Perseid meteors - who saw?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors!' started by Ad Astra, Aug 13, 2019 at 4:47 AM.

1. Ad Astra

Ad Astra Ambassador

Meteor shower peaked this morning.

Perseids - Wikipedia

Though "almost full moon interferes," there was a window of viewing, just before dawn.

I saw one the other morning, a real scorcher with a train.

Today I gave it a few minutes and was rewarded: a green-white one with a bright flare! Then, a satellite went zipping through the radiant point. Pretty neat.

But numbers, no. No storm.

Who saw, and how many?

AA

2. Ad Astra

Ad Astra Ambassador

Crickets! :a17: No night owls? No science types?

AA

3. Graydog

Graydog Contributor

I was up and it was raining at my house so no chance of seeing anything:(

4. Age, fatigue, and an aversion to mosquito bites take their toll.

5. Was raining here too. My brother drove a couple hours out of the city to photograph them. I’ll see if he has any pics I can share.

6. Ad Astra

Ad Astra Ambassador

Ah! Finally. Thanks.

No, a light haze set in and the delicate touch of disease-carrying mosquitos bade me make it short.

Still; glad I saw a few. November and December's shooting-stars are less uncomfortable - and there's always hope of a meteor storm ... dozens or hundreds per hour - which I have seen - and always trying to see again.

AA

7. ackvil

ackvil Moderator

I spent 20 minutes searching for the show - but it was a no-show!

8. Toothpick

Toothpick Moderator

No chance here. Went to bed bout 10pm and rolled out of bed about 9am. I did see a shooting star yesterday on the way to work around 4:45am. Maybe that was the start of the shower!

9. We had a bit of rain last night.
    I was spoiled by the Leonids in 2002(?).
    What a show that was. I even saw a bright and persistent trail through some light cloud cover just before sunrise.

10. The showers peak often on the 13th, but the debris field is larger. I watched last week and saw many. Last week, the moon was not as bright and the night was clear.

11. Ad Astra

Ad Astra Ambassador

Saw another one this morning - after giving up! Funny.

No meteor storm this year ...

Practicing astronomy has gotten more hazardous on my street with a number of nuisance bears - two dogs killed so far. In the pitch-dark, have to watch your immediate surroundings carefully as well as those light-years away ...

AA

12. I ALWAYS miss it!

One of these years I'll be up on the 6 meter band and get to properly enjoy it.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

13. I have never seen a storm, so like RandyC, so yes, I always MISS "it". So I must remain content with many, id est a dozen over an hour+ .

I think the real reason to watch, is just to go outside and enjoy

14. He took this picture earlier. I think before the peak so you can see a few but not many.

2B2C475E-0C73-441B-8172-2442B385BBD6.jpeg

15. I did go out Monday night around 2300 until 0230 and the sky was clear and the moon was pretty bright so I was wearing a wide brim hat to block off the moonlight. Temperature was in the mid 80s and I was wearing jeans, t-shirt and light rain jacket wind breaker to ward off mosquitos. Interestingly there was a slight breeze and that was keeping the mosquitos away as I wasn't bothered by them at all. I did see quite a bit although I did doze off and on while I was out there. LOL. All in all I enjoyed myself and I had a good night. I need to do that more often.

Mike