What's new

Pen recommendations?

Thanks to the many strong reviews of the Lamy Safari, I chose that as my first fountain pen. I've been very happy with it and am glad it was my first fountain pen purchase. I'm now looking for a second fountain pen that looks a little more professional for work and would like suggestions. I'd like to stay under $100. A couple I've seen so far that look nice to me are the Lamy Studio or Cross Bailey.

Besides new pens, I've also seen a few in antique stores but don't really know what to look for when buying a used fountain (besides bent tips). Are there any wiki articles or threads on what to watch for?

Thanks!

Lot of choices in that range. Lot of varying pen sizes, materials, filling mechanisms. I could throw out names, but it would be based on what I like, not what you are looking for.

Sheaffer 300 is a "professional" looking pen, as is the Parker Sonnet. And I have the Studio and that's a fine pen as well. Happy hunting.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Pelikan M200/205 can still be found for around $100. Professional looking, reliable quality pen. You can always get most of your money back on a Pelikan.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Pilot Custom Heritage 92 ... Japanese ebay sellers will get you this pen for not much more than a hundred.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
In Japanese pens:

Pilot 742
Platinum #3776 Century

In Old Name pens:

Sheaffer Prelude (Now made in China but I recently compared a new one with my FT Madison made one and the new one was every bit as good and actually cheaper than the old one was when I bought it.)

In used pens that should do fine:

Parker 45.
Parker 88, Rialto or Vector
Parker "51" Aerometric
Parker Duofold Centennial or International
Sheaffer Targa
Sheaffer NoNonsense
Sheaffer Imperial
Sheaffer Legacy, Legacy 2, Legacy Heritage
Waterman Man, 100, Opera
Waterman Gentleman
Waterman Preface

Last edited:
jar made some great suggestions, including a couple I would suggest as well....

*Platinum 3776 Century - if you buy through Amazon from a Japanese seller you can get it for around $80 (+/-). (Goulet sells this pen for $176)

*TWSBI 580 - around $50 (piston filler)
*Parker 45/45 Flighter - sometimes available with 14k nibs
*Parker 51/51 Special (Aerometric filler)
*Levenger has their True Writer line of pens
*Pelikan M200/M150 - if you are willing to go the previously owned route (ebay, FPN Classifieds, etc) you can sometimes get these for well under $100. I got one of my M200's for just under $50 about 18 months ago on ebay. Seller had two identical pens going at the same time, one with a M nib the other with an OB. I pursued and won the OB nibbed one. I forget which went for more, but the difference was a single penny.
*Esterbrook J series pens. (J/LJ/SJ) Variety of nibs, and you can get for as little as about $10 - but will probably have to resac it. A restored (or at least resacced) pen will be $30-$40 probably.

I got a Lamy CP1 as a gift this year. Much more sturdy than the Studio, which didn't feel up to the same quality. If I had $100 to spend on a new pen right now, I'd probably be tempted to try a Pilot Vanishing Point.

Thanks for all the great recommendations. I'm enjoying looking each of these up and figuring out what I really want in my next pen.

Any thoughts on Waterman? I lived in France and had a Waterman, but they don't seem to have many sub $100 choices anymore.

Thanks for all the great recommendations. I'm enjoying looking each of these up and figuring out what I really want in my next pen.

Any thoughts on Waterman? I lived in France and had a Waterman, but they don't seem to have many sub $100 choices anymore.

I have a Waterman Expert that I got for about $100 recently that I like a lot. A very nicely made pen for the money and very professional looking. It's performed flawlessly for me.

I'll second [MENTION=86644]Runnin_Ute[/MENTION]'s suggestion of an Esterbrook J pen too. I picked up a few restored ones recently for less than $25 each that have been flawless writers. They would make good office pens, because they are stealthy, attractive, reliable, and inexpensive enough not to fret over. Nibs are easily interchangeable and readily available for not too much coin. But you can't use cartridges or converters; bottled ink only. There's an ebay seller I've come to trust as a source (no relation to me), and if you want his name, PM me. I don't want to post it, because he has live auctions now.

Maybe it's just me, but lately I've had much better luck buying vintage pens than new ones. Don't bother with the Parker Sonnet or Cross Bailey. The Bailey does not post well (and it is pretty much gone) and the Sonnets have variable nibs. The older vintage Parker pens are much better.

I would suggest the Parker 51 or 75. I have both of these and they are outstanding. I also love the ST Dupont Classique which can sometimes be had on Ebay for about $100. These are amazing writers. The later model Parker 51 aerometric versions with the plyglass sacs are pretty much bulletproof pens. The Parker 75 pens have an aerometric sac that lasts pretty well, but it can also take the current Parker converter. I would suggest avoiding vacumatic or piston filled pens for your first vintage pen due to the extra maintenance and hassle.

Top Bottom