What's new

Personna Lab Blue Overrated???

Hi guys.
Just wanted to share my experience with the Personna Lab Blue blades. I shave daily and use an Edwin Jagger DE89 along with the Astra SP or the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless blades. Both are great blades in my opinion.
After hearing so much about the Personna Lab Blue, I decided to purchase a pack of 100 online. Pretty expensive. USD30. My Astra costs USD12. A huge difference no doubt.
I've been shaving with the same Personna blade daily since I got the package and I've just completed my 5th shave. I'm impressed! My beard is very course and my neck area is very sensitive. But the Personna handles these with no problems whatsoever. Still feels sharp, minimal tugging. And it's still very smooth. It's the smoothest blade I've ever experienced. If I can get 7 shaves out of one blade, I'll surely order another 200 blades, which will last me a while. I know I can get 6 awesome shaves with this blade.
I've read online that these blades are overrated. This is the first time that I've used Personna blades, so I can't really say for sure if they have gone down in terms of quality over a number of years. But I personally love it.
I love the Astra SP as well as the 7 O'Clock Super Stainless. Very sharp and smooth, but I get a maximum of 5 good shaves out of each of them. And these 2 are a lot cheaper than the Personnas and easily available.
What do you guys think of this blade? Of course everyone's beard and skin type is different. Also need to take into consideration that using different razors will cause the blade to perform differently as well. For me, the Edwin Jagger DE89, Personna Lab Blue are perfect for me. Have a great day!

Mark
proxy.php

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

They are overrated for the price you paid.! I really like my Lab Blue blades. I have seen them on Ebay for around 12-13 something bucks shipped per 100 blades. The Astra blades shave about the same for me though. The EJ DE89 is one heck of a great razor for these blades. :thumbup1:

They are overrated for the price you paid.! I really like my Lab Blue blades. I have seen them on Ebay for around 12-13 something bucks shipped per 100 blades. The Astra blades shave about the same for me though. The EJ DE89 is one heck of a great razor for these blades. [emoji106]1:
Yeah I paid too much for them for sure. Especially buying them from over here in Malaysia. But I really wanted to try these blades. And yes, they feel great in the Edwin Jagger DE89. In fact, Edwin Jagger razors make most blades feed good.

The Astras don't agree with my skin. The Labs and Med Prep blades work best for me. Fortunately in the U.S., the Labs are not expensive.

I think personnas are overrated too,the labs and preps,israeli personna i like better,and can be found for cheaper.Astra sp and ss in my opinion are better blades,best blades overall for any razor,price and performance.

The Astras don't agree with my skin. The Labs and Med Prep blades work best for me. Fortunately in the U.S., the Labs are not expensive.
Lucky you mate. No store sells them here. I have to get them online and with shipping charges etc, the price goes way up. I'm glad I bought it and tried it out. They're good blades. Really like them but I'll still continue to use the Astra and 7 O'Clock Super Stainless. I get almost similar good shaves and I spend a lot less. Lol.

Personna labs and Astra SP are two of my favorite blades!! :clap: :clap:

The biggest difference for me is that the labs often take a shave or two to settle in, then they last for at least 7-10 shaves. In contrast, the Astras are very comfortable right out of the wrapper but don’t last quite as long! YMMV for sure, both are very fine!!

Personna labs and Astra SP are two of my favorite blades!! :clap: :clap:

The biggest difference for me is that the labs often take a shave or two to settle in, then they last for at least 7-10 shaves. In contrast, the Astras are very comfortable right out of the wrapper but don’t last quite as long! YMMV for sure, both are very fine!!
Love both these blades. Really high performance blades for sure.
Have you tried the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless? Come in a green cardboard box. Not to be confused with the 7 O'Clock Permasharp. The Super Stainless is slightly sharper and smoother than the Personnas. But I'm have yet to try for 5-6 shaves. Made in Russia, they're easy to get here in Malaysia and cheap. I usually throw out a blade after 3 shaves. But I feel these can last 5-6 easily. I'll test these out right after the Personna blade I'm currently using is no good anymore. 5th shave and it's still pretty good so far.

That is quite a steep price for Lab Blues. I am shuddering just thinking if you still had to pay taxes and shipping on that... Lab blues themselves when purchased at reasonable pricing, are great imho!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I just bought a 100 off of Amazon not three weeks ago for $22 and change. Love em!

You may want to try the Personna Israeli Reds. I bought 100 of those for $18 and change and find them to be excellent as well.

It's the shipping that's making it expensive here. No matter from Amazon, Ebay, or Lazada...overall cost comes to around USD30/++ for 100.
Amazon may not ship to Malaysia either.
Personna Reds shipping cost USD24 from Amazon....Ouchh!
Thanks to B&B...I have some PIF blades but yet to try...

I am biased towards the Astra blades and they suit me just fine. The Personna blades caused me irritation in the same razors after the first shave.
I am now motoring through my Personna blades pitching them after the first shave.
They are working fine giving me one good “Comfort Coated” shave. Still cheaper than cartridges.

I am biased towards the Astra blades and they suit me just fine. The Personna blades caused me irritation in the same razors after the first shave.
I am now motoring through my Personna blades pitching them after the first shave.
They are working fine giving me one good “Comfort Coated” shave. Still cheaper than cartridges.

Just goes to show how true YMMV is. My primary experience is around 3 blades: Feather, Personna Blue, Astra SP

Sharpness: Feather > Personna > Astra (not to say Astra is not sharp, just not as Sharp as the other two)
Comfort: Personna > Astra > Feather
Longevity: Personna ~= Astra > Feather

I might keep my 50 Feathers to use in my milder razor but honestly, just do not see going away from the Personna Blues or Astra SP's.

I can use Astra SP, but do not like them. They are not sharp enough for my tough beard.
I like Personna Lab blue after the first shave. They are not quite sharp enough on the first shave, but are much sharper on the second shave.
I like Astra SS, they are much sharper than the Astra SP.
I love Personna Platinum Israeli Reds. These blades are still available, but I d not know if they are still being produced in Israel. I have also used Personna Platinum blades made in Germany which seem to perform the same as the Israeli blades..

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
First a quick rant: overrated is a ridiculous concept for blades. They work for you or they don't work for you. If they don't work for you they're not overrated - they're just the wrong choice for you.

Labs are fine blades. For quite a few years I used either Labs or Med Preps. I found the Med Preps had a little better quality control - but at twice the price for the same blade (although I don't think they were made in the same place).

Astra's are not smooth enough for me, but that doesn't make them overrated.

Top Bottom