What's new

Personna cartridge razors any good?

I tried the Personna Trac II copies, and they were too rough on my face. But many folks like them and do 3 pass shaves with them

You won't know until you try a brand yourself I guess
There are US and Israeli made versions, I don't know if they differ.

I’m loving the shave from the Personna Tri-Flexx now and the blade has really smoothed out on the second shave.

The narrow heads and closely spaced blades on the Tri-Flexx, Quattro and GT5 make for a very smooth and forgiving shave which is also manouverable and precise.
But of course they are prone to clogging and concentrate the pressure so can incite razor burn too.
With these razors the best idea is to use a very slick prep.

The wider heads on the Matrix and Magnum are a lot easier to rinse and distribute the pressure better so are kinder to the skin.
But the widely spaced blades can make for a rough feeling shave with a tendency to bite if you’re not careful.
And the wider head is less manouverable.
So a prep with more cushion is in order with these.

The Caliber 3 and Caliber 5 have wide heads but sprung blades which reduce the tendency to bite and smooth the shave so I guess that’s the best of both worlds, as well as the addition of the trimmer blade on the back of the 5 bladed carts to compensate for the clunkiness of the main head.

my toxic masculinity prohibits me from buying anything gillette :) that said, i really like edgewell blades (wilkinson, schick, personna etc). My razor to go is hydro 5 sense - rallty perfect for me. But i also tried a personna tri-flexxx bought in a supermarker last week. Really close shave and inexpensive

Our local Aldi has stopped stocking the Matrix system and all the carts are now sold out so I guess that’s it for the Matrix system round here (although the disposables are still in lots of supermarkets).
Aldi have replaced their Magnum system with Caliber 5 too...

There is a Shave Club in the UK that uses Matrix 3 compatible cartridges.

I'll come back to you when they advise if they'll consider selling them separately from subscription deals.

There is a Shave Club in the UK that uses Matrix 3 compatible cartridges.

I'll come back to you when they advise if they'll consider selling them separately from subscription deals.

Yes that would be great - thanks!
I picked up a Tri-Flexxx from Boots when I was on holiday and it just confirmed to me that the Personna cartridge razors are all good!
And apart from the Matrix they’re all available off-brand in UK stores (Magnum is disposable version only).

Tri-Flexx
Matrix
Caliber 3
Magnum
GT5
Caliber 5

All good!

Interesting, I've never looked at the Tri-Flexxx, might have to consider it if the Matrix 3 carts become a challenge to find.

Is it Boots own brand label ? Do any other UK supermarkets etc. sell it ?

On the Shave Club compatibles - here's a link - The Earl and Countess | Sterling Shave Club

I was trawling the net and stumbled up their website and notived that their 3 blade carts looked very much like Matrix 3 heads, since confirmed, they kindly sent me a free handle and blade for trial.

The subscription price for regular subscription mailings appears to be for a handle and 4 blades @ £6.99, plus 70p P&P.

I don't want any handles, so I'm hoping they'll comeback with a more attractive cost.

Top Bottom