What's new

Personality - is it nature or nurture?

There may be something in that, although it would probably have been made unconsciously as I can't recall actively thinking it at the time.

Combination of both as others have said. But the one thing that I won't tolerate in an adult or child is: It's just the way I am guy. We have adult relatives that I refused to allow in our home due to this excuse. Allowing certain behaviors due to saying it's their nature grants permission to do what they want, when they want and say what they want, with no repercussion. One in particular was a former school teacher. She always criticized everything, complained about everything and in general was just miserable to be around. I tried for years to get along and finally said no more. I haven't seen her for years and probably never will. As I told one relative that fit in this category of just the way I am guy: You don't like me and I don't like you, Let's not pretend. That was 40 years ago and we never spoke again. As far as I know she never changed her behavior and her circle of relatives grew smaller and smaller as the years went by.

Scientist have studied been studying separated twins from birth. The personalities were uncannily similar, even though they grew up in different environments.

The classic example was the study of German twins. One twin growing up in Nazi Germany (I think) as an Aryan German, while the other grew up as a Jew in the States.

No matter how many separated twins scientists studied, they have continued notice that personalities are similar. Yet there has been no conclusion.

I think humans refuse to believe that the inner self can't be changed because the alternative would mean that we are really living in our own prisons.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Combination of both as others have said. But the one thing that I won't tolerate in an adult or child is: It's just the way I am guy. We have adult relatives that I refused to allow in our home due to this excuse. Allowing certain behaviors due to saying it's their nature grants permission to do what they want, when they want and say what they want, with no repercussion. One in particular was a former school teacher. She always criticized everything, complained about everything and in general was just miserable to be around. I tried for years to get along and finally said no more. I haven't seen her for years and probably never will. As I told one relative that fit in this category of just the way I am guy: You don't like me and I don't like you, Let's not pretend. That was 40 years ago and we never spoke again. As far as I know she never changed her behavior and her circle of relatives grew smaller and smaller as the years went by.
As one of my favorite heroes, Robert A. Heinlein said, "all my enemies are self appointed."

I have been removing folks from my psyche since the madness that is Covid brought their boorish behavior to my attention, and I am better for it. Mentally anyway.

I have chosen to mentally shake the dust from my soles as regards them, see them/speak to them when I choose, and I feel much better.

Some of them I have decided that I will not urinate on their heads if their hair is on fire.

I can be your best friend, or werstest enema, because I'm still licensed as a nurse.....the ball is in THEIR court now.

Yes, I need prayer, obviously, because I can be a hateful mule.

Top Bottom