What's new

Percolator Love

Ok, here's an update on the latest percolators I've recently added to my quickly growing collection. From L-R a small Mirro stove top $5 at an antique store, an Eckoware stainless stove top $5 at an antique store, an unknown brand stove top $9 at an antique store, a near mint condition electric Corning Ware $5 at Goodwill and a plastic Mirro electric that my mom still had, she paid $9.99 for it on October 4, 1982. The receipt was still in the box. I'm now up to eight of them!

proxy.php

Ok, here's an update on the latest percolators I've recently added to my quickly growing collection. From L-R a small Mirro stove top $5 at an antique store, an Eckoware stainless stove top $5 at an antique store, an unknown brand stove top $9 at an antique store, a near mint condition electric Corning Ware $5 at Goodwill and a plastic Mirro electric that my mom still had, she paid $9.99 for it on October 4, 1982. The receipt was still in the box. I'm now up to eight of them!

proxy.php

Looks like its time for a showdown or perc-up. Which makes the best cup of coffee?

proxy.php

Wow, nice collection. The CorningWare is excellent. I'll need to expand my shopping.

Been perking for years and love my coffee made from a percolator. I have an old Revereware stove top percolator that I use at home and an electric Farberware that I use at the office.

People always ask me, don't they make awful coffee? I always tell them that to my taste it makes the best coffee. They're always a great conversation piece too.

One of my favorite things about that stove top percolator is that it will probably outlast me. Love things made to last.

Chris

I can't really say that one makes the better coffee than the others, but I do prefer the stove tops because I can let them perk as long as I want. They seem to be everywhere in antique and thrift stores, I've passed on several that were similar to what I've already found in a short time.

73mountaineer I'd highly recommend getting the Farberware, for $20 you can't go wrong. And if you don't like it you can always return it.

I have been trying to use a vintage Foley I used to use for camping. I know once made good coffee but I must be doing something wrong now. The coffee is always weak. I have used the usual amount per cup and perked for 8 minutes. I dunno... I always thought perked coffee was stronger. Not mine. I made a pour over after I chucked the weak perk this morning and it was much stronger than the perked. Weird.

My mother, who was otherwise quite a good cook, made the world's worst (super strong) perked coffee. Once I became aware of other ways to make coffee, I threw away my pot and haven't used one since. If I remember right, perked coffee tended to be very acidic and besides the taste, really didn't sit well with me. Good to see that everyone is experimenting, but I'll take a pass on this one.

Bought this a few months ago on Ebay and LOVE it. It is a stovetop Revere manufactured before 1968 and so has 50% more copper on the bottom. Makes smokin' hot coffee compared to my old drip maker.

proxy.php

I get my coffee during the week using a Keurig, however, on the weekends I use the Farberware Perculator only (pictured in a previous post). I use a rounded metal measuring tablespoon to get consistant results. One scoop per cup of coffee. I use the inside measuring marks of the perculator for the cups. I put it on the burner on the medium/high setting until it starts to perc. Once it does, I turn it down to low/medium for 6 minutes. I normally use the small basket drip filters for the perc. Haven't been able to find the Kroger style filter disks yet. I did find that I can get a french press style taste if I don't use a filter. This allows the coffee bean oil to drip down through the perc basket.

Bought a Farberware Yosemite about 8 years ago. Just broke it out last weekend after after a five or six year hiatus - it makes fantastic joe! I forgot how good perked coffee was and it looks like I'll be perkolatin' more often.

$Farberware-50124-Yosemite-Percolator--18729_large.jpg

I saw a daisy of one made out of glass at an estate sale couple weeks ago and after reading this thread I should have bought it. Argh. Might have to go looking for one.

Also a nod toward modernism scroll down and look at the Kahava coffe maker. Looks like a modern twist on a Perc. Not sure about grabbing a hit glass of just brewed coffee.
http://www.incrediblethings.com/lists/incredible-coffee-maker-designs/

A few interesting looking machines listed in that link. I don't know who would have the patience to wait on that 50 bean coffee roaster/grinder/brewer combo. I watched this video (with poor audio quality) but could not make out how the glass drum was being driven through the handle. For such a potentially sophisticated setup, the grinder and brewer were low key. Cowboy coffee brewing (on second look, there looks to be a press pot in the kit).

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom