What's new

Pen Review - Pelikan P476 (1973)

Do you have an old fountain pen ageing away in a bottom draw?

• Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
Just had to share what come across my desk recently, some of you may remember it, Pelikan P476.
WP_20181118_001 copy.jpg WP_20181118_003 sm.jpg
It came to me for cleaning/testing as it's been idle for quite awhile. It just needed some TLC and a little shine to bring it back to life. They were introduced in the '70s to compete with the transition to ballpoints. Really common back then as an "every day carry" for office use or student, they're hard to find now.

A conservative design using chrome and plastic, rather than the typical ostentatious Souveran range of Pelikan pens. Despite using cheaper materials, the quality and build is what I would expect from Pelikan, especially the stainless steel nib enabling it to last decades without damage. The downside is it's "stiff as a board", no flex. It's very
unpretentious, what I would expect from a '70's businessman, sitting in a pocket with just the matte black cap and Pelikan logo on the finial. The brushed chrome protects it from age and this one is mighty handsome, no scratches. It has a pretty blue ink-view window that is not very functional since they use cartridges and a barrel that has room for a spare. A simple design that works for me and feels comfortable in the hand.

The Pelikan F nib, almost an EF, lays a consistent thin line without skipping, perfect for those with smaller or fine delicate handwriting. It writes soft and smooth, not toothy or scratchy which people normally associate with a fine nib. I tried it with the 2018 Pelikan Edelstein Olivine - very nice. This has an "old-school" nib and feed not like the nib units that Pelikan use today. They came with a good range of nibs even equivalent left-oblique nibs for 'lefties'.

It was priced well in the day, affordable for a businessman or just beyond a school pen. They are not common today, only a few sold each year, and unfortunately, collectors have over-inflated the price. Given it still has the original box and papers, even the cartridges I suspect this one would sell for US$100+. I don't think it's fair, they were made for people to use and experience. The price excludes most people from owning and using it. Sadly it's not mine so going back to the owner. (I did have a nice play with it though.) I hope he uses it and doesn't put in on the shelf or in a pen display.

Some of the best vintage pens are locked away by investors. If you have one lying around, don't let it die, pull it out, give it to a hobbyist who can restore in and get it back out in the field. Vintage pens are becoming harder to find, and they were made to last a lifetime (even more) so it's not fair that they languish as lost property in someone's draw.

Lecture over, I just love fountain pens and want them out there for young people to experience. Get them out and write with a fountain pen, they will improve your penmanship.
20181003 Pelikan P476 a copy.jpg 20181003 Pelikan P476 c copy.jpg

Nice review; I was not aware of this model

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes, they're not that common any more, which is why I wanted to put it up. A good work-horse in the day.

I've got more reviews planned so that I can sell them when I have enough permissions. ;-)

The pen was just sold for AU$110 after being listed for 3 days. Obviously my price was too low. I hope he appreciates it. :)

Top Bottom