What's new

Penhaligons discontinued shave items

I bought Blenheim Bouquet Shave Soap and Aftershave Splash at Harrod’s in London several months ago. Hope it has not been discontinued since it is now my favorite scent!

I bought Blenheim Bouquet Shave Soap and Aftershave Splash at Harrod’s in London several months ago. Hope it has not been discontinued since it is now my favorite scent!

If experience tells me anything it is that you should call the store and see if they have more in stock. Sadly, products such as these rarely come back into the catalogue.

I can't find the shaving cream anywhere, it was my wife's favorite scent and would be something to remember her by. Had I not finished the jar up. Don't tell me they discontinued the cream altogether?
"Don't tell me they discontinued the cream."
Thank you, Airplane.

But seriously, is it nowhere to be found? I'm pissed! Whine, whine, yada yada yada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God! I still have the old tallow Englsh Fern shave soap and the EdT. I've been hoping they'd start making an aftershave now that's gone down the drain.

Apparently the cream is available from their uk site? I think I had gotten my jar from West Coast Shaving, but I could be wrong. Maybe it was Smallflower.

I can't find the shaving cream anywhere, it was my wife's favorite scent and would be something to remember her by. Had I not finished the jar up. Don't tell me they discontinued the cream altogether?
"Don't tell me they discontinued the cream."
Thank you, Airplane.

But seriously, is it nowhere to be found? I'm pissed! Whine, whine, yada yada yada

sorry to hear about your wife.
you might find BB cream from time to time on the auction sites.

sorry to hear about your wife.
you might find BB cream from time to time on the auction sites.

So it has officially been discontinued then? Haven't seen it on ebay, any other suggestions for auctions of such things?

They don't offer any Hammam Bouquet shaving related items anymore no but the yes, they still offer the EDT. They recently discontinued English Fern and Douro, therefore the only "classic" colognes Penhaligon's still produces are Hammam and Blenheim Bouquet but both of them are mere shadows of their former self's, that is my opinion at least.
I think the reasons why they they haven't come around and discontinue Hammam Bouqueas as well is because (supposedly at least, I haven't seen any actual proof of this being the case) it was the first perfume Mr William Penhaligon made and I guess for them to try to keep try and portray themselves as an old English Perfume house (now a faux Victorian image IMO), they reluctantly have to keep their first perfume in their lineup. All the the while they keep pumping out like 100 new perfumes every week and most of them with giant ugly antlers as caps, instead of real traditional glass stopper they used have not too long ago. Addition to all that, isn't Hammam Bouquet practically the sole reason for them keep their oh so important royal warrants?

Or am I being too harsh on them? I'm still quit mad at their decision to discontinue English Fern and Douro. ;)
You do realise that Penhaligons and Jeavons disappeared and were relaunched only in the 1970's. So they are late 20th Century not Victorian...

Penhaligon's operated as an independent firm at least up until the late 50s/early 60s. I have a bottle from this era.

Last edited:
You do realise that Penhaligons and Jeavons disappeared and were relaunched only in the 1970's. So they are late 20th Century not Victorian...

Penhaligon's operated as an independent firm at least up until the late 50s/early 60s. I have a bottle from this era.

As an addition to my last post - after the original Penhaligon closed down the Hammam Extract was still available to be purchased at Truefitt & Hill and possible at Trumpers too (that's at least what I've heard from people who bought it during this time), right up until '75 when Sheila Pickles took over. There is also an interesting interview with the woman, where she tells that when she and her partners took over there was still an elderly barber operating for Penhaligon's, he had one remaining customer. I Can see if I can find that article/interview again. So no, Penhaligon is not a late 20th-century company.

Last edited:
As an addition to my last post - after the original Penhaligon closed down the Hammam Extract was still available to be purchased at Truefitt & Hill and possible at Trumpers too (that's at least what I've heard from people who bought it during this time), right up until '75 when Sheila Pickles took over. There is also an interesting interview with the woman, where she tells that when she and her partners took over there was still an elderly barber operating for Penhaligon's, he had one remaining customer. I Can see if I can find that article/interview again. So no, Penhaligon is not a late 20th-century company.
A resurrected company is still a resurrected company. I suppose Abercrombie and Fitch was founded in 1892 too...

Upon contacting Penhaligon's I am told that they do not make the shave cream in a jar anymore and that they are out of stock as the saying goes "for the duration." Now of course I'm mad I didn't keep that jar even for sentimental purposes. They have the cologne of BB but they are only going to make the tube of cream when they do start making it again, whenever that is. Time to go black market shopping lol, for all things, shave cream, I find that amusing. Someone somewhere out there has to have a jar of the stuff. Actually, I found the cream to be pretty thin in the jar, but maybe that was the batch I got, I dunno.

A resurrected company is still a resurrected company. I suppose Abercrombie and Fitch was founded in 1892 too...

In your first post, you basically said that Penhaligon defunct in the early in early 20th century, only to be "resurrected" in 1975 and should, according to you, be seen as a late 20th company. I think I disproved this notion, Penhaligon and their products existed for the most part of the whole 20th century, albeit with different owners.

Gentlemans nod is making a BB and EF homage, very nice imho.

I saw that. Still, god damn I'm mad I got rid of the jar. Ok, no crying over spilt cream, I know. Did you get the Sir Winston soap, how do you think it compares to the original BB scent?

In your first post, you basically said that Penhaligon defunct in the early in early 20th century, only to be "resurrected" in 1975 and should, according to you, be seen as a late 20th company. I think I disproved this notion, Penhaligon and their products existed for the most part of the whole 20th century, albeit with different owners.
How do you get:
you basically said that Penhaligon defunct in the early in early 20th century...

From this:

I didn't say they didn't exist throughout the 20th Century. I am stating that their current provenance begins in 1975 when Sheila Pickles opened a brand new store in Covent Garden without any historical links to St James having obtained the name and the formulas.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Gotta love internet forums....
Bump a year old thread to nitpick about when a company went out of business. Jeesh!

How do you get:
you basically said that Penhaligon defunct in the early in early 20th century...

From this:

I didn't say they didn't exist throughout the 20th Century. I am stating that their current provenance begins in 1975 when Sheila Pickles opened a brand new store in Covent Garden without any historical links to St James having obtained the name and the formulas.

Are you actually reading your own posts? You said that Penhaligons and Jeavons disappeared – which interpreted to you saying they were basically defunct and only to be relaunched in the 1970s.

If you mean the actual Penhaligon and Jeavons –yes, you are right but Penhaligon as a firm continued to operate without Jeavons and moved to a different address, namely that on in Bury street where they had their own shop. well into the 60s. Yes, I admit, the history after that is a somewhat murky –- after they moved out from Bury Street, they had their own a shop in Old Bond Street for a while, which I believe closed but I’m unable to find exactly when this happened.

After that, Some claims – claims I happened to believe by the way-- that Truefitt or Trumper (who were owned by the same owner during this time by the way) bought the formula for the Hammam Extract and continued to supply it, together with some additional hairdressing (like Aleimma for example) and were sold at Truefitt’s establishment at Old Bond Street. But Penhaligon still existed as an independent company during this time, although a very small and practically dying one.

In 1975 Sheila Pickles and her partners bought the company and revived (revived, not relaunch) Penhaligon’s and they did a very fine job if you asked me – they continued to offer the Hammam Extract and new Hammam Bouquet Toilet Water and also began bringin back old toilet waters and perfumes from original formulas. I will attach an interview with Sheila Pickles about this time.

I will attach the interview with Sheila Pickles here in a moment.

Please, inform me if you still think I misinterpreted your original post.

I saw that. Still, god damn I'm mad I got rid of the jar. Ok, no crying over spilt cream, I know. Did you get the Sir Winston soap, how do you think it compares to the original BB scent?

So i also have the old bb glass jar 3/4s filled but didn’t compare yet. I did try winston and arthur soap and asl. Winston soap was that lemon pepper hit with a bit more lavender than I remember and definitely not from the bb edt. The asl was really nice with less noticeable lavender, just the pepper and lemon.

the arthur asl is spot on like the edt, havent tried the soap yet,

Top Bottom