What's new

Personna blades testing

A couple weeks ago, personna put out on IG that they needed testers for a new blade they made. You apply and if accepted, get 100 pack of blades for free and shave with them for a couple weeks. Then make a video reviewing them. They came in today
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Fayiz D.
proxy.php

It also says "blades made in Germany" on the box. I picked up a 10-pack of the German made store brand Personnas and didn't like them at all. Hopefully I just got a bad pack. Looking forward to hearing the reviews of these.

Shave 1: disclaimer I have coarse beard hairs.

I used it in the Stirling Stainless steel with the HA base plate. I had 36ish hours of growth. This blade was not very smooth. Felt tuggy and not as sharp as the Personna made in Israel, feather blades, or nacets. They were on par with Gillette Wilkinson sword blades.

Even though I used one of the most aggressive razors on the market with only 1.5 days growth, I didnt have any cuts or discomforts or irritation. I nicked a small bump on my jaw line but I didn't feel it. Only noticed after applying aftershave. It stopped very quickly.

NO stinging or burning from the alum or aftershave. This seems to be a fine blade but not sharp enough for my coarse whiskers on the first outting. I'll see if it gets better with more use and how long I can use this blade.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

It will be interesting to follow your testing.

Personna Red IP's were an early favorite for me. I haven't had any of the new German manufactured Personnas.
The first use on these new blades were not any where near as smooth as the red IP personna. But again, I have coarse hairs and think these are less sharp. Might be whatever comfort coating is reducing the sharpness.

Fayiz D.

I am wondering if these are the same as the German replacements for the Israeli blades. I am a big fan of smooth blades. It sounds like these are not for me.

Personna is really confusing with their blades. We know that they stopped making blades in Israel and began manufacturing blades in Germany. The labelling on the blades looks the same as the Israeli made blades to me. I haven't used the Lab Blues or Med Preps and I am wondering if the labelling looks the same as well? Personna made other blades in Israel as well, Crystal and Viking Sword come to mind but I know that there were others. I assume that there must be a difference between those blades as Viking Sword and Crystal feel different to me than the Israeli Reds. Perhaps Personna is trying to recreate some of those other Israeli blades in Germany as well. We may never know.

Personna is really confusing with their blades. We know that they stopped making blades in Israel and began manufacturing blades in Germany. The labelling on the blades looks the same as the Israeli made blades to me. I haven't used the Lab Blues or Med Preps and I am wondering if the labelling looks the same as well? Personna made other blades in Israel as well, Crystal and Viking Sword come to mind but I know that there were others. I assume that there must be a difference between those blades as Viking Sword and Crystal feel different to me than the Israeli Reds. Perhaps Personna is trying to recreate some of those other Israeli blades in Germany as well. We may never know.

One of the Personna's moved blade production from Israel to Germany. The brand isn't owned by a single company. Edgewell own the Personna that went from Israel to Germany, Accutec owns the brand in the US that makes the Med Prep/Lab Blues. Similar story with Wilkinson Sword, Gillette own the brand in Asia (hence the Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades made in India and China), Edgwell own it everywhere else.

Other blades that came from the Personna Israeli plant were Western Wall, Qball, Royal, Satinex 2000 Platinum, Eddison, Tomy and also a lot of supermarket own brand blades (some of which were the same but just different packing).

At this point, I just look for the Accutec boxes... but be warned: Amazon has replaced these with the non-Accutec, German-sourced blades under the same ASIN number, and calls them all "Personnas."

A few more shaves:
They are ok. Not as sharp as many other blades like nacets or feathers, or Personna med prep or Reds. I have coarse beard hairs so thats a no go. But if I were to shave dialy it might be fine.

They were a lot better on my dome shaves. Still didn't last BBS as long as normal with my feather blades with the only razor I use on my head (rex ambassador).

Overall: a middle of the road blade and doesn't add anything special to my den for my use.

Fayiz D.

Top Bottom