What's new

Performance differences in shavemac knots

So in looking at the various shavemac knots that they have available I am interested in the two band knots in silvertip and Do-1. I read their description of the knots on the website but I am interested in is the performance between the two.

Is there anyone that has used both in the size range of 24-26 that can comment on how each performs differently from the other in actual use? Are their any difference in how each builds and holds lather? Is one better at bowl lathering than another? I see the two big differences in the two is that the Do-1 has more backbone and scritch, Do I have that right?

I’ll be interested in the responses you get. I don’t need another brush, but if I got one, Shavemac would be in the running.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
No one else that might have tried both knots?
Sorry, this has completely slipped by me...
The Shavemac two-band silvertip and the two-band silvertip D01 are two different animals.
The D01 hair has a much thicker stem and it is more densely packed compared to the two-band silvertip.
Backbone is huge, as Jim here once said "you can jack up your car with the D01" - I think this gives you a very good idea.
I always say the D01 two-band is not for the faint hearted. It is quite stiff and has scrub, but it is in no way prickly, scritchy or such. It is an acquired taste. Most of my customer who decide on this knot know what to expect and they love this grade.
The Simpson Manchurian is a bit similar to the D01, but not as thick in the hair than the D01 and less densely packed.

The two-band Silvertip is a superb hair grade, I call it the "beesknees" in badger knots. Just a perfect knot with a good, but not too much, backbone and very soft tips. I sell most of my brushes with this knot and everyone loves it.

Thanks Rudy. This stemmed from my conversation with you about a new brush. Was hoping for some guys that might have used both to give me the two cent rundown on my performance questions.

Top Bottom