What's new

Persona med prep overrated...

I just tried med prep blade,and first shave is little rough.Do not find it smooth at all,but got very good shave no nicks at all bbs.Tried persona labs and its probably same blade.Is it going to smooth out after first shave?

I just tried med prep blade,and first shave is little rough.Do not find it smooth at all,but got very good shave no nicks at all bbs.Tried persona labs and its probably same blade.Is it going to smooth out after first shave?
Usually, yes. These blades are "comfort coated" and that coating is put on a bit thick. The good news is that the blades smooth out and tend to last longer than average.

I got 99 of labs left....shouldve bought something else,while i got good shave,this blade is rough,and seems little dull too,will see next shave.

It should. If you like the Lab Blues, you should like the Med Preps because they are the same blade. The only difference is that the Meds go through an additional cleaning step to allow them to be approved for medical use.

Labs feel same....i bought 100 after just reading forums how good they are...supermax,voskod and astras feel way better.I tried personna platinum from Israel,and i like it better than these,actually feels way better.The labs and med preps just feel rough and not sharp.Maybe next shave is better ill see.Will also try them in milder razor.Astra ss ,supermax ss ,sp and voskod give me closest shaves without any irritation,and shave is very smooth,especially astra ss.Astra ss is almost half the price and in my opinion better buy.

Last edited:
Personna labs and med preps are top-tier for me! :a29:

These blades really shine after a shave or three (BBS for me today on day 4)! They get sharper then last a long while. But as we say, ‘YMMV,’ especially with blades!

Both labs and med preps have worked well for me. Very small sample size though with only about 6 shaves between them.

I think like @BigJ pointed out these blades get better after use but last a long time. Though that 1st shave being 'meh' can be off putting for some people.

Though I have had really good luck with the two blades, I am going to be trying out the Nacet's next. I don't really care about blade longevity as much: 3 shaves or so is good for me. What I would love to have is consistency over the shaves that I have. Sharpness is definitely important to me as I do have a course beard but I would rather like consistency over my shaves than sharpness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I shaved again with med prep,second shave,and is still very rough ,more rough than feather,and way less sharp.Will try it one more time...im dissapointed with this blade.

I shaved again with med prep,second shave,and is still very rough ,more rough than feather,and way less sharp.Will try it one more time...im dissapointed with this blade.
I have used 1 Lab Blue and 1 Med Prep across my Rockwell 6S, Blackland Blackbird and Timeless 0.95 for the last 7 shaves. None of them have been bad. In fact all of them have been good to really good.

Could just be that it is not a good fit for you? Or try about 3 shaves each with 2 blades from that batch and see if it could possibly be a bad blade? Shaving is definitely one those things where there is really not many universal truths. A specific blade not working for you does not mean it is a bad blade or that there is something wrong with you (technique/skin/etc). Just means it does not work for you.

So find something else that does.

The blade might be bad too,had that before with some other brands,some are excellent and then once in a while you get completely different blade.This med prep just feels rough and not sharp enough,feather seems way smoother than this ,and much sharper.Have seen that pple on forums praise personnas,but i didnt have impressive results with it,especially with med prep.Persona platinum was pretty good,smoother and sharper than this....Had 2 shaves with med prep and it just sucks,very rough shave and could be closer,some razor burn too,my technique is pretty good,i get good to excellent shaves even with feather now,no cuts at all.Tried lab blue couple times,and felt little better than this,closer shave,but still rough.Blue personna feels pretty good on my face,while prep and lab
Suck i guess,will try lab one more time.Too bad i bought pack of 100.

People on forums write how smooth personna lab blue or med prep is....still havent experienced it yet.I find personna platinum much smoother and sharper and better blade overall.Nacet feels smoother and sharper than this.Maybe i got couple of lemons...will try out different blade from same stash ...

I shaved today,was 3rd shave with it,and in milder razor,and yes,little smoother and seem lot sharper,got pretty good to excellent shave,no cuts at all.Maybe milder razor works better for me with these ones.
Based on my understanding these blades get sharper with the 2nd use. So potentially start with a medium to mid-aggressive razor on the 1st shave and then switch to a milder razor.

Find a happy medium for you and go from there. Most of us can give you suggestions based on how things work for us but there is really no one-size fits all.

I get better shaves with voskod,supermax,astra,dorco,will gift these blades to one of my friends.I dont need 2,3 rough shaves untill it gets better,even now doesnt compare to these blades that i like.Just dont enjoy shaving with it.I like to throw away a blade after 3,4 shaves ,longevity is not object here.

Ill get 100 more voskods,excellent blade for my skin.Am getting 4,5 bbs shaves from it every time.Dorco stp platinum are bargain cheap ,and theyre very smooth and sharp.

Razor Blades. You either love em, hate em, or they're just fine and nothing special. And no one agrees. The Meds have not worked for me. But to me and my face, blades perform differently in different razors.

To put this another way. Razor Blades. The cheapest part of the DE shave adventure.

I get better shaves with voskod,supermax,astra,dorco,will gift these blades to one of my friends.I dont need 2,3 rough shaves untill it gets better,even now doesnt compare to these blades that i like.Just dont enjoy shaving with it.I like to throw away a blade after 3,4 shaves ,longevity is not object here.

I have a big variety of blades on hand, but the Med Prep is one of several favorites.

It's not really necessary to trash blades that did not work well for you. People are different. Just be glad you've found some blades you like at a good price.

Top Bottom