What's new

Personna blades

Trying a Personna Med Prep tomorrow morning. Have high hopes. Used a Wizamet this morning and a Feather two mornings ago. I really liked the Feather. The Wizamet was ok...but for me...not as good as the Feather blade.
The Med Preps are a top tier blade.
Smooth and great longevity!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
The Personna Med Prep blade I used this morning gave a very good shave and no skin irritation. The Feather blade I thought was a bit sharper, but it left me with some minor skin irritation afterwards. The Wizamet wasn't as sharp as the Personna or the Feather.

Tomorrow morning, I'm taking a detour and trying a Derby Premium.

So far Personna blades have been the only blades that I have to skip a day of shaving not to get any irritation out of them

Personna Blue was the first blade I tried when I returned to DE shaving about 15 years ago. I use them still. Great blade

Yesterday I used Personna Israel Red on Feather Popular.That was my first time try to this blade.
Wmm...is it as good blade as people saying?
I spent a lot of passes for decent shave with this,at least for me 3 passes is not enough to shave.
Yes certainly I could decent shave with no skin damage finally,but I spent a lot of time to achieve.
It is not efficient,at least so far for me.
I wonder my way to use this is wrong,or Popular is no good for this blade?
Could anyone give me advices?

JCarr

Personna Lab Blue and Personna Israeli Reds are in my rotation. I find both blades provide a good shave.

JCarr

Yesterday I used Personna Israel Red on Feather Popular.That was my first time try to this blade.
I spent a lot of passes for decent shave with this,at least for me 3 passes is not enough to shave.
Yes certainly I could decent shave with no skin damage finally,but I spent a lot of time to achieve.

The only thing I can say is...it simply may not be the blade for you. Although many think it's sharp and smooth enough, you might need something different. Have you tried Personna Med Prep blades? I think they're a bit sharper than either the Red or the Lab Blue.

The only thing I can say is...it simply may not be the blade for you. Although many think it's sharp and smooth enough, you might need something different. Have you tried Personna Med Prep blades? I think they're a bit sharper than either the Red or the Lab Blue.
Thank you for replying.I think Astra SP and Feather are sharper and smoother.But the irritation is a little bit too much.
Forgiveness of Personna is still awesome.I want the blade having those forgiveness and sharpness.
Med Prep is too expensive for me.
I'll continue to searching the best inexpensive blade for me,please give me your opinion that what blade should I try next.

JCarr

Thank you for replying.I think Astra SP and Feather are sharper and smoother.But the irritation is a little bit too much.
Forgiveness of Personna is still awesome.I want the blade having those forgiveness and sharpness.
Med Prep is too expensive for me.
I'll continue to searching the best inexpensive blade for me,please give me your opinion that what blade should I try next.

After you've picked out a few you think would be worth a try, you can purchase a couple of those blades from www.tryablade.com.

This way you're not wasting your money on quantities of blades that don't work for you.

Enjoy the research!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same Feather Popular and then only blade I used on it is the Feather blade. That's because the razor itself is a really mild razor and as a result not very efficient. Even with a Feather blade and 3+1 passes I can only get a DFS+ result.
So...in my humble opinion it is the razor and not the blade.

To JCarr
Thanks for letting know me those great sites.
I've seen those sites,first site says Personna is sharper than Astra SP.But I cant accept this opinion.
For me,if I'll be forgiven to say,Personna was dull as like as Dorco.
I barely did close shave with those blades,spending 5 or 6 or more passes.
So I couldn't trust that site's opinion so far.

I haven't yet tried to buy from second site,but if I have opportunity,I'll try.

To Chard52142

Thank you.It's interesting opinion for me.
Some of Japanese damn people who lurking this site or other shaving community,taught me the opinion that Popular isn't good for close shave.But I'm sure that most Japanese people have inferiority complex about relation between Japanese(or Asian) and occidental.
So I don't accept their negative opinion about Japanese products.

But your opinion is helpful for me as non-Japanese mention.

The Popular is good razor for me,but I want to try others.
Now I waiting for Fatip Piccolo sent from Connaught Shaving.I'll try personna blade with Fatip when arrive.After I'll post review here again.

To Chard52142

Thank you.It's interesting opinion for me.
Some of Japanese damn people who lurking this site or other shaving community,taught me the opinion that Popular isn't good for close shave.But I'm sure that most Japanese people have inferiority complex about relation between Japanese(or Asian) and occidental.
So I don't accept their negative opinion about Japanese products.

But your opinion is helpful for me as non-Japanese mention.

The Popular is good razor for me,but I want to try others.
Now I waiting for Fatip Piccolo sent from Connaught Shaving.I'll try personna blade with Fatip when arrive.After I'll post review here again.
Congrats on the Fatip! It is a good razor and definitely a few steps up from the Feather Popular. I just shave with the Fatip OC this morning. It was a great smooth shave. The thing with this DE shaving is the pairing of a suitable blade with various razors. It is a journey...a very enjoyable journey of discovery...hahahaha..sometimes not so good but if you found that heavenly pairing of razor and blade...wow!

Yup, now owned by Edgewell Personal Care. Its still American-owned though, as Edgewell is based in Missouri.

Edgewell Personal Care is a conglomerate that owns the Personna and Schick brands and the Wilkinson Sword brand in Europe and North America. Although it is an American company, its razors and blades are primarily produced in Germany, now that the Israeli plant has closed.

The Personna blades made in the USA are made by Accu Tech Blades in Verona, VA. This plant was originally known as the American Safety Razor Company and was once the Personna Industrial Division. They are the only company still producing producing razor blades in the USA. Although no longer part of Edgewell, they have the manufacturing rights to produce blades under the Personna and GEM labels for the industrial, medical and laboratory markets. Shavers have adopted these blades for shaving use. That is why they are called Lab Blues and Med Preps.

now that the Israeli plant has closed.
How do you know that the Israeli plant has closed? Just because some blades are being produced in Germany now? I mean it had been rumored to have shut some time ago based on stated intentions that may have changed, misinformation, videos of a deserted plant that was apparently never used by Personna to begin with, etc.

Is there new information that has come out since March when I gave solid evidence that the plant hadn't closed?

That's the thing about this forum, once people get something in their minds, it becomes fact, and no other evidence matters. Especially when it comes to Personna. Like I just saw a post a few days ago where someone claimed that we'll never know if the "Labs" and "Meds" are basically the same or not because Personna (or their parent company) aren't forthcoming. Yet if you go back some time on this forum you'll find that people have written to the company and received replies that they are the same blade that goes through an additional wash or something. But that doesn't please the people who would rather remain mystified, and those who are convinced that they get a much better shave from the blades that cost more.

One advantage on forums may be if people would search the forum and internet before just blindly repeating what they hear, or read, or believe.

Don't mean this to sound harsh, but there is a lot of good information on this forum that pretty much gets obliterated by the flack until no one has a clue as to the facts. I'll apologize if you come up with real evidence other than hearsay and old company memos of intent that actually may or may not have come to pass.

I'll leave you with a tip: buy all the Polsilvers you can get your hands on. I understand these popular blades are no longer being produced. :lol:

How do you know that the Israeli plant has closed? Just because some blades are being produced in Germany now? I mean it had been rumored to have shut some time ago based on stated intentions that may have changed, misinformation, videos of a deserted plant that was apparently never used by Personna to begin with, etc.

Is there new information that has come out since March when I gave solid evidence that the plant hadn't closed?

The 10-pack dispensers of private label blades found at the grocery store that used to state they were made in Israel, now state clearly on the packaging that they are made in Germany. This was in the US, the same has been reported in the UK.

If Edgewell is supplying this product out of Germany instead of Israel, it doesn't much matter to me whether or not the plant is closed or not, because for all intents and purposes Israeli blades are not available though the same channels I used to get them. Though frankly I don't have much of an opinion about it, because I have tried blades that are said to have been from both plants and don't find much of a difference between them. Presumably if the company changes its mind about the plant closing, that will become public at some point, because it is a public company. Until then, doesn't matter. Those who need blades made in Israel will find them in the sales channels.

The 10-pack dispensers of private label blades found at the grocery store that used to state they were made in Israel, now state clearly on the packaging that they are made in Germany. This was in the US, the same has been reported in the UK.

If Edgewell is supplying this product out of Germany instead of Israel, it doesn't much matter to me whether or not the plant is closed or not, because for all intents and purposes Israeli blades are not available though the same channels I used to get them. Though frankly I don't have much of an opinion about it, because I have tried blades that are said to have been from both plants and don't find much of a difference between them. Presumably if the company changes its mind about the plant closing, that will become public at some point, because it is a public company. Until then, doesn't matter. Those who need blades made in Israel will find them in the sales channels.
So because German made blades are now available means the Israeli plant has closed? I don't care if it matters to you or not, it is being stated as a fact that the plant has closed. I'm interested in facts, not feelings and perceptions.

If it the announcements are publicly disclosed, the actual closing of the plant must be publicly disclosed also. Where's the evidence (other than utube videos of an unrelated plant)?

So are all the online retailers advertising Israeli made blades selling discontinued stock, or just ignorant that the blades are now made in Germany?

Has anyone considered the possibility that maybe blades are in enough demand that Personna can actually produce them at more than one plant, just as they've had plants in more than one country in the past?

Marketing may come in to play also. Many parts of the world have an anti-Israel bias, so Personna may have decided to market blades from Germany, at least in certain areas.

In any case, it's clear to me that people have been accepting and repeating things as fact that aren't entirely true, and I think it does matter.

So because German made blades are now available means the Israeli plant has closed? I don't care if it matters to you or not, it is being stated as a fact that the plant has closed. I'm interested in facts, not feelings and perceptions.

If it the announcements are publicly disclosed, the actual closing of the plant must be publicly disclosed also. Where's the evidence (other than utube videos of an unrelated plant)?

So are all the online retailers advertising Israeli made blades selling discontinued stock, or just ignorant that the blades are now made in Germany?

Has anyone considered the possibility that maybe blades are in enough demand that Personna can actually produce them at more than one plant, just as they've had plants in more than one country in the past?

Marketing may come in to play also. Many parts of the world have an anti-Israel bias, so Personna may have decided to market blades from Germany, at least in certain areas.

In any case, it's clear to me that people have been accepting and repeating things as fact that aren't entirely true, and I think it does matter.

You are being rather aggressively combative about this for reasons that are not clear to me.

The company told its investor-owners that it is closing the plant. We have no reason to disbelieve this, given that the only actual evidence in our hands is that the company has moved private label manufacturing of DE blades from Israel to Germany. Given that, it is not an excessive leap of logic to believe that the company is in the process of executing its previously stated plans. We have seen nothing from the company either way about whether that process is complete. Having worked most of my life for large corporations, I am well aware that the best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray. As this post is being written, the project may still be in progress, or it may have been canceled. What does it matter? None of us are in a decision making capacity for the company. They will keep it open, or not, as their business needs dictate. Nobody is making blades for the pleasure of anyone on this board. Buy them or don’t.

You are being rather aggressively combative about this for reasons that are not clear to me.

The company told its investor-owners that it is closing the plant. We have no reason to disbelieve this, given that the only actual evidence in our hands is that the company has moved private label manufacturing of DE blades from Israel to Germany. Given that, it is not an excessive leap of logic to believe that the company is in the process of executing its previously stated plans. We have seen nothing from the company either way about whether that process is complete. Having worked most of my life for large corporations, I am well aware that the best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray. As this post is being written, the project may still be in progress, or it may have been canceled. What does it matter? None of us are in a decision making capacity for the company. They will keep it open, or not, as their business needs dictate. Nobody is making blades for the pleasure of anyone on this board. Buy them or don’t.
I stated my reasons, and I showed evidence on other threads. If I'm being "aggressively combative", your reasons for adding to that and provoking it further are unclear to me when you don't have any real evidence to add to the discussion.

Simply question; does anyone have any evidence that the plant has actually closed? Where's RayClem? He keeps insisting it has.

If it doesn't matter, than why continue to state it as a fact, or excuse misinformation?

Oh for today’s shave I used a Personna Lab Blue. It was close and nick free. I like these blades a lot but find some of the Russian made ones slightly better. Seems like in the smoothness area the Blues have gone down a little bit. Still, they’ll always be in my rotation being USA made.

Top Bottom