What's new

Personna 74

Personna 74 blades are amazing. If you have not tried them they are well worth seeking out. They were produced in the early 70s and were made in both DE and injector varieties. I was very fortunate to have recently acquired some of these wonders through a trade with a very generous B&B member.

The blades that were produced by the big American blade manufacturers in the 60s and 70s were arguably the finest DE blades ever made. I think the Personna 74 is the crown jewel of that golden age of DE blade production. These blades were made with tungsten steel for extreme hardness and then coated with titanium for a very smooth finish.

Trying one out has proved to be a real eye opener. They are superb. I am using a blue-tip SuperSpeed and the shaves are close and comfortable. The really amazing thing is the durability of the 74s. I am up to 19 shaves on one blade and it feels as if it is still on shave #3. It just won't quit. I have put it into semi-retirement only because I miss using some of my other blades. I plan to take it out from time to time and find out just how long the darn thing will last.

I haven't experienced another blade that comes close to the Personna 74's combination of sharpness, comfort, and durability.

Agreed. This has become my favorite blade, right behind the Gillette Super Stainless, but it will most likely pass even that blade (which is arguably one of the fines DE blades ever produced) due to the longevity of the edge and the smoothness of the shave. I am up to 12 shaves off one blade, with no end in sight. I generally get 6-7 shaves off the Gillette Super Stainless, as a point of comparison.

The materials used in the production of these blades is top notch, and certainly has something to do with how long they last. Like you, I eventually had to put my last blade aside as I wanted to shave with something else, but I will bring it back out as I want to see how many shaves I can get from one blade.

Oddly enough, shave #1 felt a little rough for me, but after that it was pure gold. I'm using the 74 in a Krona, and find the Krona/74 combo to be about perfect. They work well in the Gillette Rocket as well, so I'm not surprised to hear you are using one in a Super Speed.

I had an old dispenser with 3 of these blades in the back of the cabinet... they've been sitting there for a year and I pulled it out today because of this post. So, I loaded one Personna 74 in a Merkur Classic and got what felt like a really nice shave, but when all said and done, I did have a couple of weepers and a little irritation on my neck. I'm willing to go two or three more days on this blade to see if becomes better - It could be a bad combo, too.

I finally retired the blade after getting 30 shaves from it. Believe me, it still had some more life left in it but I chose to let it go out with dignity rather than to watch it die a slow and pitiful death.

I finally retired the blade after getting 30 shaves from it. Believe me, it still had some more life left in it but I chose to let it go out with dignity rather than to watch it die a slow and pitiful death.
It, or your skin? :biggrin:

That is pretty amazing. I was able to get around 15 shaves off of one 74, which beats the record I achieved with a Gillette Spoiler (10 shaves). It is a real shame that these are not made anymore, but what I do have will obviously last a while.

It, or your skin? :biggrin:

That is pretty amazing. I was able to get around 15 shaves off of one 74, which beats the record I achieved with a Gillette Spoiler (10 shaves). It is a real shame that these are not made anymore, but what I do have will obviously last a while.

I'm getting a few in the mail and I can't hardily wait to try them. It appears that Personna made the ultimate blade, and Gillette decided to out do them with.... the Trac II. :thumbdown

I'm getting a few in the mail and I can't hardily wait to try them. It appears that Personna made the ultimate blade, and Gillette decided to out do them with.... the Trac II. :thumbdown

You won't be disappointed (but if you are, I'd be happy to take them off you hands :wink:). I picked up a few not long ago, and I've only used one (trying to make them last), it lasted 10 shaves. Modern blades normally last 3 for me.

Top Bottom