What's new

Pencils

This thread is very much needed to properly fill out the wiki, although i dont use them often, i am going to need some again to use for planning out some cool calligraphy stuff and sculpting a page, for that a softer and easier to erase pencil would be a preference, i was looing at the rhodia pencils but know nothing about them,

although the Uni Kuru Toga mechanical pencils do hold a great interest as well, and they are cheap

Syn, you get could a point on some 9-6H (very hard lead) to be very fine. So fine it wouldn't need to be erased etc it would also be a very light line. The B leads will smear and the higher the number for B the dark and softer. HB or F is the middleground.

I have a few Eversharp Mechanical pencils that are OLD. I don't need to use them and I don't... Pencils are just not fun to write with. If I needed to lay a page out and break out a t-square and triangles, thats different. I have lead holders for that.

I worried a hard and fine tip would indent on the page though, i was thinking broad and soft and easy to erase

I enjoy using Sumo Grip mechanical pencils. Here is a link for their website. They are over-sized, but I like that unique feature, more fun than a scrawny #2. The section promotes proper grip so that helps your handwriting, especially mine. I stumbled over these one day whilst looking at Rhodia pads in an art store in downtown Chicago, so other than that store (Ubrecht) and online, I don't know where else they are sold

I worried a hard and fine tip would indent on the page though, i was thinking broad and soft and easy to erase
If you don't press down and don't use too fine of a tip it won't indent. You may have trouble seeing the lines. Maybe a 2-3H would be better. I think you will be unhappy with softer lead. Some ink won't go where lead has been no matter when it was erased. Could be an ink thing too.

Detailed erasing is a pain in the tookus too... I'm just trying to apply what I remember to something somewhat related but completely different.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Favorites

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
I don't think we have those here in stores.

OK, Dick Blick says they have 'em, but I've never seen any yet. They look nice.

Really? They are nice. We can get them in most art supply places here. I'll get you a couple, If you like.

The only pencils I use a re the disposable clicky ones. Whichever are cheapest on the rack at the time I need them. I do want to get a vintage FP and pencil pair but am not sure if those short and thick leads I have seen for them are even available anywhere.

Those Blackwings look nice.

My pencil horizon is limited to what I see in Staples or the local stationery store. Pencils aren't prominently featured among my writing instruments, but they have their place.

And for people like us, using one versus another matters.

The Ticonderoga Noir (No. 2 HB), which is usually available in Staples, is my choice among those I see.

Do you have a favorite wooden writing instrument? Sharpener?

Randy

Here's my favorite wooden writing instrument (wonderfully springy, smooth fine nib that writes much nicer than it's "Iridium Point Germany" markings suggest):

Attachments

• $NoName_01.JPG
    $NoName_01.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 165
  • $NoName_02.JPG
    $NoName_02.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
I can't stand o use wooden pencils. I use mechs all the time every day rotrings, ubi's,
and another I don't know the name but w/ every time I lift off the paper the lead automatically turns so I have a sharp point.
love most of my pencils. I have pens but they always seem to dry out before I can use it.

I have pens but they always seem to dry out before I can use it.

I'm back to using fountain pens after many years, which is to say I have purchased a few recently.

Collateral damage from reading this site.

With respect to dry pens, I like to keep one fountain pen inked at a time, and use it every day. While daily use is not necessary for a pen otherwise properly maintained, the results have always been good. I have reason to reach for the pen anyway, at least once a day.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I have two mechanicals: a Zebra and a KuruToga High-Grade Roulette in Gun Metal finish
The Zebra has been a companion for around 10 years, which is not bad at all for something under $5. The KuruToga's rotating lead feature is why I picked this one up, but the pencil is a bit long for me and I think I might have been better off with the original KuruToga in plastic.

Top Bottom