What's new

Personal Defense Ammo?

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Hi all,
So I'm slowly testing out ammo for my carry gun and wanted to ask what everyone prefers. I tired Sig V-Crown 124gr this last weekend and while the Stacatto-C likes them just fine the -P does not! I have 9mm Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Sabers, and Federal HSTs inbound all in the 124gr flavor for reliability testing. Anything I should give a whirl? None of these are +P or +P+ but I am not opposed nor am I set on the 124gr weight. What do ya'll like?

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I like Gold Dot 124gr. Gold Dot is very reliable in weapons function and in bullet expansion. 115 is fast but is also really light, while 147 is great weight, I don’t want subsonic From a defensive pistol unless it’s a larger and heavier caliber. The 124 gr at 1100 FPS is a good middle for the 9mm. A little more knockdown then the 115 and a little more power than the 147.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I like Gold Dot 124gr. Gold Dot is very reliable in weapons function and in bullet expansion. 115 is fast but is also really light, while 147 is great weight, I don’t want subsonic From a defensive pistol unless it’s a larger and heavier caliber. The 124 gr at 1100 FPS is a good middle for the 9mm. A little more knockdown then the 115 and a little more power than the 147.
Great info! Thank you! Not sure why the Sig stuff is so balky but hoping it's just the "newness"? Lots a range time ahead which is always a plus! :)

Try pdx1s from what iv seen there the same as the black talon round that have been made illegal because of the coating but it’s a hollo point check them out

Whenever practicable I will carry Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. (9mm) and Speer Gold Dot 135 gr. (.38+p).
Reason being, this is the round carried by many law enforcement agencies (including the Sheriff's Dept. in my old home town). I figure that is a great explanation as to why I was carrying that particular ammunition if/when I'm ever asked...especially in court.

For me at the range, I plink with 115gr Winchester white box. For carry, JHP Hydrashoks in the heaviest weight they have. Otherwise I don't think on it too much. All my 9mm pistols love that ammo. I shoot A LOT.

Any that you can get to feed reliability. If you can't cycle 2 boxes without a feed problem move to something else.

Reliability is more important than velocity or weight.

Yup. Whatever runs the cleanest and shoots the best. Ammo can be like these razors and a case of the RAD. With rifles, it only gets more expensive and luxurious haha. I get mine sighted on the bench and on paper at 10 yards and after that, the steel targets come out and the wallet drains slowly😆.

Archery is a bit more forgiving than guns ammo wise on the pocket. I try not to lose 12 carbon arrows that cost 13 bucks apiece. I've been getting my hands dirty with sticks and strings lately myself, but this thread makes me want to go out and shoot. Love them both equally.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I agree with Mick. Use that which your weapons like. Reliability.
My weapon and I prefer Hornady Critical Defense

Concur re what your weapons like.

Did STI provide any guidance

I know that the USMS spec Staccato runs well on Hornady Critical Defense having shot 150 rounds with in it in a pistol that has 3500 rounds with no issues as well.

Any that you can get to feed reliability. If you can't cycle 2 boxes without a feed problem move to something else.

Reliability is more important than velocity or weight.
This, And it’s expensive to test reliability. One I heard from my LEO buddy to use gold dot, I bought a bunch For testing. One it worked flawlessly I called it good. I have never tried anything else as it would cost so much to switch. My rule is 100 in a row without failure.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
This, And it’s expensive to test reliability. One I heard from my LEO buddy to use gold dot, I bought a bunch For testing. One it worked flawlessly I called it good. I have never tried anything else as it would cost so much to switch. My rule is 100 in a row without failure.

I think that is why I use the Federals, I have never had an issue with one.

Top Bottom