What's new

Pen Review: Platinum Preppy

This review format has been shamelessly copied from Jessy who copied it from Bob. :001_cool:

Platinum Preppy

The Pen

The Platinum Preppy is one of several entry level fountain pens. While there are several that can be had for less (eg - Pilot Varsity), this one gives you the experience of being able to try different inks rather than being disposable. That's not to say this is a heirloom quality pen, it's clear resin pen that feels quite good in the hand.

Specs

Color: Clear with black feed and nib, smoke tip of the cap and clip.
Body Material – Resin
Grip Material – Slightly smaller than the barrel
Internal Parts –
Filling Scheme – Cartridge/Converter, eyedropper
Nib - Black steel nib
Furniture –
Diameter Body – 12 mm
Diameter Cap and Clip – 17 mm
Diameter Grip – 9.96 mm
Body Length– 122 mm (nib to end; uncapped)
Cap Length– 59.69 mm
Capped Length - 138 mm
Nib Length -– 14.5 mm
Body and Cap Weight – 13 gm
Ink Capacity – ?

$IMG_3421 (Medium).jpg

Fit and Finish

Fit and finish is good for this price point and doesn't feel overly cheap. The feed section screws to the barrel securely and the cap clicks on solidly. Eventually, I suppose the plastic can weaken and crack rendering the pen unusable, but with reasonable care I don't see why the Preppy won't give you good service for quite a while.
A word needs to be said about the cap - inside where there is a spring loaded sleeve that seals the nib from the air. This is the secret to Platinum's claim of the pen writing after sitting for a prolonged period of time, I've heard up to a year. I haven't had the pen long enough to test this out yet.

The clear body of the pen has labels silk screened on that cover most of it and I found it detracted from the otherwise simple lines of the pen. A few minutes work with a paper towel and 92% rubbing alcohol cleaned the unwanted labels with no damage to the barrel. Much nicer now.

$IMG_3422 (Medium).jpg

The Nib

The nib is a basic medium steel nib. Nothing fancy but it's miles better in feel than the Pilot G2 Gel pens I came from. It starts writing as soon as the tip gets on the paper and delivers a clean line. The feed keeps up with the fast drills from the Palmer Method.

$IMG_3419 (Medium).jpg

Hand Feel

As noted above, it's plastic, but doesn't feel so cheap that it feels like it's about to fall apart. Even with the light weight it will write with just the pen weight.

Ink Capacity

The converter holds probably a standard amount of ink, and eyedroppered it holds 3.5 - 4 ml. The converter is probably overkill for this pen, but I think the gold trim looks pretty nice.

Price Point/Purchase Options

This is most definitely an inexpensive entry level fountain pen that sells at most places for under $4. It's more of an add on purchase when buying from an online store as the shipping alone will run double or more than the pen price. The converter is around $7 and doesn't make real good sense to buy with the Preppy, but I did it anyway thinking I would eventually upgrade to the aluminum bodied Plaisir in the future.

One of the more interesting aspects of the Preppy is the nib is able to be pulled straight out of the feed and can be replaced with a highlighter or marker tip, sold two for $3. With the appropriate ink, it can even write on white boards, making this quite the versatile pen.

Summary

This is a pen that is suitable for an introduction to fountain pens or as one that is taken to the rough-and-tumble job site where a more expensive pen is not an option.

Bottom Line

Good inexpensive pen that is an acceptable writer and a step up from the roller ball pens I had been using.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thanks for the review!

The Preppy is a decent pen, and a good, cheap intro. You know you have a cheap pen when the converter costs more than the pen! I always get a kick out of that.

:lol:

They eyedropper well, and hold a lot of ink, but I think you need the washer as well as the silicone grease. Noodler's often puts them in their boxes of 4.5 oz ink as an eyedroppered "freebie", which is where I met them.

The nibs are hit-n-miss in terms of scratch quality ... some are good, some are "meh" or worse, but at this price you don't get a nibmeister to personally inspect each one at the factory. I find the plastic a bit on the brittle side, compared to more expensive pens.

ive played with a few, and given as many away as PIFs to get people going, they are fun little pens and a great way to make your way into the NIB, thanks for taking the time, this really is one of the beginner staples that should have probably been in the review section a long time ago lol

I had to revise the estimate on the eyedropper ink capacity. It actually holds a good deal more than the 2.5 ml I estimated. To the bottom of the threads, the barrel holds 3.5 - 4 ml of ink. Quite a bit more.

I also entirely forgot to include one of the more interesting aspects of the Preppy. The nib is able to pull straight out of the feed and can be replaced with a highlighter or marker tip, sold two for $3. With the appropriate ink, it can even write on white boards, making this quite the versatile pen.

nice review. i've rubbed the silk screen off all my preppys as well. hate the cluttered look.

and i eyedropper mine with silicone grease on the threads and an o-ring. the threads are quite loose on the preppy and your pocket or shirt will thank you for using an o-ring as well.

I was PIF'd one that had been eyedropper converted. I ended up with more ink on my hands than on the paper it seemed like. No visible cracks either. But it did have a nice nib. Especially for such a inexpensive pen. (I am going from memory - I haven't tried using it in over a year.)

I had to give 3 of these to people who were very interested when I showed them my Preppy. The colors are great and the performance is great if you get a good one. I did get a dud which I had to return but otherwise had great performance - especially the medium nib.

I really like the idea of removing the silk screen. I may do that on my next one if I can keep my hands on it!

Nice review. When I use Bay State Blue, this is the pen I use. It writes well, and I don't have to worry about it much if the ink destroys it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Next time I order from Goulet pens I'm gonna hafta throw in a couple of Preppies!

Top Bottom