What's new

Persian Jar 2?

I have a Simpson’s Persian Jar 2 in Best that needs a repair. The thing is 10 years old, has always shed too much, and at this point is kinda tired. I’d like to use the handle, any suggestions on how to proceed? I’ve never worked on a brush before- open to suggestions. Thanks!

You can drill or try to steam out the knot. There's a lot of good tutorials here and on youtube about how to drill/steam out the knot, not a lot to it really, just patience and some elbow grease (depending on method). What size is the knot in there now - lots of options on where you can find a badger or synthetic replacement. Any plan on what type of knot you'll put back in? It's possible you may have to bore down a little more or use some spacers to adjust the loft to your preference, but that's not terribly difficult either.

I've damaged handles steaming the knots out more often than I've salvaged knots doing it.

I'd just drill it since the knot's a shedder you want to get rid of anyway.

Get a 22 mm knot or a 24 mm if you're willing to open it up a little (may lose a mm or two of height).

Drilling out is pretty easy with a drill press, Start at like a 1/8" bit and expand until the knot fails and breaks apart (first few bits will mostly be burning and ripping hair out, you'll need a good clamping set up of just hold the brush real tight in a work-gloved hand).

I got rid of my drill press years ago, and doing it with a drill/dremel freehand is definitely doable (done it dozens of times), but also definitely more work and more challenging.

Once the knot is out use a coarse sanding drum and/or stone to clean out the shelf, remove the last of the hair/glue/etc.

Always take all possible safety measures and precautions.

I've damaged handles steaming the knots out more often than I've salvaged knots doing it.

I'd just drill it since the knot's a shedder you want to get rid of anyway.

Get a 22 mm knot or a 24 mm if you're willing to open it up a little (may lose a mm or two of height).

Drilling out is pretty easy with a drill press, Start at like a 1/8" bit and expand until the knot fails and breaks apart (first few bits will mostly be burning and ripping hair out, you'll need a good clamping set up of just hold the brush real tight in a work-gloved hand).

I got rid of my drill press years ago, and doing it with a drill/dremel freehand is definitely doable (done it dozens of times), but also definitely more work and more challenging.

Once the knot is out use a coarse sanding drum and/or stone to clean out the shelf, remove the last of the hair/glue/etc.

Always take all possible safety measures and precautions.
Thank you. I’m pretty good with tools, though I lack access to a drill press. Sounds like fun. Will report back.

You can drill or try to steam out the knot. There's a lot of good tutorials here and on youtube about how to drill/steam out the knot, not a lot to it really, just patience and some elbow grease (depending on method). What size is the knot in there now - lots of options on where you can find a badger or synthetic replacement. Any plan on what type of knot you'll put back in? It's possible you may have to bore down a little more or use some spacers to adjust the loft to your preference, but that's not terribly difficult either.
Thank you. No real plan on the knot replacement, but leaning towards another badger- I think boar would be a little odd in that handle.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Sounds like a nice little project. Don’t forget photos before and after when you report back.

It really isn't difficult without a drill press. I've done many. I learned from a tutorial here. Start by cutting down the knot as close the the handle as practical. It will take several cuts with scissors and/or razor blade. Then using a fairly small drill bit (about 1/8") in a hand held power drill and drill into the remainder of the knot. You need to break up the base disc of the knot. Make swiss cheese out of it. When broken up enough you can mostly finish the rest with an awl and/or long nose pliers. When you have removed all you can that way, finish cleaning the hole with a drum sander on a Dremel type tool. You can use the drum sander to open up the hole for a larger knot too if you want.

Top Bottom