What's new

Perfect Plastic Putty for Bakelite?

Has anybody ever used this:

1589349369375.png

To fill a hole like this?

1589349531049.jpeg

The box is a bakelite box belonging to a 1939 Gillette Popular.

1589349670943.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have not. It might work but @tonich might have an idea. I think that he may have restored some cases but they may have been timber cases.

I don't think it'd work, fmueller. I'm speaking from experience in building scale models, and the stuff you have there is more in the line of an auto body putty filler. Fine for small scratches and surface dings and dents, but not very good as a large surface filler that requires strength and support. Kind of like using plaster to fill a big hole when bricks are really needed. Another problem would be matching the color of the original Bakelite.

Other folks might have some other ideas, but initially I think you should use a two part epoxy putty or paste to build up and fill the hole. These generally give you some working time; a toothpick or small screwdriver dipped in water allows you to work the putty into position and get things smooth and flush to the original piece.

Another method that might work, but would require a little bit more effort, would involve a thicker cyanoacrylate glue, a powder, like baking soda or talc, and a fast set accelerator (a spray that instantly "sets" krazy glues). You would mix a little of the powder and cyanoacrylate, then apply this mix by dabbing it on the damaged area, gradually building up a fillet. a quick spray of the accelerator leaves a rock hard lump that can be sanded to an almost glass smooth finish.

A couple of ideas for you! Let me know how it goes.

Don

You will need mesh reinforcement in conjunction with two pack resin to give it strength; similar technique used to fill holes in car body panels.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. The product description of the putty recommends it mostly for cracks and scratches, so a hole would be difficult.

With the other stuff, I'd probably get myself another piece of bakelite to practice on. I am kinda attached to that little box and would hate to do more harm than good.

And then maybe I put the whole project off until I have gotten used to the hole, and can regard it as part of the box's long and eventful history! 😁

I came upon this thread from a Dougle search involving 'bakelite'

So my take on the ways I go about it ..... maybe useful in future or not?

I use the old shirt box lid trick, the clear plastic that just about everything comes sealed in these days, once shirt boxes had lids that were a great source of big flat sheets of it, so i call it shirt box lids even if i cut it from the packaging around a spanner/screwdriver/battery etc. Some times even the corners will fit nicely too.

1 cut desired backing plate from said material, bend/crease to shape with enough spare so you can fix in place.
2 spray face with silicone spray, [acts as a release agent] or smear with 0.00009 thickness of dish soap
3 set aside so it dries a little while[4]
4 sand off some donor colour for top coat from a donor or inconspicuous place onto a sheet of paper for collection, set aside for later top coat only! unless your donor gives up enough to fill the desired amount?

begin by cleaning the break with Acetone, not wildly it will rip the shine from bakelite quicker than you can glue your fingers together in the latter steps, so i use a Q tip.
next tape the template shirt box to back of repair
begin layering in your poison of choice, i start with CA coating all edges then tap in from a puffer bottle Self Raising Flour, my poison of choice!
baking soda, yes, but is bigger grains than flour, CA sets with moisture, so the baking soda is just a popular myth that it 'accelerates' setting, some peanut tried it and then spread like wildfire as an accelerant throughout the internet?

CA loves 'organic' material, if you wish for reinforcement i achieve that with cotton sheet or cotton wool in rare cases fiberglass.

ok ..... layering in your poison of choice/reinforced with your choice until shape desired
remove your backing, it will be stuck down so if it comes away eventually and your repair is still in place, success!

sand repair back to a pooftenth below finished level, top with CA and your donor colour, then sand that to blend with the surfaces around repair.

polish your item with brass polish or any metal polish, buff, and job done. beware though depending on the thickness of your colour coat it is easy to put it on and take it straight back off trying to finish it depending on depth. polish your donor area similarly.

I've tried and used lots of filler material with cheap CA:
cotton wool, is great
flour as said is my choice fine grains sands smooth, unset excess blows out easy
condes crystals for a real dark almost black colour.
ground black pepper[commercial ground fine]
nutmeg/cinnamon
sulphur
instant coffee
ground glass
fiberglass
All depends on desired colour, I have nothing against baking soda its just another granule or powder that works.

Top Bottom