What's new

Perma-Sharp Super - A Review

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Overall, the price is right but the performance is not stellar for me. They are a good blade for the money and maybe great for you. For me, the PolSiver is a better blade.

It depends which razor you have them in.

In my Fatip Grande Polsilver is the better blade, but in my 1940 Gillette Regent, Perma-Sharp is Nirvana.

Nice review! I enjoy using the 7OC greens and picked up a tuck of the PS blades at Pasteur. I am running through a tuck of GSBs and so far I like them. Heard a good deal of praise for PSs and wanted to try them too. I hope my experience with them is positive. We shall see. I want to try all the Gillette blades from Russia and so far they have all been good except for Polsilver. I only had one blade and was not impressed but will give them another shot. I have a ton of blades and always like trying others.

Had my first run with the PS in my Slim. Rough out of the gate and to me wicked sharp. Had to dial it down to a 3 for my two pass shave. Had a darn fine shave but it was still rough. Will see tomorrow. I found the 7OC Yellow Russian smoothes out after a few strokes but they appear in the Slim to be fairly closely related. I may pop it in my SS and see how it goes. Clearly, the Green is the less sharp of the three and is a smooth blade. Only drawback is the tablespoon of glop on them. I also like Nacet in the Slim. Some razors are blade fussy for me too. What was great in my 34 C is horrible in my other razors. The joys of research makes it all worthwhile.

Had my first run with the PS in my Slim. Rough out of the gate and to me wicked sharp. Had to dial it down to a 3 for my two pass shave. Had a darn fine shave but it was still rough. Will see tomorrow. I found the 7OC Yellow Russian smoothes out after a few strokes but they appear in the Slim to be fairly closely related. I may pop it in my SS and see how it goes. Clearly, the Green is the less sharp of the three and is a smooth blade. Only drawback is the tablespoon of glop on them. I also like Nacet in the Slim. Some razors are blade fussy for me too. What was great in my 34 C is horrible in my other razors. The joys of research makes it all worthwhile.
Much smoother was my second and consecutive shaves.
As always YMMV

I tried a new PS in a different razor and got the same results as the other two blade uses. They're just not ideal for me and unfortunately as disappointing as GSBs.

I really like this blade. Today’s shave delivered a BBS with no trouble, not even a weeper. It lacks some of the GSB smoothness (only a very little) but is even sharper imho and does not require any fussing about with. In short it works very well and is now in my top 5 - probably at 1 or 2 at the moment. Good!

Going to try one for today's shave. So far I've tried Astra SP's, Gillette Greens & Polsilver's, all fantastic BBS shave's with them. The Polsilver is my favorite so I have high hopes the Perma sharp is right up there. The boys from St Petersburg really do seem to deliver top notch blades.

Perma Sharp is the best choice for all aggressive razors like Fatip oc and r41 - it is not so sharp as the Polsilvers, but much much nicer and smoother for me.

Shave 2 with one in my Super Speed. Sublime. First shave with these is a tad rough but settles in nicely. I have used these in my Slim also with sublime results. This is one of a few blades that delivers the goods in both my Slim and now my Super Speed. If this blade goes the week, it's top tier along with 7OCLOCK yellows for me. The first few passes with PS is similar to Voskhod in how it smoothes out. Next trip to Pasteur and I will get some more yellows to see. Only have one or two left in my stash. Blades are so personal. What works for me does not work for you and vice versa. The fun is trying every blade I can. Years ago when I started shaving, it was Gillette, Schick and Personna along with Wilks. At least in my Uncle's stores. Now, we have more choices than ever before. Thanks to the web, the world has become a global barber shop. Yay for us!

Just bought 100 of these -- they're sharp, they're smooth, they're irritation-free, and they leave a great post-shave feel. What more is there???

are the permasharp generaly good blades? its the 4th blade i was trying out on my new fine marvel razor and had no luck with the others( shark super stainless, polsilver, ladas) which gave some pulling, cuts and irratation and the permasharp were the ones. its sharp and sooo smooth. gave me one of best shaves. so close and comfortable. just asking cuz the sharks worked so well in my merkur 23 but not so well in the new fine marvel. il try it again later but the permasharp are so dam smooth and sharp.

I think you'll find that the Permasharp yields a closer second and probably third shave than the first. This is not atypical for coated blades but I find it especially true of the Permasharp. It's been my go to blade for the last year or so (though the BIC is giving it some competition right now).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I've heard so many good things about Permasharp blades. Reading your response makes me want to try one of the 100 Bics I ordered as well. First few were a bit rough on my face but maybe it's time to put them in a less aggressive razor like my tech or Edwin Jagger 89.

I've heard so many good things about Permasharp blades. Reading your response makes me want to try one of the 100 Bics I ordered as well. First few were a bit rough on my face but maybe it's time to put them in a less aggressive razor like my tech or Edwin Jagger 89.
A lot of folks have problems with the BIC. Can't explain why but they seem a love or hate em blade

I have been using a de razor for 6 years or there abouts. I have about 15 razors and have tried dozens of blades and uncountable amounts of combos. I have been having so so shaves lately which is odd given how long I have been shaving in this fashion. Funny how that goes. I put a perma-Sharp in my Rockwell 6s with the 4 plate yesterday and the shave was spectacular. The best combo I have used to date. I had my second shave today and similar results. So smooth but so sharp. No tugging no pulling no irritation and my face feels fantastic. It’s still the same blade, so I can’t say for certain yet that there is any consistancy, but I have another shave left on this blade then another single blade to try. I hope it continues to be this fantastic. Love this combo.

I think you'll find that the Permasharp yields a closer second and probably third shave than the first. This is not atypical for coated blades but I find it especially true of the Permasharp. It's been my go to blade for the last year or so (though the BIC is giving it some competition right now).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
You are sure right about the difference between the first and second shave. Man this blade gets sharp by shave two. I'm curious how you think this compares to the BIC which is also an extremely sharp blade after the first shave. Is it smooth as well as sharp? Is the quality consistent? I heard so many mixed reviews about the BIC. Same with the Permasharp, probably due to the significant change in sharpness from the 1st to 2nd shave as the coating wears.

Top Bottom