What's new

Personal Defense Ammo?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I see what you’re saying, and it’s a great idea, but something about that rings, “poor form.” And we know it is poor form because why not then just advertise this fact? “Only works with our ammo.” “Works best with SIG ammo.” Whatever. You know what I mean. I mean useless ammo performance reflects poorly on a gun.

The fact is, I buy Glocks because they are pigs and eat just about anything reliably. I carry a 43 that has no more rounds than a snub and isn’t exactly a laser because I know it’s a pig and it’ll go bang. And if I’m in some po-dunk town, and I’m forced to buy ammo locally, I’m pretty confident it’ll go bang too.

If that ever changed, I’d pack a 1911 or a snub and never look back. I think most of us wood... in spite of the fact we’ll probably never need to buy defense ammo in nowhereland.

Its a great idea for a manufacturer when it makes something that uses proprietary anything - but they’d be out of luck getting my bucks. And I’d badmouth em to boot lol.

Historically, there has always been a design tradeoff between manufacturing tolerance and discharge reliability with some firearm applications. For military and some LE markets, the priority starts to lean more towards discharge reliability. For an older military issue design, you don’t want them jamming and misfiring in a combat situation. So the manufacturing tolerances are sometimes a little looser. This also translates into a more forgiving gun with variations in ammunition. The tradeoff can be a higher rate of accidental discharge. I was involved with some design litigation involving that priority balance in the 1980s with certain Combat Commander models that, IMO, were not the best choice for a safe civilian street carry.

Of course, for civilian specification and for many LE markets, it’s a tighter call, literally. And the tradeoff is that some models are less forgiving of some off-specification ammunition, and can be more prone to jams and misfires as a consequence.

A civilian personal defense firearm really needs to balance the two priorities more in favor against accidental discharges, as we are carrying them into crowded city streets, not combat zones. So some more marginal designs that would be more ammo-tolerant in a military issue can get a little persnickety in a tighter civilian build.

I suspect that the plastic Sigs are primarily a civilian market issue, unlike some of the other models that are/were primarily designed for LE and military applications, or have such versions. Practically speaking, my recommendation is that short of a time-proven LE carry design in a semi, the safest and most reliable choice in a personal defense handgun is a revolver model. Probably an obvious point for all the old timers.

Last edited:

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Just for funsies here is the ammo I'm taking with me to the range tomorrow...

L to R... Federal HST 150gr, S&B 115gr RN, CCI blazer brass 115gr, Federal HST 124gr, Speer Gold Dot 124gr, Remington Golden Saber 124gr +P, and Sig V-Crown 124gr.

Hi all,
So I'm slowly testing out ammo for my carry gun and wanted to ask what everyone prefers. I tired Sig V-Crown 124gr this last weekend and while the Stacatto-C likes them just fine the -P does not! I have 9mm Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Sabers, and Federal HSTs inbound all in the 124gr flavor for reliability testing. Anything I should give a whirl? None of these are +P or +P+ but I am not opposed nor am I set on the 124gr weight. What do ya'll like?
I like Speer Gold Dot 124gr, carry something that law enforcement carries. Just don't use any of that Zombie Killer ammo or anything stupid like that!! God forbid you had to defend yourself a Liberal Prosecutor or DA will have a field day with that ammo! If you are new to carrying please get a good carry insurance, Legal fees will ruin your life!

Just for funsies here is the ammo I'm taking with me to the range tomorrow...

L to R... Federal HST 150gr, S&B 115gr RN, CCI blazer brass 115gr, Federal HST 124gr, Speer Gold Dot 124gr, Remington Golden Saber 124gr +P, and Sig V-Crown 124gr.
Some good ammo there nikonNUT! Be safe and enjoy your day at the range!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I see what you’re saying, and it’s a great idea, but something about that rings, “poor form.” And we know it is poor form because why not then just advertise this fact? “Only works with our ammo.” “Works best with SIG ammo.” Whatever. You know what I mean. I mean useless ammo performance reflects poorly on a gun.

The fact is, I buy Glocks because they are pigs and eat just about anything reliably. I carry a 43 that has no more rounds than a snub and isn’t exactly a laser because I know it’s a pig and it’ll go bang. And if I’m in some po-dunk town, and I’m forced to buy ammo locally, I’m pretty confident it’ll go bang too.

If that ever changed, I’d pack a 1911 or a snub and never look back. I think most of us wood... in spite of the fact we’ll probably never need to buy defense ammo in nowhereland.

Its a great idea for a manufacturer when it makes something that uses proprietary anything - but they’d be out of luck getting my bucks. And I’d badmouth em to boot lol.

I concur. :)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I carry Federal HST 124gr in my HKs and my Sig P365.
The Federal HST has one of the largest diameter hollow point cavities of all manufactured HP brands. I always worry about using them with smaller pistols with small skinny feed ramps, because the large cavities of the bullet has been known to get hung up on small feed ramps.

Your post speaks very well of the P365's design & reliability if it feeds HST's well.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Had a blast at the range today! Learned an important lesson and that is that AIWB and running a gun hard results in roasted nuts but I digress... The results!

A note about the HST target. After running all 40 rounds of the 124gr I loaded up the 150gr sub-sonics I had and did a mag dump so a little more spread that I would like. All and all I think any of these three would do the job if the SHTF! Oh, the V-Crown? 3 FTFs in 20 rounds <sigh> I put that stuff away and did El Presidente's with S&B 115gr RN for 100 rounds.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I guess that I have been fortunate. None of my H&Ks or Rugers have ever hiccuped with any commercial ammo. I've only ben through a couple brands with the wife's new Sig but no issues so far with it either.

I often wonder if some of the guns that I read about having issues were purchased used and the original owner was just moving a problem down the road.

Top Bottom