What's new

Perma-Sharp (not marked Super)

Hi all.
Anyone come across these blades? I wondered how they compare to the Super's.
I got some in the UK recently & whilst advertised as Perma-Sharp Super they are packaged as below:

20190210_090042.jpg

That looks like new production of the same Permasharp blade @Macduff just tested and found unpleasantly harsh. Laser etched lettering on the blade.

Have to get a couple of those to him and see if they're different. I wouldn't expect them to be, because I don't recall that the Astras changed much when they switched, but one just never knows.

That looks like new production of the same Permasharp blade @Macduff just tested and found unpleasantly harsh. Laser etched lettering on the blade.

Have to get a couple of those to him and see if they're different. I wouldn't expect them to be, because I don't recall that the Astras changed much when they switched, but one just never knows.

I think i may have reviewed the older one. The lettering on the one i used was different. I purchased mine from tryablade so i’m thinking he probably still has the older stock. Didn’t care for it but i think people who like sharp blades would probably like it.

I found these blades a bit rough.
They left me with slight irritation which I haven't had for years DE shaving.

I am not familiar with this blade perhaps new packaging? My shave today was with the Permasharp Stainless & I got a very close & smooth shave with it. Medium beard type though.

I just bought 1,000 of these on a lark from an Ebay seller because the price was right and I figured it was worth the risk based on his feedback. His pictures on Ebay actually showed the old "Perma-Sharp Super" packaging, but I got what zygalski shows above. I shaved with one this morning, and I'm convinced it's the real thing, just with cheaper packaging (no longer double wrapped, two wax dots on each side instead of four, etc.). I guess we'll see over the next few days about longevity, but if someone went to the trouble of making a counterfeit that matches the legendary Perma-Sharp on the first shave, I can't imagine it being inferior in any other respect. I own thousands of the "old" PPI Perma-Sharps and have been shaving with them pretty much exclusively for eight or nine years now - these new ones are the real thing.

Let us know how many shaves per blade you get? I get 12 shaves per blade.

Will do. I always toss them after 7 shaves because it's easiest to remember to do it on the same day of the week, but they could probably go a couple more and I have very coarse hair (I know almost everyone thinks they have coarse hair, but several barbers have told me I do.)

Last edited:
I just bought 1,000 of these on a lark from an Ebay seller because the price was right and I figured it was worth the risk based on his feedback. His pictures on Ebay actually showed the old "Perma-Sharp Super" packaging, but I got what zygalski shows above. I shaved with one this morning, and I'm convinced it's the real thing, just with cheaper packaging (no longer double wrapped, two wax dots on each side instead of four, etc.). I guess we'll see over the next few days about longevity, but if someone went to the trouble of making a counterfeit that matches the legendary Perma-Sharp on the first shave, I can't imagine it being inferior in any other respect. I own thousands of the "old" PPI Perma-Sharps and have been shaving with them pretty much exclusively for eight or nine years now - these new ones are the real thing.
Paul from Connaught Shaving said they're the same blade.
The ones marked 'Super' and double wrapped are simply the old stock.

Let us know how many shaves per blade you get? I get 12 shaves per blade.

Just finished shave #6 this morning and still going strong. I'll probably toss it after shave #7 tomorrow like I always do, but there's no doubt in my mind that the current production Perma-Sharp is the same premium blade PPI has been cranking out for years.

Top Bottom