What's new

Performance Differences Between EJ DE89 and Merkur 34(c)?

I just purchased the EJ DE89L recently... and really like it. But, was also was recommended the Merkur 34c as an option or alternate razor. Have sensitive skin especially around the chin, upper and lower lip area, which is one of the reasons I chose the EJ. My objective is to find a DE that will offer a close clean shave for sensitive skin.

Would appreciate feedback from those who have used both razors regarding their performance differences.

Thanks.

:shaving:

I love the EJ89, one of the best DE razors IMO. While the Merkur is nice, everything about the EJ is just better.

This does not answer your question but....... If you have the opportunity to pick up an older Gillette super adjustable you may find that it will work out well for you. It is a very mild razor when dialed back but can come out munching when cranked up. The super adjustable on 9 (max) is milder than a Futur on 1 (lowest) and when the SA is down at 1 (lowest) it is the mildest razor you will ever use..... but it does have a wide range of mild to choose from. It has the same blade gap as a EJ89 when it is set around 4 or 5. You can dial it down to 1 for your sensitive areas and up for your heavy growth areas

I've owned both, and I prefer the Merkur HD. I prefer more efficient/aggressive razors. It took 3 passes with the EJ to get me where the HD will with 2 passes.
The plating on the EJ is nicer and the EJ is a nicer looking razor than the EJ. For me it's all about performance though. People with really sensitive skin tend to like the EJ to the HD.

The 89 is finshed far better, but the balance on an HD is perfect- it just seems to move on it's own.
There is no harm in having both, or get a 1904 and use the handle from that to go with the head of the Muhle.

The 89 is finshed far better, but the balance on an HD is perfect- it just seems to move on it's own.

+1 I like the feel of the shorter handle on the hd. That being said I use my r89 much more because it's just hard not to pick it up. One beautiful razor. Specially when it's sitting next to r41

Both are excellant razors. I opt for the EJ but I can easily see how someone would prefer the HD. Guess it is just a subjective call on your part.

I just purchased the EJ DE89L recently... and really like it. But, was also was recommended the Merkur 34c as an option or alternate razor. Have sensitive skin especially around the chin, upper and lower lip area, which is one of the reasons I chose the EJ. My objective is to find a DE that will offer a close clean shave for sensitive skin.

Would appreciate feedback from those who have used both razors regarding their performance differences.

Thanks.

:shaving:

Thanks for the time, input and share of your experience. Much appreciated.

This does not answer your question but....... If you have the opportunity to pick up an older Gillette super adjustable you may find that it will work out well for you. It is a very mild razor when dialed back but can come out munching when cranked up. The super adjustable on 9 (max) is milder than a Futur on 1 (lowest) and when the SA is down at 1 (lowest) it is the mildest razor you will ever use..... but it does have a wide range of mild to choose from. It has the same blade gap as a EJ89 when it is set around 4 or 5. You can dial it down to 1 for your sensitive areas and up for your heavy growth areas

Have the slim SA, the Tech and Super Speed. Had been using the SA at 2 until I shaved off the goatee and then found it suddenly to be clumsy feeling and/ or heavy handed when it came to working the chin, above and below the mouth. Moved back to the Super Speed and Tech... but then wanted to explore the possibility of getting a closer shave for the sensitive areas which the SS will do in 3 passes. Now seeing if I can achieve that with the EJ89 and the Feather AS (which I really like as I get the hang of its sweet spot.) But, it never dawned on me to switch settings for the different areas on the face... Thanks, Turtle...

Top Bottom