What's new

Penworks Butterscotch Finest from Tony...

Tony from Penworks has agreed to put together a brush for me. I'm looking for a good brush for creams, eating soaps, bowl and face lathering. Dense, soft tips but with good backbone.

This will only be my 3rd brush Vulfix Best "Mayfair" 20mm-47mm too floppy, Semogue 830(Love it)... So I do have a question! The knot will be a 22mm finest but I'm undecided on the loft. I'm thinking 45mm-46mm!? The brush pictured is set at 48mm.

What do you guys that have had experience with TGN finest think? I want a nice tight precise knot that wont splay to much. It needs to handle everything well and be a regular part of my rotation. Thanks, Matt

Last edited:
Last week I got the exact, Finest badger knot and butterscotch handle from Tony. I glued in the knot and have been using it for around six days. Like my six other TGN Finest re-stored brushes, I think its the best deal going for a quality badger, without paying the price for the high end brushes. I think I have around $45 into the brush.

I have to say that I have two of Frank Shaving, butterscotch handled, Finest badger brushes coming ( $18.00 each, with shipping) . I'm not sure if the badger knots in them are up to the quality of the TGN Finest or the FS silvertip. I have not receive them yet. The silvertip Frank Shaving brushes are getting good reports, but the Finest badger may be another story.

Last edited:
Beautiful brush. I think you're on the right track to choose a loft between 45 to 46mm. I like my brushes to have a lot of backbone and I've found lofts over 47 mm too floppy for me regardless of the badger hair type. My ideal is a 19 to 22mm knot with a 45 to 46mm loft.

Yeah I dont think I want to go any higher than 46mm. I'm still undecided on a fan or bulb shape also. I need to make up my mind soon. Ive purchase a Semogue 1470 also.

Top Bottom