here's the picture of the box and blade wrapper and blade. I don't think these are the Lab Blues, Israeli blue or red, or Crystals. What is this?

View attachment 1212874

View attachment 1212875View attachment 1212876
I ordered some of those from Amazon also and I thought those are suppose to be lab blues.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great review and comments here. I’m a fan of the blues. But haven’t tried the Med preps yet probably due to cost and the general confusion about the packaging. At one time I found the med preps at a medical supply site suggested on B&B but I didn’t pull the trigger bc of the # and higher cost. I need another 100 blades like I need a hole in the head lol

I ordered some of those from Amazon also and I thought those are suppose to be lab blues.
I just re-read the thread I started back in November, and am still wondering which blades these are as B&B members said if it has an American address then they are the Lab Blues. Another member that the 100 pack from Amazon is the Israeli or German made blades, while the 200 pack are the Lab Blues.

Are these "Platinum Chrome" blades a different blade than any of the others? I was hoping what I ordered would have been the Lab Blues since I had such a great 1st shave with the Personna "Lab Blues" that came with my Blackland Dart and Brass Blackbirds. The ones that Shane from Blackland included with the razors have a laser etched logo, and I have 8 shaves on that same blade and no telling how long it will last. I'll have to open up the 200 pack and see if they are the Lab Blues or these same "Platinum Chrome" blades.

Here's the link to that other thread. I did learn a lot from comments from other B&B members in that thread, so I figured this might be a great way to share the knowledge if people in this thread wanted to learn more about these blades from Personna.

The Lab Blue blades are made by AccuTech Blades in Verona, VA and are sold as "Comfort Coated".

The Platinum Chrome blades dated 2019 are likely to have been made in the Nazareth Israel plant. Even though they are in blue packaging, they are the same as Israeli Reds. The address of Edgewell Personal Care in Shelton, CT is the address of the corporate offices, not where the blades are made.

Once you get to 2020, the situation becomes more confusing. They started making Platinum Chrome blades in Germany, but some stock from Israel (both in red and blue packaging) was still available. As of 2021, stocks of Israeli blades have diminished and prices have escalated. I am glad I purchase 100 before the price went up.

View attachment 1212874

View attachment 1212875View attachment 1212876

Personna must be the most confusing razor blade brand in history! We have tried to explain this to people so many times on the forum.
😖

Those are not the Lab Blue, Israeli Red, Crystals, etc. I think those are the Personna Super Stainless that are sold at some drugstores and beauty supply places like Sally's. Here is the UPC record:

persona-upc.png

The Lab Blues come in a package that looks like this:

personna-lab-pack.png

It is not true to say if the blades have a US address on the box, they are Lab Blues. Lab Blues are made only in Verona, VA by Accutec.

The blades you got are made by Edgewell, so they cannot be Lab Blues.

For those that want the Lab Blues, it is better to buy them from a reputable shaving merchant and not Amazon. If you want to save a few dollars, just wait for a sale. Sales happen fairly frequently.

Personna must be the most confusing razor blade brand in history! We have tried to explain this to people so many times on the forum.
😖

Those are not the Lab Blue, Israeli Red, Crystals, etc. I think those are the Personna Super Stainless that are sold at some drugstores and beauty supply places like Sally's. Here is the UPC record:

View attachment 1213076

View attachment 1213077
It is not true to say if the blades have a US address on the box, they are Lab Blues. Lab Blues are made only in Verona, VA by Accutec.

For those that want the Lab Blues, it is better to buy them from a reputable shaving merchant and not Amazon. If you want to save a few dollars, just wait for a sale. Sales happen fairly frequently.

You're missing the point, I was just trying to find out what these are and the research I've done today these are likely Israeli Reds like RayClem mentions in the post before yours.

You're missing the point, I was just trying to find out what these are and the research I've done today these are likely Israeli Reds like RayClem mentions in the post before yours.
You are missing the point! I'm trying to clear up the pointless confusion. Why don't you just buy the right blades instead of trying to save a few dollars that is not worth the hassle or the headache.

Also, I tried to tell you what they are up above.

Signing off.

😖

View attachment 1213076

View attachment 1213077

the ones I got from Amazon are lab blues then, thanks for the information

You are missing the point! I'm trying to clear up the pointless confusion. Why don't you just buy the right blades instead of trying to save a few dollars that is not worth the hassle or the headache.

Signing off.
No, you ARE missing the point. I stated earlier I bought 7 100 packs of the real deal Lab Blues at Maggards. YES 7!!!! It's not an issue of saving a few bucks. I just wanted to know what these were, and yes I was secretly hoping these were the Lab Blues but it doesn't matter as I have 1000 Lab Blues and now 200 Israeli Reds and 200 Crystals. Your snarkyness isn't appreciated either sir.

Signing off.

The UPC code makes these the regular barber blades? Maybe I'm wrong but these appear to be the Israeli Reds and if it were in a 2020 dated box I would have determined these were the new German Platinum Chrome blades. Not buying these are the barber blades.

I'm not trying to be snarky, just being direct. Please use whatever blades you wish. However, I'm just pointing out that the Personna blades shown below are the ones that have worked the best for me and quite a few others on the forum. These are both made by Accutec in Verona, VA.
1611543110913.png

1611543294551.png

The Edgewell blades are made by another company and many people get good results with those.

I'll leave it at that. This confusion about Personna blades has been going on for years and will probably continue to go on for years in the future.

I think I'm up to speed on the differences now. Thanks for your contributions. So far for my limited experience using these Personnas, I can tell the Lab Blues work better for me. The Platinum Chrome shave today was good, and the Crystals were good just not as good as the Lab Blues.

I think I'm up to speed on the differences now. Thanks for your contributions. So far for my limited experience using these Personnas, I can tell the Lab Blues work better for me. The Platinum Chrome shave today was good, and the Crystals were good just not as good as the Lab Blues.

The Lab Blues are good blades; so are the Personna Platinum Chrome. The Comfort Coating on the Lab Blues means I get a lousy first shave. The coating dulls the edge so they are not sharp enough for my coarse beard. After that first shave, however, the coating wears off and they work great for me. Thus, I prefer the Personna Platinum Chromes as they do not have a thick coating. However, for those whose beards are not so coarse, the Lab Blues are great.

I can't say anything, because neither Persona Lab Blue nor Persona Med Prep, I did not use, since I do not have them. But from the words of experienced users, I know that Personna Med Prep is better, but also costs more...:a36:

Top Bottom