What's new

Perma-Sharp Super - A Review

I tried these PermaSharps and absolutely didn't like them. They irritated my skin. Horrible after shave feeling. Maybe they are too sharp. I don't like Fathers too.

But I like Voskhods and Polsilvers.

Astra SP was the first DE blade I tried when I came back to using DE razors again in I think, April of this year. It was nice and sharp, smooth enough and priced right, but I havent gone back to it since that first use. Perhaps I should.

The Gillette Black I really didnt like on first use, but liked it quite a lot on second use with a steeper angle. Smooth and sharp enough, but the BBS finish didnt last and the sharpness fell off quickly for me.

Polsilver is a great blade. If you like them, you'll like these, at around half the cost!

SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium

$14.99/200 I believe: Super-Max Super Blue Diamond TITANIUM
Can
anyone that has ordered the Supermax Blue Diamond Titanium from Connaught shaving recently know what was the manufacturing date?
I got a pack of 10 a while back with a manufacture date of 2011 from ebay and I like them quite a bit, just ordered 100 pack from Connaught shaving, hopefully they were from the same batch.
I may have to try Permasharp next from reading all the positive reviews .

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Fathers :D I mean Feathers :D

I have 200 Feather and around 150 Polsilver left. Maybe 7 Voskhod left.

I dont mind a Feather blade now and then, but from now on only two shaves and done with it. I wont buy them again, too expensive to toss after two shaves.

Voskhod I like, but I like Perma-Sharp better. Maybe try a different angle, that might help.

Can
anyone that has ordered the Supermax Blue Diamond Titanium from Connaught shaving recently know what was the manufacturing date?

I havent ordered any at all. The tuck I have was given to me by another member on the forum so I cant help. Someone likely can though.

Last edited:
Esox
What about Polsilver how do you rate and compare them to Voskhod and Perma
?
1.polsilver
2. Perma
3.Voskhod
???
Curious

Thanks
I have 200 Feather and around 150 Polsilver left. Maybe 7 Voskhod left.

I dont mind a Feather blade now and then, but from now on only two shaves and done with it. I wont buy them again, too expensive to toss after two shaves.

Voskhod I like, but I like Perma-Sharp better. Maybe try a different angle, that might help.

I havent ordered any at all. The tuck I have was given to me by another member on the forum so I cant help. Someone likely can though.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Esox
What about Polsilver how do you rate and compare them to Voskhod and Perma
?
1.polsilver
2. Perma
3.Voskhod

Polsilver sharper than both, but both smoother than Polsilver. Not by a lot but they are for me.

I'm really liking Perma-Sharp Super and think Voskhod very much the same, but they irritate me the second and third shaves, then smooth out again.

In my razors;

Gillette NEW SC - Top three are Polsilver and Blue Diamond Titanium tied at first. Perma Sharp, Derby extra.

Gillette Regent - Perma Sharp is the only blade that goes in that razor now, but I'll use Derby Extra if I run out before ordering more.

Gillette post war Tech - Gillette Yellow is #1, followed by Feather, Polsilver in third.

Fatip Grande - So far, Derby Extra is the clear winner, but I've only tried 5 blades in it I think.

There are only a few blades I dont like. Trig, Treet, Shark Super Chrome and Bic Chrome Platinum. The last two "Chrome" blades made me itch.

Yes maybe or another razor :). Although I am thinking that I like more blades with some kind of teflon etc coating more than only stainless steel.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yes maybe or another razor :). Although I am thinking that I like more blades with some kind of teflon etc coating more than only stainless steel.

I've only found a single blade that worked in all my razors, with the exception of my Tech, Derby Extra, but I havent used one in my Tech, and maybe Perma-Sharp...

If I see Teflon or PTFE in the blade description, I'm pretty sure I'll like it too.

I've only found a single blade that worked in all my razors, with the exception of my Tech, Derby Extra, but I havent used one in my Tech, and maybe Perma-Sharp...

If I see Teflon or PTFE in the blade description, I'm pretty sure I'll like it too.

Derby Extra is my trusted workhorse too :a24:

I took your recommendation and gave these a shot:

Rockwell 6S Plate 3: Too sharp. This razor gives me a great BBS shave using the more forgiving blades like Rapira Platinum Lux. Perma-Sharp was just a little bit too sharp for this one; very close shave but more irritation than I can stand on a daily basis.

Feather AS-D2: Very nice indeed. This blades definitely likes a more acute blade angle which makes a lot of sense; close cutting angle rather than scraping action is better suited to a sharper blade. I'd never really had great success with the Feather AS-D2 because I found some blades too sharp and other not sharp enough, both situations resulting in greater irritation. The Perma-sharp Super seems to strike that balance quite well resulting in a three-pass DFS with very low irritation on first use. Looking forward to tomorrow. :)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Feather AS-D2

Rigid design.

Rockwell 6S

Less rigid design.

I think what you're discovering is the difference between the razors. This blade not being quite as sharp, in a less rigid design it can flex and dig in and skip giving the feeling that its too sharp. A sharper blade may actually appear smoother in a less rigid design, because the blade wont flex as much when it contacts the stubble. Which is why I believe Feather blades are so popular.

In a more rigid design like the AS-D2, its less likely to flex and skip, resulting in a smoother shave.

The Rapira PL blade I liked too. It is very smooth, and IIRC only lacked a bit of sharpness for me. It may be a good choice in my Fatip.

I find Perma Sharp wonderfully smooth and sharp enough, but more so in my Gillette Regent. Thats a rigid design, and has blade exposure, but I shave with that razor at a steeper angle, it tugs at a shallow angle. This is the only blade that goes in that razor now and its a solid 2 - 2 1/2 pass shave every time.

In my Fatip thats a very rigid design, and my NEW SC thats also a very rigid design, but has more gap, I found the sharpness lacking. Two full passes and 2 clean ups with this blade. Thats one extra clean up pass and it tugged on my first pass in both the Fatip and NEW SC.

Shave #3.

Roughly 48 hours since last shave.

I had to try a Perma-Sharp Super before I ordered 100, so today was that day. I was given these blades by md1234 along with several other types.

You'll notice the SuperMax Blue Diamond taunting me from the bleachers. It has a single shave on it in my Regent and it really wants to go in the Grande, just not yet. Wait your turn!

View attachment 824549

I've been looking forward to this blade as it is, so far, the best blade in my Regent. Using it in the Regent is like using a Derby Extra in this Grande. Sharp, smooth and amazing. Those two razor and blade combinations are really shaving nirvana for me and I've asked myself why I bother looking for better. Well maybe, just maybe, there is a better shave out there waiting for me to find it. Or maybe, BOSC? I dont know, but the quest continues. I believe this Grande to have more in it, I just need to find it.

Sorry to say, the Perma-Sharp is staying where it belongs, in my Regent.

Its sharper than the Gillette Green of last shave, but still tugged a little on my first WTG/XTG pass. Its considerably smoother than the Green in this razor as well, but still a bit harsh ATG over my neck.

Simple 2 pass+ shave and a nice BBS but I did have some light irritation on my two trouble spots but only one tiny weeper left side of my mouth. Again, I didnt stretch enough and with this razor, much like my NEW SC, "The Planer Effect" comes into play and it neatly planes off any high spots like a sharp planer blade over a soft knot in Pine.

My entire second pass was a buffing pass ATG and XTG, and if I couldnt hear and only just slightly felt if I paid attention, to the stubble being cut, I would have sworn there was no blade in the razor, buffing was that smooth.

I didnt need the extra buffing pass over my neck but BBS Rules! For that BBS finish I did pay a small price with the irritation but since I have the sample of Captain's Choice Sandalwood AS Balm The Captain himself sent me, I thought it was the perfect time.

I've havent used any AS products since the early 1980's as I havent really felt the need, but I will say as soon as I applied that balm to my neck my skin cooled in seconds. It was still slightly red, but not warm and that redness was gone in minutes.

The Sandalwood scent is very nice. Soft, rich, deep and lingers nicely.

The 100 fold buy of these blades is on hold for the time being. I still have 4 of the 5 blade tuck and as the one I used in my Regent went well past a dozen shaves, that razor and blade combination is good for a while.

The more blades I try in this Grande, the more I'm amazed by the performance of Derby Extra. I knew it was a nice blade, but I never knew it was this nice. I'm glad I have 200 of them, and more may be in order.

Next up, as Rave suggested, GSB! A blade I found very smooth again and only slightly lacking sharpness in my NEW SC. I have high hopes, but I did for the Green and the Perma-Sharp too.

After the GSB its anyones guess. If that shave goes well, as nice as Derby Extra or better, it will stay in that razor until the shaves deteriorate. If not, maybe a Gillette Black, Polsilver, Blue Diamond Titanium or I dont know...

I've now gone to a single ATG pass with my Fatip, and this blade wasnt up to that shave. Still King of the Hill in my Regent though and I very much doubt any blade will better it.

I do have a lot more blades to test, but thats on the back burner until I sort this Fatip out with a single ATG pass and narrow my blade choices.

I hear you, but I have a different experience with the Timeless .68 SB. The Timeless has a modern design but still holds the edge quite rigid, where the Rockwell doesn't, but they both seem to like the same blades, i.e., the more forgiving ones like RPL and Voskhod. AS-D2 likes sharper blades such as Perma-Sharp Super and Feather.

This seems to me clear evidence that rigidity isn't the only factor. The more I learn the less clear the picture becomes, but presently it seems blade angle is the common factor. Rockwell and Timeless both have a more obtuse angle, where Feather and a couple of other vintage Gillette's do their best work with a more accurate angle and a light touch. Scraping versus cutting?

I'm unconvinced by your conclusion, but equally unclear about my own. There are far too many variables to solve it with such a limited set of evidence. It's like a 10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle which you have 15 pieces of... Can you see the full picture? I certainly can't. :001_07:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm unconvinced by your conclusion, but equally unclear about my own.

I'm unconvinced of my own conclusion too lol. The only thing I am convinced of, is what works for me. Only the person holding the razor can justify that as fact.

One other thing I'm curious about recently is I seem to be getting along better with less to no gap. While the Timeless is a rigid design, it also has a considerable gap. My NEW SC also has gap and I'm finding my Fatip a more comfortable shave.

I went into that in some detail in my journal.

Irritation is something that I've always battled because I think, I have sensitive skin. I can get irritation from either dull blades and needing to apply more pressure forcing them to cut more effectively, or from sharp blades that just shave me too close. The latter however being a weakness in technique more than anything, or perhaps, a side effect of a sharp blade combined with gap in a razors design.

One thing I've noticed is, this Grande is a more comfortable razor for me to use than my NEW SC. As much as I do like that razor, its very rigid and a very good design, I'm learning that I dont like the gap it has and I'm beginning to think I really dont like any gap.

Its my thinking that with the gap my NEW SC has, the wave of skin ahead of the blade, for lack of a better term, can get slightly pinched between the comb and the blade, essentially forcing that tiny amount of skin against the blade edge increasing friction on my skin. Think of a Gillette adjustable and turning the dial up. That adjusts the gap, and makes the razor more aggressive while at the same time, making that pinch point larger to cut a broader area more aggressively.

That also may be one reason why the NEW SC is so effective. That very slight pinch is helping to force the hairs too be cut. This is why I learned with that razor that 2 1/2 pass shaves were good, 3 passes still being okay. The more passes I'd use, the more irritation I would end up with because it would accumulate with the number of extra passes. With my NEW SC, smoothness of a blade was more important than sharpness of a blade.

The Fatip razors, being an extremely rigid design with no gap whatsoever to speak of give me a more comfortable shave because theres less friction against my skin. As long as I get the angle right, with a sharp blade, the stubble has no escape. The razor cant skip because of the rigidity, and with a sharp blade, the stubble cant bend or flex. Combined with the exposure, these razors are the ultimate in efficiency in my mind. I just need a sharp blade to cut my coarse dense growth as easily as possible, and at the same time I appreciate the smoothness from certain blades.

Perhaps one day when we all achieve our own personal "perfect shave", we'll finally see the bigger picture.

The pieces to that puzzle are coming together quickly for me.

Can
I got a pack of 10 a while back with a manufacture date of 2011 from ebay and I like them quite a bit, just ordered 100 pack from Connaught shaving, hopefully they were from the same batch.
I may have to try Permasharp next from reading all the positive reviews .

I just received my order of 200 Supermax Blue Diamond Titanium from Connaught.
Manufacture date is 07/11 on all 20 tucks

One other thing I'm curious about recently is I seem to be getting along better with less to no gap. While the Timeless is a rigid design, it also has a considerable gap.

And this is the only major different between the Rockwell and Timeless that I can discern. Agree on that point, beyond rigidity. I reckon this contributes to the ability be be carefree with the Rockwell.

Wanted to like the PermaSharp since I first tried it, the way that I like a lot of Russian Gillette blades. In the razors I've used them in, I got an OK shave.
This morning, I tried it in my Ming Shi 2000S....
And got a great smooth DFS. Sometimes it's about the right fit with the right tool. Didn't even think about adjustments, just had it on 3 1/2 and it did the job.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Ordered 100 permasharp for 16.16 Canadian dollars (around 12.50 USD) on Amazon.ca
---
Looks like a bargain.
---
Hope they are not fake.

I am using one now in my Slim. I ordered 100 some time ago.

Today:

proxy.php

I recently received the Perma Sharp blades from Amazon.ca - they do not appear to be fake. They "feel" sharper than an Astra SP but really aren't - they do not shave as close as I can feel stubble emergence much earlier. Of the two Perma Sharp blades I've used so far, they seem to produce a tiny cut in the same place on my face; I don't have this type of problem with other sharp blades. The inner packaging is a little sub par as the wax paper tears as I peel it back; this isn't a problem with other PPI blades. Overall, the price is right but the performance is not stellar for me. They are a good blade for the money and maybe great for you. For me, the PolSiver is a better blade.

Top Bottom