What's new

Percolator Love

Normally I use a French Press for daily coffee. Recently I picked up a near perfect Pyrex percolator. The coffee is different than the press. Not bad if done right. I've been giving it a workout a couple days a week. Anyone else running a percolator out there?

proxy.php

...Ive thought about getting one of the electric models. A friend of mine used to have one, and I always thought it made a decent cup...if it was fresh. Once it sat in there in "warming mode", it would go to hell...but since I put my coffee in a thermos immediately after brewing, I thought I might give the ol' percolator a try...

Its the only way we drink Coffee aside from an Espresso machine! not sure how you guys in the USA do it but this is the one I use ;)

$31eDj83ygNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

These threads on percolators remind me of staying with my grandparents and my grandfather making coffee with a stove top percolator. Really good memories.

I use a Faberware stainless Percolator quite often but It has recently fallen out of favor for a pour over.

After years of drinking lukewarm, weak coffee from a drip system, I went on the 'bay and purchased a NOS Hamilton Beach, circa 1970. That was 6 years ago and I haven't looked back since.

While not my everyday brewing method I do like the percolator. We have a Corning Ware electric and a couple of stovetops. Part of the appeal is the nostalgia factor and the other part is the unique flavor that percolation, done right, imparts to the coffee.

I have 3-cup and 9-cup stove-top percolators and use them exclusively. The cups are tea-cup sized, not super-sized mugs, so 3-cups gets me through the morning (SWMBO drinks tea) and 9-cup is great for when we have company, or for drinking coffee throughout the day. I let the grinds settle at the bottom of the pot before pouring, sort of like Turkish coffee that way. But I have read somewhere of an old-school approach that involved tossing in the beaten white of an egg, which acted as a filter of sorts. Never tried it though. There is a roasted or rounded flavor that percolated coffee has that appeals to me more than drip-filtered coffee--apart from this, it's sort of the same spirit that led me to wet-shaving.

Attachments

• $41rmoBq04FL._AA160_.jpg
    $41rmoBq04FL._AA160_.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 301
  • $41-BbbL3CSL._AA160_.jpg
    $41-BbbL3CSL._AA160_.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
was in a hurry this morning (sunday) so i made a quicky-pot of drip coffee

booooooo missing my sunday-perc after the second sip :cursing:

lub my conrningware stovetop....but i suuuuuure like the look of those stainless-steel campsite percs.

i've seen them at Cabello's, an outfitter store here in canada....hrmmmm :001_wub:

it's not AD if you buy just ONE...right? RIGHT ?! :crying:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_percolator

From above article:

The percolating coffee pot was invented by the British scientist and soldier Count Rumford, otherwise known as Sir Benjamin Thompson (1753–1814). He invented a percolating coffee pot following his pioneering work with the Bavarian Army, where he improved the diet of the soldiers as well as their clothes

and,

However, percolator enthusiasts praise the percolator's hotter, more 'robust' coffee, and maintain that the potential pitfalls of this brewing method can be eliminated by careful control of the brewing process.

The rugged, practical beginnings of the perc, and the hands-on finesse required to achieve good/better/best results may be what appeals to us wet-shavers!! :badger:

Warning: I've found that newer electric percolators have internal thermostats that, because they limit the brewing time, won't allow for a strong brew (which, at least IMHO, is the whole point). I've been on a vacuum brewing kick for a few months, but otherwise I use a stovetop model

Warning: I've found that newer electric percolators have internal thermostats that, because they limit the brewing time, won't allow for a strong brew (which, at least IMHO, is the whole point). I've been on a vacuum brewing kick for a few months, but otherwise I use a stovetop model

Just curious. How long do you let it perc? I've been doing 4 min.

About the only times I'll have coffee from a percolator is when I'm camping. But I also have a microwave coffee percolator that puts out a decent cup. One thing about any percolator system is keeping them clean! They need to be washed after every brew.

We use a percolator on weekends and I can't imagine doing without. My wife and I have mastered a system - 1 cardamon seed and a dash of salt - boil the water in a kettle - transfer to the percolator -place on pre-heated stove top element for exactly 7 minutes. Then enjoy.

Legion

Staff member
This is my old one.

proxy.php

Sadly money got a bit tight and it had to go to a new home. I use one similar to MintR33's now. As he said, they are the most common in Australia. It works fine, but doesn't look as cool in the kitchen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom